Attention all Canadians.....Ottawa is advising against ALL cruising!

kazu

At this stage I cannot imagine why anyone would have waited for words from Ottawa or any of the Provinces to act.  Seems very silly and very risky to even consider a cruise in the near term  With or without ‘good’ insurance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

At this stage I cannot imagine why anyone would have waited for words from Ottawa or any of the Provinces to act.  Seems very silly and very risky to even consider a cruise in the near term  With or without ‘good’ insurance.

I agree.  

6 hours ago, dot73 said:

Over the weekend, I decided to go on my Apr 3 cruise from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera on the Maasdam.  Now I'm not so sure.😒 I will have to check with my employer to see if I can come back to work right after the cruise or stay home for 2  weeks.  Personally, I believe the cruise industry is taking a bad rap and the media has totally gone mad over this virus.  In the last month, there were probably a hundred cruises where there were no incidents of Corona.  I am probably much more likely to get the virus on my crowded bus and commuter train, which are always standing-room only.  I will wait until the 72-hour cancellation deadline to cancel the cruise.  I don't mind the FCC; it will be like having money in the bank for a future cruise.

Yes on the bad rap.

Yes on the gone totally mad.

and Yes probably more likely to get it on a commute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We always buy a yearly medical travel plan and I don’t think we would be covered if traveling and got Coronavirus even though we purchased it last October.  I haven’t confirmed with Blue across yet as our cruise isn’t until the Fall.  Rest of our travels are in Canada.  

After being on hold for 2 hours and then speaking to someone I can share what I was told.

With that advisory up there on the website if you go you are  not covered.

If there is any kind of a travel advisory then you are done like a dinner.

the ironic thing is this lame brain told me I wasn’t covered to even recoup my air fare as there is no level 4 for any of the countries we are going to (YET). I responded with “let me get this straight - if we go we’re not covered and if we don’t go you don’t pay:”. Cute.

I told them to send me the claim forms and they don’t want to see how high I will go on this.

If I can get a new shelter for SPCA, you don’t want to see what a determined kazu will do. This is so wrong.  We knew we were going.  I am heartsick.  Tons of plans and hours emailing and contacting guides, hotels, etc to undo all of this.

Make sure you get it in writing you are covered if you want to go.  I suspect with the warning you are not.  Sorry 😞 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iancal said:

While  I agree with you somewhat, I suspect people were holding out hope.  And some people did have bucket list cruises booked and were holding out hope it would improve.

I started this thread to alert Canadians as this does affect their insurance.  If you travel with a travel warning most insurance that you buy is null and void.  

You know, a lot of us are pretty upset right now that have been planning for a long time - a bit of empathy would go a long way.  But that’s pretty silly and risky of me to expect.

• Like 9

Oh Kazu, that’s awful.  I’m so sorry.  We book these vacations long in advance thinking we have done our due diligence and then this Coronavirus rears its ugly head.

I hope you get some back after submitting claim forms. They certainly don’t make it easy.  We buy insurance and then when we need it...well, it doesn’t cover us.  

• Like 2

We have trips on hold.  We tend to look at the positive side and not dwell on things beyond our control.  Be thankful not to be stuck on a ship or in quarantine somewhere.  Be thankful that your financial loss has been mitigated with a credit.  This could have been much worse for those folks.

• Like 1

I have yearly insurance with Blue Cross and before final payment I checked their cancellation policy plan as I needed cancel for any reason insurance.  They do not have that type of policy, but I knew HAL did.  I am using HALs policy to get at least 90% in cash back.  Yes, HAL's Platinum policy is expensive, but for once I am getting almost my monies worth.  It was a sad day when I sent the e to our TA to cancel, hopefully we weather the virus storm and can look forward to resuming cruising in the near future.  Right now it's dry land for us.  

• Like 1

We are currently booked on the same cruise as @kazu.  In all likelihood, we too will have to cancel.  I'm going to hold out for another couple weeks to see what's going to happen. We know we can get the FCC before the end of the month.  If things are improving...we have 90% CFAR so we can choose to wait another couple weeks.  

One thing for sure....there will be some stellar cruise deals available once all this lifts

4 hours ago, ninefishes said:

Does this mean if we need to visit doctor/hospital due to coronavirus while traveling, we won't be allowed to claim from medical care?

My insurance says if it’s a level 3 or 4, they won’t pay. This is a level 4 (don’t travel) advisory. I suggest you read your policy carefully. 

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

After being on hold for 2 hours and then speaking to someone I can share what I was told.

With that advisory up there on the website if you go you are  not covered.

If there is any kind of a travel advisory then you are done like a dinner.

the ironic thing is this lame brain told me I wasn’t covered to even recoup my air fare as there is no level 4 for any of the countries we are going to (YET). I responded with “let me get this straight - if we go we’re not covered and if we don’t go you don’t pay:”. Cute.

I told them to send me the claim forms and they don’t want to see how high I will go on this.

If I can get a new shelter for SPCA, you don’t want to see what a determined kazu will do. This is so wrong.  We knew we were going.  I am heartsick.  Tons of plans and hours emailing and contacting guides, hotels, etc to undo all of this.

