“Live From the Explorer” or Z and TB Mambo in the Caribbean

Zqueeze1

Sorry it's about over for you, sounds like you had a great cruise, food and all----maybe you can put a poster (city that you visited) up to cover your office window for a few days until you're ready to work.🤗  Thanks so much for taking up your time to post all those great photos and the stories couldn't have better told.

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Kind of on topic, I guess - have you noticed that the portions overall seem to be smaller, i.e. 'right-sized'?  I noticed that on Explorer in January and was happy to see it, I just wondered if anyone else thought the portions were more normal recently.

I think the portions are actually spot on.  It allows us to get something g else we may want to try without being too much 

Z and TB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I think the portions are actually spot on.  It allows us to get something g else we may want to try without being too much 

Z and TB

In our first Regent cruise, on the Explorer and ending March 2nd, my DH would always order two main dishes and we would share...of course I would order my selected main... and it would be great.  We enjoyed being able to try several extra apps and mains.  We did a lot of gym and pool exercises, though, and did not gain extra pounds.

42 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

No, I agree, I love the portion sizes now. Seems like a few cruises back the portions were bigger and I either left food on the plate and felt bad, or I ate it all and felt bad, too. 

I think they have it about perfect. 

• Thanks 1

Today feels like we are leaving home again. Cue in sad music. We are docked in terminal J and waiting for the inevitable departure calls which should start in a couple of hours. Back to reality and back to work. But, on the bright side, we can start planning for our next adventure which will be onboard the Splendor on 28 Nov. 

Yesterday was a beautiful and bittersweet day. We were one of the first to go through customs and immigration while in Key West. We hit the road by 0800...

C24BDC46-6F39-495A-B243-8F799D3893DA.thumb.jpeg.68f153548dd0d10390e74aa989cfd8b5.jpeg

...and were able to walk the streets for two hours before getting ready for lunch.

While walking Duval Street, we found some very interesting merchandise on display:

73CEBADE-0588-4323-B11A-08B682BC4D82.thumb.jpeg.a81a3b3d08e4e89fd3777f77981dfc12.jpeg

(sorry for the crassness). 
We made it to the southernmost point and back to the ship for a five mile walk:

D4555B9A-A649-41E5-B56E-2F7996FDE3A9.thumb.jpeg.7017f019eab25b603ddcf13daaa051d0.jpeg

By the way, this is not really the southernmost point in the US. The real point is inside the Naval Station adjacent to this monument.
Being ex-mil and OCD prone, I had my packing done by 1100, then we went out to meet Ben and Ophelia for lunch at Alonzo’s in town. We had some blue point oysters, buffalo shrimp, and peel and eat shrimp accompanied by a couple of adult drinks (hydration is important). 
After lunch, we headed off to Sloppy Joe for our traditional Key West bar crawl. Pam and I were joined by two other couples in a very crowded and festive ambiance where we had a few drinks and cocktails. We headed back to the ship at 1500 and I went off to my seat at the pool bar while The. Boss went off to maintain her daily ritual and tradition, taking a two hour nap. Although it was great to socialize at the pool bar, this is where bittersweetness hits high gear as I said goodbye to some new friends and to some of the crew. 
Once back in the room, I got ready for chow and woke up TB.  Bonnie and Debbie pulled out their magic juju beads and scored another reservation for them, us, and Ben and Ophelia at Prime 7. Before our 1830 reservation, I went over to the Explorer Lounge where I drank some water while saying my goodbyes to Elvis and Sanja, two excellent and very friendly bar tenders. I looked around the bar and every seat was filled with new friends so I went down the row shaking hands and trading hugs with all my fellow pre-dinner companions. It felt like I was in the last episode of “Cheers.” 
As we were waiting to be seated for dinner, guess who Ben and Ophelia drag in with them?  None other than the infamous Norman, our New Zealand 🇳🇿 surrogate dad. Again, someone pulls out their magic beads and got the wonderful Risky to set up a table for seven for dinner. Needless to say that we were seated in the back of the restaurant which gave us a beautiful view of the sunset 🌅.

611864F0-B4BE-47FF-90B4-5FA907B5078F.thumb.jpeg.dcd68b9d66cf00af899acc114db43ec2.jpeg

However, being part of this crowd meant that we were probably a little loud as we swapped lies and tall stories and got a couple of stares from other diners. Yup, we became that table that decent people hate to be seated next to. We ate, drank, and laughed for almost three hours and were even joined by Missy and John from Dallas to make it a table for nine.  The evening ended with more hugs and a few tears.

