Motion Sickness Relief Bands

katz

Has anyone tried these?  If you did, I would like to know how it worked and if you think it is worth the price.  I currently use the patch along with the cloth wristbands, and add Bonine or Dramamine when needed.

Thanks!!

My wife uses them and swears by them.  I don't get seasick but I can't see how the bands can do anything so I assume that it is a placebo effect.  However, placebos have been shown to be very effective medicines and they certainly can not hurt you.

DON

• Like 1

Hi Katz

Just want to highlight what you are saying. You have tried a number drugs as well as whatever wristband you have. Those drugs work for most people. Others swear by any number of homeopathic solutions that can be found on the internet. 

What I am wondering is why would you think that the results of any random contributor on this site should give you any reassurance on the worth or not of any product like this. Wouldn't you expect that results could easily be different for everybody. My suggestion, if you haven't already done so, it to consult with a doctor or a pharmacist. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katz said:

Has anyone tried these?  If you did, I would like to know how it worked and if you think it is worth the price.  I currently use the patch along with the cloth wristbands, and add Bonine or Dramamine when needed.

Thanks!!

My wife uses them but they do not work for me.

I have something called ReliefBand which looks like a watch, has a battery in it, and sends a signal to the same place on your wrist as those SeaBands. I am not troubled by motion sickness often but the couple of times I sailed through/near a hurricane I was thrilled to have my ReliefBand. Costs ~ $100 on Amazon. Highly recommended.

kathy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, katz said:

Thanks!!

I have not used the relief bands, but did see they were covered by our medical flexible spending account.  I rarely suffer motion sickness and the SeaBand accu-pressure bands are enough for me.

As TargetsMom mentioned, Relief Band is different than SeaBands.  Sea Bands are accu-pressure and are considered by many to have at best a placebo effect (although placebo effect can still be a positive effect 😉 ) and are fairly inexpensive.  Relief Bands send an electrical impulse and are much more expensive, but also a drug free option for those who cannot tolerate/don't want to use medications and I remember reading they have a better success rate than Sea Bands.

One major benefit to ReliefBand is that they will alleviate symptoms that you are already feeling. With medications you generally have to take them PRIOR to the onset of symptoms or they don't work.  (I know lots of people use the behind-the-ear patches throughout their cruise to prevent symptoms but those things cause severe dry mouth and blurred vision!)  

k.

I always have them on, but the bands only don't do much. I press them harder when I feel the worst, but I do take other measures like, eating green apples, drinking Ginger Ale, eating crackers and starchy food mostly... Aromatherapy helped too, they sometimes sell the little oil bottles in the shops. Few drops behind the ears and on the temples can make a big difference. If nothing works I opt for Dramamine.

I have used Reliefband (the one that looks like watch with pulses) since 2004 or 2005.   Since then I have bought about 10 of them to give to family members.  My mom's side of the family are very prone to motion sickness.   We get it riding buses, boats, pretty much anything that moves when we are not in control (driving).   Reliefband works.. for us.   I have loan mine out to many of my friends for cruises and they all said it works except one.   My wife and my niece also used it for morning sickness and it worked for them.

Before I got the reliefband, I have used one of those acupressure point wristband and that did not do anything for me.  I use my Reliefband for Harry Potter ride at Universal too... without it... it would have been really bad.....

• Like 1