Cruise newbie (practically) - Cruise card question

LSKC

We have only done one cruise and that was many moons ago on Disney. I cannot wrap my head around the cruise card you have to carry around and use to open your cabin door, show when getting drinks at bar (premium package), etc. We are on Edge and I have read you cannot punch holes in their cards due to electronic issue? How do you carry? I've seen lanyards and can't imagine wanting one of those around my neck all the time. Does it get swiped or do they just look at it at the bars, etc. My husband has lanyards that would hold them secure and the front would be visible but they'd be a bit of a pain to pull in and out of the casing each time if its required to be swiped or scanned.

Thanks. 🙂

Edited by LSKC

1 minute ago, LSKC said:

We have only done one cruise and that was many moons ago on Disney. I cannot wrap my head around the cruise card you have to carry around and use to open your cabin door, show when getting drinks at bar (premium package), etc. We are on Edge and I have read you cannot punch holes in their cards due to electronic issue? How do you carry? I've seen lanyards and can't imagine wanting one of those around my neck all the time. Does it get swiped or do they just look at it at the bars, etc. My husband has lanyards that would hold them secure and the front would be visible but they'd be a bit of a pain to pull in and out of the casing each time if its required to be swiped or scanned.

Thanks. 🙂

A hole has been fine in the past.  Many use lanyards. Some lanyards have a pocket at the bottom to simply slide your card. They swipe at bars and shops and your door.

• Like 1

No problem punching a hole, because they put it where it doesn't effect the magnetic strip. You only have to tap it on your door. In the MDR they take the number the first time you use it, then keep it on file for the rest of the cruise. It really is handy to keep it on a magnetic hook on the wall near the cabin door and take it when you leave the room. Most of the bars just look at it to see what drink package you have.

I get annoyed with a lanyard,  and must always have my phone, kindle or iPad with me at all times so I can read, so I use one of the two bags I bought on board on earlier cruises.  one is leather look, slightly larger than an iPhone and has two pockets in it and a small pocket on the front, which is where I keep my sea pass card.  The other one is soft fabric with a pocket attached to the front which is perfect for your sea pass.  It is also large enough to carry phone, iPad mini and/or kindle.  

Both bags have extendable straps so can be carried as cross body or shoulder straps.  If you ask at the shop they will probably look in the store for you.  I only paid $10 US each.

Have fun with your cruise.  You've chosen a lovely cruise line to travel with.  

Sally

• Like 1

I just carry it in a card holder, don't even have to take it out of that to open door, tap door and it opens.  They took it at the bar but just put it on the scanner and all set.  Very easy and non intrusive having the card.  Great not having to sign for anything when on drink packages. 

I carry a leather credit card holder and keep it in my pocket. If I don't have a pocket I put the holder in a wristlet (with my phone). I like the small cc holders because it gives me a place to put receipts. I like the wristlet because I can carry my phone, a small bottle of hand sanitizer and the daily schedule.