QANTAS refunds???

bazzaw

I have had to cancel a Qantas flight to Japan ( as the cruiseship I was to join has cancelled the cruise due to coronavirus) . I cancelled the flight using the Qantas website – and it said that it would cost me a $200 cancellation fee. But since then I have heard nothing from Qantas, no refund into my CC account and of course , as always it is impossible to contact them in any way!!! The booking has disappeared from my Frequent Flyer account so it appears to have been cancelled. Any others with experience in this matter?? What to do??

4 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I have had to cancel a Qantas flight to Japan ( as the cruiseship I was to join has cancelled the cruise due to coronavirus) . I cancelled the flight using the Qantas website – and it said that it would cost me a $200 cancellation fee. But since then I have heard nothing from Qantas, no refund into my CC account and of course , as always it is impossible to contact them in any way!!! The booking has disappeared from my Frequent Flyer account so it appears to have been cancelled. Any others with experience in this matter?? What to do??

Call them. Email them, posted on their social media sites. 

I had an experience last year which had me have two bookings for the one flight and two charges for a Japan flight for one.

Waited over 2 hours for the FF contact number to answer.

i posted on the Qantas social media page and had a reply very quickly.

it did then take some time (weeks) for a refund. Might be worth a try.

When did you cancel? 

It happens sometimes, I’ve cancelled four flights this week and have only received indication of a refund for one and not the other three. And I’m a Platinum member so one of their top loyalty members. And this week they are being hammered with all the virus issues. 

Edited by Pushka

6 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Qantas can take forever to process refunds - at the best of times! Give them a couple of weeks and then get in touch with them.  The best way to do that is via SMS. They have a phone number on their website which allows this. They then contact you by sms and do the whole communication that way so you're not on the phone for hours.

I'll have a look and try to find it for you.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Qantas can take forever to process refunds - at the best of times! Give them a couple of weeks and then get in touch with them.  The best way to do that is via SMS. They have a phone number on their website which allows this. They then contact you by sms and do the whole communication that way so you're not on the phone for hours.

I can't find the sms number. I think they also offer it via the freecall number - from memory, it might be one of the options if you don't want to stay on hold.

Just keep all your details - in my experience they do sometimes need a nudge to do the refund and you'll need your booking number and I like to have the amount, card used, and date of cancellation on hand.

59 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Lol ! Your lucky to get a refund,I spent 2 hours and 45 minutes waiting to be told it would cost me $400 per person to cancel a fare that cost $395.

Thanks Qantas

8 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Lol ! Your lucky to get a refund,I spent 2 hours and 45 minutes waiting to be told it would cost me $400 per person to cancel a fare that cost $395.

Thanks Qantas

It sounds like you had saver fares, which attract higher cancellation fees and are standard across the board regardless of how much the fare itself is. As ridiculous as it sounds, those are the conditions you agree to when booking the fare.

7 hours ago, bazzaw said:

as always it is impossible to contact them in any way!!!

Whenever I've had to contact Qantas I have never found it "impossible". Call centre or Facebook Messenger usually works a charm for me, especially the latter as it means not having to wait on the phone and I can go and do other things while waiting for a reply. Sounds more like the contact options you have don't suit you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ivanp91 said:

It sounds like you had saver fares, which attract higher cancellation fees and are standard across the board regardless of how much the fare itself is. As ridiculous as it sounds, those are the conditions you agree to when booking the fare.

Whenever I've had to contact Qantas I have never found it "impossible". Call centre or Facebook Messenger usually works a charm for me, especially the latter as it means not having to wait on the phone and I can go and do other things while waiting for a reply. Sounds more like the contact options you have don't suit you.

Yes a saver fare was what I had,,knew the penalties just thought I would try my luck ,tried the messenger 2 days ago still waiting but sure they are inundated.

Cheers Carole

47 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Yes a saver fare was what I had,,knew the penalties just thought I would try my luck ,tried the messenger 2 days ago still waiting but sure they are inundated.

Cheers Carole

So if you won’t receive a refund what are you waiting for?

6 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

I am not an idiot !

just saying I have had no reply that’s all 

That’s normal.  Qantas sometimes just don’t communicate with its passengers over  quite significant service failures and even when a refund is going to come it can be like extracting teeth. So I’d expect they won’t respond or at most send you the generic T&Cs for what you booked. 

