how many pats of butter do you get in MDR with your bread

luckyinpa

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You are so RETRO!  So many have said 'everything was better on X in the "good old days"....😉;  Foiled butter was so much fun to unwrap, especially when it was warm in the MDR!

Now if we could just get Mr. Peabody to ask Sherman to set the Wayback Machine controls to my first Celebrity cruise on Century in 2000. Or if they are busy, perhaps The Doctor would let us use the TARDIS!!

image.png.c8a99cc464ef1ed6be034af3445c410a.png

image.png.3a7fb684e1147b3ac62e0be2967dd8a2.png

You would see that when my cruisin' buddy Glory & I sat down at our MDR table, we would grab a couple of the foiled butter pats from the container w/ice underneath (kinda like a shrimp cocktail holder).

image.png.d62f5a4e3eef3ac36fc80c3ba664e970.png

We would hold the foiled pats in our hands for a bit. This was to warm up the oooh sooo cooold foiled pats. That way, when the foil was opened, the butter would spread easily on the bread or one of those cute little skinny bread sticks.

Another Zombie Thread!! Threads never go away, and I’m Always so impressed of how someone finds these things, digs them up and revives them!!

Earlier, I got a notice that someone had added a thumbs up on my post here dated 20 March 2020 and I couldn’t believe it!! Love it.

And I Love butter, and No One has any idea if the ships will be short on butter…….just so they aren’t short of Irish Whiskey! And yes, I only use Irish butter, and I leave it out on the counter to say nice and soft…..none of that stuffy English thing. (Thought I’d add that to get a rise and see how many posts we can add to this!).

I saw an old movie one night about an American who had an English butler. The butler was serving tea and apologized that it took him so long to brew it, “I had to cut the little sack things you Americans put the tea in to get enough into the teapot.”  Ahhhh, us colonials. 

Do you know why we drive on the right side in the US? Carts pulled by oxen and horses all were driven on the left side in England, as it was throughout Europe and the Colonies. After the Revolution, the States moved all transportation to the right side in order to reject the Crown! The French followed suit later after a few more wars with the Empire! Don’t you just love this stuff!! No idea if its true, but sounds just great.

den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Now if we could just get Mr. Peabody to ask Sherman to set the Wayback Machine controls to my first Celebrity cruise on Century in 2000. Or if they are busy, perhaps The Doctor would let us use the TARDIS!!

image.png.c8a99cc464ef1ed6be034af3445c410a.png

image.png.3a7fb684e1147b3ac62e0be2967dd8a2.png

You would see that when my cruisin' buddy Glory & I sat down at our MDR table, we would grab a couple of the foiled butter pats from the container w/ice underneath (kinda like a shrimp cocktail holder).

image.png.d62f5a4e3eef3ac36fc80c3ba664e970.png

We would hold the foiled pats in our hands for a bit. This was to warm up the oooh sooo cooold foiled pats. That way, when the foil was opened, the butter would spread easily on the bread or one of those cute little skinny bread sticks.

I remember that!  and the butter WAS so hard....1st X cruise was Horizon 1996....wonderful little ship, dining quality and wonderful service..... and little PATS of butter rosebud shaped on ice (still hard but pretty).  Next was Mercury in 2000....nice little touches changed, one of which was foiled butter and something to do with sugar....I remember...paper packets!  Was that when ownership changed?

Edited by Oceangoer2

11 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

... Was that when ownership changed?

The Chandris family sold their interests in Celebrity Cruises in 1997. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, Texed said:

I like a lot of pads of butter on my waffles.  😁

I am a weird person. As soon as I sit down, I hold the pats to warm them in my hands so they melt better. Otherwise, the pat cools down the food before the food can melt the pat.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:46 PM, luckyinpa said:

does anyone have any idea how much butter we are getting post virus?  i know there are shortages everywhere. 

I think it is a stick (1/4#)...LOL

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Haha 2

does anyone have any idea how much butter we are getting post virus?  i know there are shortages everywhere. 

I heard that most of the butter was being used by passengers to get into their cruise clothes. There may be a shortage.

• Like 1

I think that you could wrap a few sticks of butter in a sweater or swim suit (well, maybe more than a few, maybe twice what you need so that you can share) and just put it in your suitcase. Maybe inside a plastic bag to be safe. Or maybe pack frozen sticks of butter and pack them with ice cubes in a plastic bag; that should work ok as long as the bag doesn't leak...

My own plan is to ask the server for more butter if I need more.

Stan 

Now that we are getting closer to cruising, it is time to get to your Dollar Tree and pick up your plastic straws, before they too become difficult to get. Those paper straws disintegrate before you can finish your Bloody Mary.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

Coarse or fine salt? 

Hopefully it’s sea salt.

Sea salt must be better, because they charge so much for it...

Not sure where that other salt comes from, but I’m sure that pink salt is much better for you!

15 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Now that we are getting closer to cruising, it is time to get to your Dollar Tree and pick up your plastic straws, before they too become difficult to get. Those paper straws disintegrate before you can finish your Bloody Mary.

I travel with stainless steel straw, copper for my wife. Cannot imagine buying or accepting a plastic straw. I have seen too much plastic debris washed up along the docks in ports around the world.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I travel with stainless steel straw, copper for my wife. Cannot imagine buying or accepting a plastic straw. I have seen too much plastic debris washed up along the docks in ports around the world.

I am sure I would leave behind my metal straw with my first drink as I went to lunch. Old habits die slowly. Perhaps X can give us metal straws with our names engraved on them instead of a bag!

25 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I am sure I would leave behind my metal straw with my first drink as I went to lunch. Old habits die slowly. Perhaps X can give us metal straws with our names engraved on them instead of a bag!

Metal straws can be very dangerous.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/world/europe/metal-straws-death.html  Additionally, they can contain bacteria if not thoroughly cleaned after each use.

We always bring our own plastic straws.  The paper ones fall apart in the pina colada.  

8 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Metal straws can be very dangerous.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/world/europe/metal-straws-death.html  Additionally, they can contain bacteria if not thoroughly cleaned after each use.

We always bring our own plastic straws.  The paper ones fall apart in the pina colada.  

I figure the high alcohol content in my Bloody Marias will take care of any bacteria.

1 hour ago, Auntiemomo said:

I was surprised on our last cruise on the Equinox that there were SEVERAL zip lock bags of plastic straws at the Passport bar. I handed out several of my own straws to people who didn't like the paper straws. Lets face it, that turtle was probably a couple of teenagers playing a prank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Seriously? The woman could have had a spoon in her mouth and done the same thing. Any item in your home can kill you if you think about it. One person getting hurt from a metal straw is the epitome of anecdotal examples. 

You may take your own plastic straws but do you use them again and again or do you throw them away after each use. If so, you are contributing to the seas being filled with plastic.

41 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Seriously? The woman could have had a spoon in her mouth and done the same thing. Any item in your home can kill you if you think about it. One person getting hurt from a metal straw is the epitome of anecdotal examples. 

You may take your own plastic straws but do you use them again and again or do you throw them away after each use. If so, you are contributing to the seas being filled with plastic.

Yeah, and one turtle out of tens of millions is really the epitome of anecdotal examples.

Why are you assuming that all plastic straws are thrown into a sea filled with plastic.  I'm sure 99.9% of plastic straws are thrown in with the rest of the garbage/rubbish/plastic bottles, etc., on the ship, and no, for 100 of them for a dollar, they are not being used again and again.