The best clam chowder ever:

C9CDBFBE-756A-4DB6-A984-25097F14A00F.thumb.jpeg.a717273a61a460b91c44b3cb73e197e6.jpeg
Bonnie, Norman, and Debbie:

16C1A1F5-EDE9-4C39-B4FC-DB57C6EC000B.thumb.jpeg.b94a3ad28b62649654978600febbbc3a.jpeg

Alaskan King Crab legs:

F70AE5A9-676A-472C-91A6-91C24E085243.thumb.jpeg.1f0925c9d8fb0a8c08685427a53548e0.jpeg

My beautiful wife being all classy:

7691951C-719D-44CD-BDB3-9708A58B81BF.thumb.jpeg.78ccc4a68c08bb4a513b8f5c94c4ab8f.jpeg

The usual suspects:

F4D90DE9-A05F-4D1D-82EB-D5A763C3E3DD.thumb.jpeg.efce1a53769141d6a7bb7a81cbd4232d.jpeg
My last glass of Malbec wine:

74F769FD-9541-43C2-8A5D-B28C2ACBCEE8.thumb.jpeg.34b75208b44e3d92d07902d246e599f4.jpeg

I'm now waiting for The Boss to make her grand entrance before having breakfast at Compass Rose and heading out back into the real world of work and the Corona virus madness. 
After we get settled back home, I will post some final thoughts. Thanks for sailing with us 
Z and TB

• Like 3

I'm so sorry the cruise is over! This been almost as much fun as being there with you....well, almost. Things are looking pretty dark for our up coming TA on the Explorer, so enjoying your trip was bittersweet as well. Sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for taking us along. So glad you're leaving the BM&M Society in good stead. Safe travels home!

J&L

Roberto, I think your above post (157)  ranks up there with your NYC and Citadel posts from the past as my favorite Z & TB post ever. . . beautiful and bittersweet, just like your final day.   My thanks and appreciation to you as always for generously taking us along, and then royally entertaining us every day with your words and pics.  I probably speak for a few others when I tell you I needed every chuckle this time, given the stresses and challenges of the day.  I look forward to your final thoughts on the cruise when you have a chance to settle in back home, but what I really look forward to (positive thinking here) is to cruise with you and Pam again some day.  Would be a joy!

Rich

So sad to see your cruise end but am thrilled that it ended with laughs and having a wonderful dinner together.  Thanks to all of you that contributed to this thread.  Special thanks to our future Regent Tour Guide and his Assistant (or future comedian(s)) Z and Bonnie!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Is one of the persons in this picture....?????

Great job, a Golden Sombrero award coming your way to add to your collection.

Until next time,

Bob

Yup. But I won’t say which one since I rarely post pics of myself or coworkers online.   IOW, I posted it without realizing I was in it. Dufus me. 
Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Ahhh, Z says it far more eloquently than I ever can, but it was an incredibly great 10 days... And, sorry Z...but, your next assignment is Social Director of the Seven Seas!  So lucky to be a part of a group of happy and fun new friends!  Safe travels to all of you xoxo

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

It was SO much fun "cruising along with you " -- And I can't wait till your next one.  Many many thanks for the photos, the comments and the occasional astute observations (especially to do with a few "undesirables" on board !!)

Hammie:  thanks and real sorry about your cruise getting cancelled. What are your plans now?

Z and TB

7 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

We are flying to Toronto tomorrow, then to Zürich on Sunday evening.   I will be so happy to be home.

Gerry

I have been reading your posts for a while now . So glad to see that you were able to get flights home. Safe travels.

Pat

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Aside from crying??   It is terrible to see the ship sitting there and not be sailing tomorrow.

We are flying to Toronto tomorrow, then to Zürich on Sunday evening.   I will be so happy to be home.

Gerry

So sorry.  
Safe travels

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Aside from crying??   It is terrible to see the ship sitting there and not be sailing tomorrow.

Gerry

So sorry your trip has to cancel for reasons outside your control.

FWIW you were indirectly very helpful to us on TripAdvisor when we were planning our Fall 2018 trip to Lucerne and Zurich.

• Like 1

Although we are really sorry to hear about the recent excision to cancel NCLH cruises until 11 Apr, someone must have a sense of humor out there. My time off from work was extended by Uncle Sam. I went to work this morning arriving at 0500 and was told that I was being put into self quarantine because I had visited foreign ports during our cruise.  Ironically, the only foreign port we disembarked was Harvest Caye and for only a couple of hours. 
Now, I am stuck at home until 25 Mar. This was a precautionary move directed by the command staff. The Boss immediately declared Marshall Law and has told me that I am in charge of cooking and household chores. Not sure if I’m getting a good deal. 
Z and TB

• Like 1