Make sure you get it in writing you are covered if you want to go.  I suspect with the warning you are not.  Sorry 😞 

I’m sorry, but I’m baffled by this post. Do you have medical travel insurance or trip cancellation insurance. They are two separate policies as I understand it. 

my understanding is that a government advisory is a valid reason to activate cancellation insurance. But that same advisory will render null the health travel policy. 

Leaving on the Zaandam 4/21 Ft Lauderdale to Montreal......

If Canada does not want us to visit because a new strain of the flu is out there, I guess that's it for us trying to visit our northern neighbors.....I hope the hysteria will calm down by the time the Zaandam is heading north.

Good luck up there.....Oh Canada....come on down to Florida, the weather is fine...

• Like 1

I feel very badly that so many are suffering in so many ways,  it is a very frightening situation.  

Kazu I am glad you are pursuing the correct information from your insurance.  I can cite several times we have been given wrong information.  And we all need to be clear to understand what is actually covered.  One instance I pursued what I was told by asking for it in writing why something was not covered. After that request which I think went to legal,  it was not put in writing and we were told we were actually covered.  Another time we were told the flight cancellation due to the airport fire was not covered but we requested a claim form and it was covered.   

So to not cover your cancellation or the trip seems a real conundrum. 

We too have a bucket cruise this fall, so we shall see.  Hopefully,  things settle soon, but who knows.   Right now I wouldn’t chance it and would try and mitigate any loss.  

• Like 1

Just now, larrywizzit said:

I’m sorry, but I’m baffled by this post. Do you have medical travel insurance or trip cancellation insurance. They are two separate policies as I understand it. 

my understanding is that a government advisory is a valid reason to activate cancellation insurance. But that same advisory will render null the health travel policy. 

Trip cancellation.

I have medical automatically for 31 days with no conditions.

You are right - a trip advisory is enough to activate the insurance as long as it at the level.

The problem is there is no level attached to the warning the government has done. (Similar to when they told us to rethink cruises and didn’t do anything - sheesh).

So while it’s at the top of the page unless it’s a level x warning this twit told me it didn’t count.  I’ll still do the claim.  by the time it gets there and I do all the crap required, it will be worse, I fear.  I hope I am wrong.

Here’s what I see on the website:

2586545C-953F-43CA-BC31-490A1496AD1F.thumb.png.465b25f26200b61b95d40c1034551c2b.png

A ´do not travel’ notice is by definition a level 4.

ill find the link and post it here in an edit. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories/risk-levels-and-travel-advisories

These are the four risk levels. A do not travel notice qualifies as a level 3 or 4. 

As you can see from their own example, the government doesn’t number them per se. The definitions however are self explanatory. 

Edited by larrywizzit

This is such a difficult decision and I am so sorry for all those who are hurting.  There is not only a financial and emotional impact, but there is also the worry of the economical repercussions to the travel industry and the resultant domino affect.  I pray this is over soon and life will return to normal.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s helpful to tell others to be thankful.  People are adult enough to know what to be thankful for and it comes off as preachy and holier-than-thou.  Sorry.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Good luck up there.....Oh Canada....come on down to Florida, the weather is fine...

You may want to reconsider inviting people down to Florida ...

"Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Monday evening to declare a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus in Florida."

3 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

You may want to reconsider inviting people down to Florida ...

"Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Monday evening to declare a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus in Florida."

That’s really just a formality in order to expedite funding.

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I fully understand that but there would be no need for additional funding if there was not a sense of emergency to protect the citizens.

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yep, couple of cases of the new strain of flu in Florida but that does not stop us....Disney World is open and busy.....Just got off another Florida thrill ride, the Florida Turnpike and the license plates passing me are from all over.....including Canada....and it's busy out there....

Come on down.....we've got room and fun stuff and all the purell you want.....

Edited by FlaMariner
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Trip cancellation.

I have medical automatically for 31 days with no conditions.

You are right - a trip advisory is enough to activate the insurance as long as it at the level.

The problem is there is no level attached to the warning the government has done. (Similar to when they told us to rethink cruises and didn’t do anything - sheesh).

So while it’s at the top of the page unless it’s a level x warning this twit told me it didn’t count.  I’ll still do the claim.  by the time it gets there and I do all the crap required, it will be worse, I fear.  I hope I am wrong.

Here’s what I see on the website:

2586545C-953F-43CA-BC31-490A1496AD1F.thumb.png.465b25f26200b61b95d40c1034551c2b.png

Hi Kazu. The bigger problem here isn't the lack of a level, it's the lack of an actual advisory. There is no advisory on the Travel.gc.ca website, but instead simply a link to the PHAC website where there is a recommendation to avoid cruise travel. My travel insurance has coverage exclusions for travel to countries, regions, and other geographic areas for which a travel advisory has been issued by the GOC, but there are no provisions for exclusions based on recommendations on mode of transport.

It would give me little comfort if we were stuck on a ship because of port issues or confined at sea or on land for 14 days for quarantine.

With or without insurance our goal is to avoid this.  Plus going on a cruise and finding out that the majority of port stops that interested us were changed or cancelled is not our idea of a good cruise.

At the end of it we would not be thinking...not such a great cruise but at least we had medical coverage!  So glad we went.  No thanks to that.  

We would be happy that we dodged  the potential bullet instead of feeling sorry for ourselves.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1