What would you do?

What are you planning to do?   

229 members have voted

1. 1. You have an upcoming Caribbean cruise sometime in the next two weeks and now have the option to cancel. Do you? If you're under 45 and no health issues!

• Yes - for sure going to cancel!
    • Nope - let's sail!

I am considering canceling. Its not so much being worried about getting sick, I am worried about getting quarantined. I don't want to be stuck in my stateroom. One of my traveling companions has severe anxiety and both of them have a hard time without being active. Being confined to our stateroom would be a nightmare.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

I think that people who are cancelling may not be posting because they will get a lot of criticism. 

On these boards, if you are not fully committed to keeping your cruise, you are paranoid or 'buying into the hype'. 

I think lots of people are cancelling.

I sure hope so. I'd love the Harmony to be less crowded on 3/15 when we set sail. Also hoping that means that things like the beverage package see massive discounts so that RCL can recoup cash lost in fares. 

We are leaving tomorrow, still planning to go. I don't blame anyone who wants to do otherwise! There are certainly theoretical risks when you choose to cruise to begin with, and it's certainly reasonable for any person to say that This Specific Circumstance is the line at which they draw their risk tolerance.

It's our first cruise and our honeymoon...even if we *could* cancel (less than 48-hours, so no go from RC), it's a hard thing to reschedule. Emotionally, if not even schedule-wise.

3 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

March 21 on Independence, no plans of canceling....yet. 

Me again, meant to say only way I won’t go is if cruise is canceled.  Already told  my boss that I might not be back from vacation for at least another 14 days  😬.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only reason I would cancel is that my company just imposed a mandatory 14 day unpaid quarantine for post trip for anyone traveling ANYWHERE outside  of the US.  Seems a little crazy since the virus will be all over the USA in a matter of weeks.....

• Like 1

I have no plans right now to cancel our cruise for the end of April. But I do feel better knowing I now have the option if 1. things really start to go south or 2. if my company requires me to not return to work for 2 weeks following. They have already put this policy in place for people traveling to China, Japan, Italy, South Korea... However my guess is that would be pointless as it will probably be all over the US by then anyway. 🤷‍♀️

54 minutes ago, Cruising4theFirstTime said:

I have no plans right now to cancel our cruise for the end of April. But I do feel better knowing I now have the option if 1. things really start to go south or 2. if my company requires me to not return to work for 2 weeks following. They have already put this policy in place for people traveling to China, Japan, Italy, South Korea... However my guess is that would be pointless as it will probably be all over the US by then anyway. 🤷‍♀️

Agreed

It is great to have the option to cancel but my DW and I are still planning to board the Anthem March 29.  We will drive from Pittsburgh the day before and stay the night in Elizabeth NJ.  I went out and bought some cruising clothes today.  I can't wait!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmorg1234 said:

The only reason I would cancel is that my company just imposed a mandatory 14 day unpaid quarantine for post trip for anyone traveling ANYWHERE outside  of the US.  Seems a little crazy since the virus will be all over the USA in a matter of weeks.....

Wow! That is kind of a harsh employment rule. I think I would sort of raise a stink about that, if an employer tried to enforce something like that after a vacation. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Wow! That is kind of a harsh employment rule. I think I would sort of raise a stink about that, if an employer tried to enforce something like that after a vacation. 

It seems unreasonable but when questioned, most appear to be pushing back.  General response is that that non-union employees work ‘at will’, like it or lump it. sounds like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen unless the government or CDC puts out something with teeth in it to back Up that sort of edict IMO

The harmony sailing 3/28, + disney a week afterwards was the plan.

We are early 60’s. In great fighting shape. Well, other than i’ve developed chronic sinus infection/abscess tooth waiting to get yanked in 2 weeks, resulting in y third round of antibiotics today - oh yea. Going with I might be temporarily what they consider immune compromised at the moment if push comes to shove.  

have to fly to get anywhere vacation related. last flight was 3 weeks ago, many more people with masks than the norm on that run

family members meeting us in WDW are young & not overly concerned about the CV.

Let’s just say it’s nice to have the option to not have to jump thru hoops to use our TI if we decide to bail on the cruise. However, even with all of the above, still haven’t pulled the plug on the trip, yet.

• Thanks 1

We are booked for June 14 out of Rome.  When I say we...15 of us.  My married children were going on a trip of a lifetime with mom and dad.  I am so confused as to what to do.  The stress is killing me!  Flights aren’t booked yet so that’s not a problem.  But what to do?!

