I thought there would be some really good Suite Deals

dgparent

I thought with all the Corona stuff and the cruise ships getting quarantined etc that there would be some really cheap deals on Suites for the next couple of weeks, I guess I was wrong. Prices for Suites are still pretty high.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dgparent said:

I thought with all the Corona stuff and the cruise ships getting quarantined etc that there would be some really cheap deals on Suites for the next couple of weeks, I guess I was wrong. Prices for Suites are still pretty high.

Doubt you will see them dropping the prices.   For close in cruises there may be some good opportunities to bid on an Upgrade.     Even on our 3/14, 3/21 and 3/28  there have been no suites available until today and currently seeing a number of suites but same price.

Edited by Jim_Iain

The information I have been reading is most cruise lines will not be significantly reducing prices due to the Coronavirus but holding relatively firm.     I don’t think we will be seeing any fire sale pricing soon.  

Mock bookings for some cruises I have been monitoring are as high as ever. 

Last year it seemed like cruises purchased in the the March through May timeframe had unusually high prices, with prices hitting a low toward the end of summer. 

I think the new policy will be a huge gift to those who live near cruise ports and can travel last-minute. Those are where the fire sale prices will be. 48 hours is short notice to try to fill unused space.

Yes, prices for my April 13 Apex sailing out of Southhampton have held steady or even increased a bit since I booked just after final payment date. 

I have noticed some cabins near mine that were previously booked are now available, so I know they are getting cancellations. But still, prices haven't moved.

I had a thought - now that they are offering 48-hour cancellation to everyone, they really can't be lowering prices too much, or people would cancel and rebook at the new lower fares. 

Anyway, I am really hoping our cruise goes ahead.

2 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

The information I have been reading is most cruise lines will not be significantly reducing prices due to the Coronavirus but holding relatively firm.     I don’t think we will be seeing any fire sale pricing soon.  

I was thinking about this tonight and agree with you.

Basis is:    Now that anyone can cancel within 48 hours of cruise,   If they were to drop the prices of a Suite or Cabin -  What would stop any of us from cancelling with no penalty and then re-booking at the new rate?    By maintaining rates and then obtaining additional revenue from the move-up they could fill all of these cabins and create a chain of upgrades.  

Airlines may be the same.   I've been checking my air reservations to Asia for November and prices are actually going up instead of down.

• Like 3

I have been monitoring our transatlantic and other cruises and it appears inventory has been "Frozen"......What is showing on my and my Travel agents websites is NOT the inventory we find when we called.........So I think, for certain cruises, Celebrity is not playing their hand showing what is and isn't available......They are under no legal obligation to show real inventory......Also in case of cancellations or unforseen circumstances....they are playing this close to the Vest.   I agree with Jim that they are not lowering suite prices (thus keeeping them high)  and the upgrade bidding is what they are going to accept.    We shall see soon enough.  Safe Sails to all! 

Edited by cruiseerf

2 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Jim,

what’s your thoughts on what X will do on cruising if this virus keeps getting worse. We have a cruise April 20. I would be ok with taking future cruise credit. 

I think we all need to keep an open mind and continue to monitor happenings as we go forward.  The most important thing for each of us to do is an access our own health and risk factors and make decisions accordingly. 

Currently I probably have more risk right here in Santa Clara County with 22 cases having been diagnosed and 1 death.   I have modified some of my activity -   I still walk 11 miles a day but when I drop into Starbucks I've been sitting outside away from others for my coffee break. 

I do have to admit that today I had to stop by Kaiser Medical Center to pick up a prescription.   I tried to stay away from others and got in and out quickly.

• Like 1

While it’s not a fare reduction, I’m seeing single supplements for 125% as opposed to the usual 200% on some sailings. And this includes suites. 

Edited by BEAV

2 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Saw the same thing. They will be trying to get people to bid on upgrades.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think we all need to keep an open mind and continue to monitor happenings as we go forward.  The most important thing for each of us to do is an access our own health and risk factors and make decisions accordingly. 

Currently I probably have more risk right here in Santa Clara County with 22 cases having been diagnosed and 1 death.   I have modified some of my activity -   I still walk 11 miles a day but when I drop into Starbucks I've been sitting outside away from others for my coffee break. 

I do have to admit that today I had to stop by Kaiser Medical Center to pick up a prescription.   I tried to stay away from others and got in and out quickly.

Wow 11 miles a day.  So much for you having low oxygen levels. I thought I was good doing a 5k marathon 

I agree with keeping an open mind. Still have over 6 weeks to go.

We really want this vacation more so than ever. We live in Putnam county Tenn.  Those tornadoes killed 18 of the 24 people less than 5 miles from our home. No family injured but sure helps to put things in prospective 

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was thinking about this tonight and agree with you.

Basis is:    Now that anyone can cancel within 48 hours of cruise,   If they were to drop the prices of a Suite or Cabin -  What would stop any of us from cancelling with no penalty and then re-booking at the new rate?    By maintaining rates and then obtaining additional revenue from the move-up they could fill all of these cabins and create a chain of upgrades.  

Airlines may be the same.   I've been checking my air reservations to Asia for November and prices are actually going up instead of down.

