What does the future of cruising look like?

Paulchili

6 minutes ago, yorkiemomjn said:

California, Nevada are really thankful for all the extra help the President and staff team are providing...

Huh? We live in Reno NV and have no clue what you're talking about. But we have a great governor who has been making so many super decisions.

31 minutes ago, clo said:

Huh? We live in Reno NV and have no clue what you're talking about. But we have a great governor who has been making so many super decisions.

I was quoting Hawaiian Dan and you quoted only part of my quote.    Go back and read his post and it will make more sense.  

5 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Interesting that I never received anything from Viking about this, being that I'm scheduled for a cruise starting in Rome in January. 

Just looked at the requirements associated with submitting the application - looks like a royal pain. I'm turned off - might just consider sticking to travel in the US from now on. 

A ten-minute online application, only a couple minutes more than I needed today to complete the 2020 census! 😁

OK...back to the Schengen Visa. It looks like all US citizens will need to do is complete the ETIAS Form - which would appear to entail less requirements than the full Schengen Visa process. And yet ETIAS info says this whole thing may not be implemented till 2022, so I remain confused. Will seek out advice from Viking on it. 

2 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

A ten-minute online application, only a couple minutes more than I needed today to complete the 2020 census! 😁

Yeah...that's what I'm finding out. You're referring to the ETIAS, right?  Is there an actual link to the application. I looked but couldn't locate it. Having to meet the requirements to complete the Schengen visa app would appear to be considerably more involved. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

5 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah...that's what I'm finding out. You're referring to the ETIAS, right?  Is there an actual link to the application. I looked but couldn't locate it. 

I did not look, simply read the EU graphic materials in the link that Lyn (LHT 28) posted in #160 above. 

Edited by CintiPam

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Well now which is it?  This page says not. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who-needs-schengen-visa/

ETIAS and Schengen Visa are two completely different things.  ETIAS is designed for the people who do not need a Visa to enter Europe.  Below is a quote of the explanation from this web site:

"ETIAS stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System. It is a completely electronic system which allows and keeps track of visitors from countries who do not need a visa to enter the Schengen Zone. In a way, it resembles the U.S Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), which serves a similar purpose. The legal procedures to pass the ETIAS have started in 2016, and the system is expected to be in place by 2022." 

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Well now which is it?  This page says not. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who-needs-schengen-visa/

Some Countries  can enter  VISA  FREE for tourism

That is the purpose of the ETIAS

the ETIAS targets citizens of countries who can enter the EU zone visa-free. As such, the following 62 countries will need to get the ETIAS authorization:

The USA/Canada/Turkey/Australia  are some that also have a similar  set up

Use the Checker on this page  to see if you  need an ETIAS

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/check/

We are back  to reading & comprehension

If you do not understand  get someone competent to explain it to you 🙄

9 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah...that's what I'm finding out. You're referring to the ETIAS, right?  Is there an actual link to the application. I looked but couldn't locate it.

When will ETIAS be implemented?

It is believed that the ETIAS will be operational in 2022 but, it won’t be mandatory till 2023.https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Zesty Italian,

There is a FDA-approved device which allows up to 4 patients to be hooked up to a single ventilator.  Just Google "Prisma Health, VESper".  Apparently, it can be reproduced by a 3-D printer.   A ventilator is the last step before death in the treatment of the coronavirus.  All I have been advocating is to treat this disease early before having to go to that last step.  We apparently have the means, but not the will.

57 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

All I have been advocating is to treat this disease early before having to go to that last step.  We apparently have the means, but not the will.

Easy-peasy - you found the solution. Thank you. Nobel prize in medicine has your name on it.

I can't believe that tens of thousand of patient need hospitalization at all - never mind respirators. You should speak to Dr. Fauci.

What is that cure again? 😀 I want some of it.

Instead of even bothering to test sick people (we don't have enough test kits anyway) just hand them a bottle of the miracle cure. What could be easier? 😀

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Easy-peasy - you found the solution. Thank you. Nobel prize in medicine has your name on it.

I can't believe that tens of thousand of patient need hospitalization at all - never mind respirators. You should speak to Dr. Fauci.

What is that cure again? 😀 I want some of it.

Instead of even bothering to test sick people (we don't have enough test kits anyway) just hand them a bottle of the miracle cure. What could be easier? 😀

Paul,

There is no cure, no vaccine, but there is a treatment to stop the replication of the virus.  Your immune system can kill the coronavirus, the problem is the virus is replicating faster than your immune system can kill it.  Sort of like, you have a leaking rowboat with water gushing through a small hole - you have a bucket that you can use to get the water out, but it is coming in faster than you can throw it out.  In a short time, your rowboat will sink.  If you plug the hole, you have a chance of saving your rowboat, but you still have to repair your rowboat because that plug is not permanent.  In this case, that plug is Hydroxychloroquine which was approved last Sunday by the FDA to use for treatment of coronavirus.  By now, I expect the whole world is using this drug for treatment of the coronavirus.  It was used by many hospitals in the USA as an off-label use until Sunday.   If you get to the ventilator stage, this drug is much less effective as you are really facing a totally different problem - you can't breathe.