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have found companies (TA's, cruise lines, airlines, etc) can always take the money instantly but it may take up to 6 weeks or longer to return money.

The exception to this I’ve found is Celebrity. They seem rather quick. 

21 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I had extended family booked for Japan and they booked flights directly through Qantas. Qantas gave an immediate full refund based on the cruise being cancelled and did not ask for proof or anything. No cancellation fees and the refund was immediate but took 3 days to appear on the account.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 12:32 PM, bazzaw said:

We had premium economy flights booked on Qantas flying from Melbourne to London via Singapore. We were to fly out on 7th April and fly back on 26th April.

Sadly these are some of the earliest flights being impacted by Qantas' reconfiguration of their Australia to London flights. So we received an email saying that our flights had been changed and we should contact Qantas to either accept or cancel.

So... yesterday afternoon, I called them and had to wait 2 hours 15 minutes to speak to someone. Usually they allow a callback option, which was not available yesterday. So, once I finally got to speak to someone, I was told that there were no premium economy seats available back to Australia on the 26th of April. They didn't even offer to bring us back on a partner airline. They just said, we had to choose between changing our date of arrival back to Australia, or choose to cancel and a full refund will be given.

We chose to cancel.

No cancellation or change fees were taken from our original fare. But they did keep the credit card fees, which I'm in the process of trying to get back from them.

In order to get Qantas to reply back to you about your cancellation -

1. Go to their website and log in.

2. Then under search, search for Customer Care Forms.

3. Choose the option from the drop down list that identifies your problem once you're in the online form.

4. Then complete the form and apparently they'll get back to you within a few days. It may be a little longer, given the number of cancellations that they may be experiencing at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Tania

3 hours ago, Peacefulness said:

In order to get Qantas to reply back to you about your cancellation -

1. Go to their website and log in.

2. Then under search, search for Customer Care Forms.

3. Choose the option from the drop down list that identifies your problem once you're in the online form.

4. Then complete the form and apparently they'll get back to you within a few days. It may be a little longer, given the number of cancellations that they may be experiencing at the moment.

The first two flights I had to cancel with QANTAS were booked directly with them using FF points and cash. I had an hour wait on the phone (shorter than I expected) and was able to cancel with a refund of the money paid. It cost us 6,000 points each to cancel. I was happy with that.

The next flights I have to cancel were booked through Princess EZair. QANTAS said I would have to go through the third party I booked through. I don't think Princess will talk to me about it because I booked the cruise through a TA, although the flights were booked on line. I am waiting to hear back from the TA.

50 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The first two flights I had to cancel with QANTAS were booked directly with them using FF points and cash. I had an hour wait on the phone (shorter than I expected) and was able to cancel with a refund of the money paid. It cost us 6,000 points each to cancel. I was happy with that.

The next flights I have to cancel were booked through Princess EZair. QANTAS said I would have to go through the third party I booked through. I don't think Princess will talk to me about it because I booked the cruise through a TA, although the flights were booked on line. I am waiting to hear back from the TA.

I haven't had experience with Princess EZair so not sure what you should do. I'm sure Princess will talk to you about the airfares if you booked it through their website. Try them.

Tania

On 3/12/2020 at 1:52 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Did you receive a refund for the taxes paid?  We have a business class flight booked and may have to cancel. Just wondering if we will get that portion of the cost back.

1 hour ago, Jatee said:

Did you receive a refund for the taxes paid?  We have a business class flight booked and may have to cancel. Just wondering if we will get that portion of the cost back.

We paid for the first two flights with FF points and some cash. QANTAS will refund all the cash, so I assume it would include the taxes. The cash we paid might be the taxes. 

We've never had a cancellation go smoothly with Qantas, but I have found if the normal channels don't go smoothly send a private message through Twitter.   The SMS works, except you may be hanging onto your phone for ages waiting for a response.  Last time we received the taxes back but they charged us three lots of 6,000 cancellation frequent flyer points for the two of us - I am still trying to get that sorted.   The time before that we got refunded points and taxes for just one person and had to chase the remainder, and on it goes.   They are hopeless!