I agree with you. We have one booked in a few weeks and today prices are higher than they have been in the past month or two. I really don't think that many people are cancelling. There were the very vocal ones that were upset (up until yesterday) that Celebrity wasn't doing anything to help, but that has now been remedied.

The current situation is putting enough stress on resources as-is. Adding in a ton of cancelling and rebooking just because a better deal is available would cause more issues for everyone all around. 

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have modified some of my activity -   I still walk 11 miles a day but when I drop into Starbucks I've been sitting outside away from others for my coffee break. 

I'm impressed! I thought I was good at 5-6 daily. Need to step it up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Wow 11 miles a day.  So much for you having low oxygen levels. I thought I was good doing a 5k marathon 

I agree with keeping an open mind. Still have over 6 weeks to go.

We really want this vacation more so than ever. We live in Putnam county Tenn.  Those tornadoes killed 18 of the 24 people less than 5 miles from our home. No family injured but sure helps to put things in prospective 

Retirement is wonderful and there is no way I could walk 3 hours a day while I was working.  I have to admit it took me a couple weeks to build up to my current routine but absolutely love it.

So happy to hear you and your family are safe after those terrible tornadoes.    My ears always perk up when I hear news of Tennessee.   My family going back to  just after revolutionary war are from Eastern Tennessee (Blount / Sevier County) and I graduated from UT Knoxville.  

We're booked on the Reflection for April 13, 2020 sailing in a Sky Suite and thinking of cancelling and re booking for next April.  We paid $4250 for this year's cruise with 4 perks and $300 OBC.  Next year the price is $15,000 for Sky Suite with the same 4 perks and OBC.  What's up with that?

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Retirement is wonderful and there is no way I could walk 3 hours a day while I was working.  I have to admit it took me a couple weeks to build up to my current routine but absolutely love it.

So happy to hear you and your family are safe after those terrible tornadoes.    My ears always perk up when I hear news of Tennessee.   My family going back to  just after revolutionary war are from Eastern Tennessee (Blount / Sevier County) and I graduated from UT Knoxville.  

👍. Go Vols.  We live 1 mile from TTU. 

18 hours ago, dgparent said:

Patience. 

Maybe you’ll see some price movement next week once =X= assess inventory levels following their new cancellation policy announced just yesterday. 

43 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

We're booked on the Reflection for April 13, 2020 sailing in a Sky Suite and thinking of cancelling and re booking for next April.  We paid $4250 for this year's cruise with 4 perks and $300 OBC.  Next year the price is $15,000 for Sky Suite with the same 4 perks and OBC.  What's up with that?

I'm also seeing big jumps - although, not that big! - when I look at booking the same Med cruise on Apex for next year. 

My guess is that all those FFC dollars floating around are going to seriously drive up prices - ugh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRBlizz said:

I'm also seeing big jumps - although, not that big! - when I look at booking the same Med cruise on Apex for next year. 

My guess is that all those FFC dollars floating around are going to seriously drive up prices - ugh. 

You that was my fear also. According to a show I watch on stocks, they say airlines will not lower their prices. Thought was those who are afraid to fly will not fly at any price. On the other hand those that gotta get there will fly no matter what. 

Cruising may be a little different but I will continue to cruise as long it’s safe.  Just can’t let go of the bug. Suite just keep selling out and X knows it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

I have been monitoring our transatlantic and other cruises and it appears inventory has been "Frozen"......What is showing on my and my Travel agents websites is NOT the inventory we find when we called.........So I think, for certain cruises, Celebrity is not playing their hand showing what is and isn't available......They are under no legal obligation to show real inventory......Also in case of cancellations or unforseen circumstances....they are playing this close to the Vest.   I agree with Jim that they are not lowering suite prices (thus keeeping them high)  and the upgrade bidding is what they are going to accept.    We shall see soon enough.  Safe Sails to all! 

I have seen the exact same thing on my 2022 TP, especially with suites.  The very first time I tried to book, no S1's except on deck six were available.  Anyway, I booked an S2 on deck 11.  Then, my price dropped twice, so I took advantage of the drops.  The next week they went up $2,000.  This is something that they most likely have been doing, but maybe until now, I was unaware of this happening.  However, I always check prices for drops.

The MoveUp price on Apex in May starts at $1300 PP to go from C3 to S3, while the price difference to upgrade directly is only $1700 PP.  I'm disappointed with the high starting price and am not planning to bid, but will continue monitoring for price drops.  On the other hand, bids on the Edge Villas start at $3000 PP vs about $14000 PP to upgrade directly, so there could be some deals to be had there if not completely over budget.

I booked a category X balcony guarantee yesterday and just logged into my booking and see they’ve assigned me to AQ class. 

I’m shocked to have received an upgrade assignment like that when we now have the MoveUp program. 

Cruise is on Reflection April 24. I’ll never know if it has anything to do a lightly booked ship (due to Corona), but I see it as a fare reduction (in a round about convoluted form). 

Cat X is selling for $999 while XA is $1799. 

Edited by BEAV

I am a travel agent and I can tell you that some agents have access to “secret” rates right now that are not allowed to be posted online. Not available on suites but I have seen rates of about $500 pp for concierge class for most of april. So contact an agent (this is US only, not sure about other countries) and you may be able to get a great deal.