We are most likely canceling. Supposed to be going in a week on Harmony. We are not worried about the virus. The 5 of us are between 11-53 with no pre-existing health conditions. The issue is the possible entire ship quarantine for who knows how long if they discover 1 person on the entire ship has it. We’ve been watching the Princess cruise news to see how they’re handling that, and honestly the cruise lines still haven’t really figured out how to handle it. I flat out asked RC customer service what their procedure for this was, and all they could do was quote me their usual “we take each case individually, and have updated sanitation procedures” line. Hopefully they’ll start figuring this out soon and have real procedures.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shanley said:

I am considering canceling. Its not so much being worried about getting sick, I am worried about getting quarantined. I don't want to be stuck in my stateroom. One of my traveling companions has severe anxiety and both of them have a hard time without being active. Being confined to our stateroom would be a nightmare.

This.

I cancelled Navigator sailing out this month. I have a job and a life and don't have time on my hands to be "quarantined."

• Like 1

Sailing on the 11th of April on Ovation of the Seas. I am 61 and have no intention of cancelling. This is a very exciting experience for me. As I didn't have a 60th birthday celebration this is it and I can't wait!

8 hours ago, marci22 said:

I think that people who are cancelling may not be posting because they will get a lot of criticism. 

On these boards, if you are not fully committed to keeping your cruise, you are paranoid or 'buying into the hype'. 

I think lots of people are cancelling.

My wife and I are healthy 39 year olds with 2 healthy boys 8 and 6.  We cancelled our sailing on Adventure today for March 14th.  I'm not worried about our health.  I'm worried about being quarantined in a 160 sq ft room for an extended period and if and when you get off the boat you will not be allowed on an airplane.  We have lives beyond an 8 day cruise and i can't check out for a month.  My boys have hockey playoffs and tournaments they would be devastated if they had to miss because we were quarantined on the boat or self quarantined if we found a way to make it home.  

Most importantly I think most people are looking at this selfishly thinking they will be fine.  Odds are if you are under 50 and in good health you will be fine.  But that doesn't mean you can't carry the virus back to your community infecting people who are much more vulnerable than yourself.  If you are in your 30's or 40's you probably have parents who are in the vulnerable category.  How terrible would you feel if you brought this virus home and infected them?  

Edited by mt99808
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mt99808 said:

My wife and I are healthy 39 year olds with 2 healthy boys 8 and 6.  We cancelled our sailing on Adventure today for March 14th.  I'm not worried about our health.  I'm worried about being quarantined in a 160 sq ft room for an extended period and if and when you get off the boat you will not be allowed on an airplane.  We have lives beyond an 8 day cruise and i can't check out for a month.  My boys have hockey playoffs and tournaments they would be devastated if they had to miss because we were quarantined on the boat or self quarantined if we found a way to make it home.  

Most importantly I think most people are looking at this selfishly thinking they will be fine.  Odds are if you are under 50 and in good health you will be fine.  But that doesn't mean you can carry the virus back to your community infecting people who are much more vulnerable than yourself.  If you are in your 30's or 40's your probably have parents who are in the vulnerable category.  How terrible would you feel if you brought this virus home and infected them?  

The voice of reason.

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Tens of thousands of passengers sail every week on hundreds of cruise ships. 

We are ready to set sail in a few weeks and have no thought of changing those plans. 

https://www.biomerieuxconnection.com/2018/10/25/how-public-health-policies-saved-citizens-in-st-louis-during-the-1918-flu-pandemic/

• Like 1

I would cancel over the fear of being held on the ship in a quarantine as well.  It seemed an unlikely event at first, even with the first Princess ship being over in Asia, where the virus was spreading - but now with the 2nd ship coming back from Mexico and being held off the coast of San Diego - the possibility is hitting too close to home for my comfort level.

mt99808 also makes a very valid and often overlooked point about unknowingly contracting the virus during travel and spreading it to vulunerable people upon return, which is something to be seriously considered.

• Like 1

That 88% number is why none of this will end well.

You could put the same poll up with the question.

You live in an area where they are requesting you to self quarantine. Tonight the party of the year is happening. Do you go or stay in quarantine. That same 88% would go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 20165 said:

the fact that my company just put out a policy stating no critical travel until further notice puts me on edge a bit.  They have done this in the past with non essential travel, but have never used the word critical.

Similar to my company.  They have banned international travel and severely reduced domestic travel. If I choose to leave the country for vacation I may be asked to quarantine before returning to work.  Everyone saying "just go! Live your life!" Act like there are no ramifications for the decision other than will you or won't you get sick on board.  If I choose to do something my company prohibits they have the right to ask me not to come in.  And not pay me 

15 hours ago, dorifuta said:

We are leaving tomorrow, still planning to go. I don't blame anyone who wants to do otherwise! There are certainly theoretical risks when you choose to cruise to begin with, and it's certainly reasonable for any person to say that This Specific Circumstance is the line at which they draw their risk tolerance.

It's our first cruise and our honeymoon...even if we *could* cancel (less than 48-hours, so no go from RC), it's a hard thing to reschedule. Emotionally, if not even schedule-wise.

They'll let you cancel.  The purpose of the new policy is so people don't have to choose between their health and money spent.