Anecdotal evidence shows the drug to be a preventative as none of those 80 lupus patients in a Wuhan hospital ever caught coronavirus (unless lupus was preventing them from getting the coronavirus).  One warning, hydroxychloroquine will be poisonous if taken in greater quantities.  It is quinine-based, so it is poisonous in greater quantities.  That couple in Arizona who took fish tank cleaner and the husband died may have taken a dose 10 times what would have been the maximum allowed.  Those Nigerians who took too much hydroxychloroquine died from overdose. So do not take these drugs except under the guidance of a doctor.  It is unlikely you can get the drugs as it is in very high demand.  Supply may not catch up with demand for the immediate future.  

As for the Nobel prize for medicine, it should be going to Dr. Raoult of France for his studies on Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin and Dr. Vladimir Zelenko of Monroe, NY for the protocol for early treatment of coronavirus. This prize should also be given to some doctors in China and South Korea as well.

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Zesty Italian,

There is a FDA-approved device which allows up to 4 patients to be hooked up to a single ventilator.  Just Google "Prisma Health, VESper".  Apparently, it can be reproduced by a 3-D printer.   A ventilator is the last step before death in the treatment of the coronavirus.  All I have been advocating is to treat this disease early before having to go to that last step.  We apparently have the means, but not the will.

You asked me about deaths in younger people on ventilators several posts ago.  I had been commenting on your quote which I highlighted that "in patients under 60 this is no worse than the flu".  Several doctors have been on the news commenting on their young patients who have died.  I was not specifically talking about ventilators.  As for your comment quoted in this post, I think you should listen to doctors.  Are you a doctor because I am?  It is a nightmare to have more than one patient on a vent.  They have different needs for settings which is difficult enough in one patient.  Also, have heard doctors pleading for more vents while you keep stating we have more than enough.  I find it scary that you keep giving medical advice if you are not a doctor.  We currently do not have the means to treat this disease.

4 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

You asked me about deaths in younger people on ventilators several posts ago.  I had been commenting on your quote which I highlighted that "in patients under 60 this is no worse than the flu".  Several doctors have been on the news commenting on their young patients who have died.  I was not specifically talking about ventilators.  As for your comment quoted in this post, I think you should listen to doctors.  Are you a doctor because I am?  It is a nightmare to have more than one patient on a vent.  They have different needs for settings which is difficult enough in one patient.  Also, have heard doctors pleading for more vents while you keep stating we have more than enough.  I find it scary that you keep giving medical advice if you are not a doctor.  We currently do not have the means to treat this disease.

Yes, I agree. I'd also love to know his/her background and expertise. 

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Lovely.  Thanks for posting.  It is interesting to read about the trials, and at this point, that's all they are.  I sincerely hope it helps patients, but too soon to say "treatment".  From the sounds of this article, it's even more challenging.  I do find it interesting from the fact that azithromycin is an antibiotic which don't treat viruses.  The other is used for malaria and other things.

Let's face it - there is currently NO treatment for COVID-19

There are several drug trials going on - chloroquine & AZT being one of them - but no definite conclusions have been drawn.

Otherwise this would become as clear and simple as treating strep throat with antibiotics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We are back  to reading & comprehension

If you do not understand  get someone competent to explain it to you 🙄

Well, presumably I can take that as an insult...but thanks anyway. I just checked with my Viking representative, and he also never heard of this. But, guess he's an idiot too then, right? Initially, when I mentioned it, he responded by saying that, being in the US, there is no need to do anything since US is one of the visa-free countries to visit Europe. So there is likely to be some confusion between needing to fill out the Schengen application and simply applying for ETIAS - which is a much simpler process. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

No, I am not a doctor.  Never said I was.  I am a retiree just like most of you.   I do have a few degrees in mathematics, so I'm more prone to think logically.  If you recall, this tread was about the future of cruising.  My speculation (everything about the future is speculation) is entry 127.  All of my other replies are how I got to my "speculation".  At least, I have a basis for my speculation.  I believe the last paragraph of entry 127 was my only wild speculation which I noted.  

All of the information that I have given you is in the Internet.  None of it is made up.  For example, the protocol for early treatment by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko is to treat the disease early with Hydroxychloroquinine, Azithromycin, and Zinc for people over 60 and people who have underlying conditions.  He is treating his patients on an outpatient basis.  Very few of his patients end up in the hospital and no one ended up on a ventilator.  My speculation was more of a logical deduction that if all doctors could treat coronavirus patients on an outpatient basis and very few will end up in the hospital, especially on ventilators,  therefore, fewer deaths.  It does require more testing which I mentioned.  If hospitals are not overwhelmed, if fewer people go on the ventilators,  that implies a lower death rate, hopefully approaching flu-like numbers which people seem to accept.  My speculation of going back to work by after Easter  was if we could establish this protocol, we can go back to work.  The disease will still be in the tens of thousands, but if the death rate could be lowered to flu-like, it will probably be acceptable to most people.  If anyone catches this disease, he/she can be treated at a doctor's office, clinic, or ER.  Basically, we would be reducing coronavirus to a flu-like disease.  What you should be worried about is if the economy is locked down for a long time, you might be walking out the door to 1931 when it is over.  The cure is now worst than the disease.

The future of cruising looks bleak until we can find a vaccine.  Updated, every passenger must take Hydroxychloroquine every day of the cruise protocol may allow cruising to go on in limited basis before a vaccine can be found.

2 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

No, I am not a doctor.

Updated, every passenger must take Hydroxychloroquine every day of the cruise protocol may allow cruising to go on in limited basis before a vaccine can be found.

so why are  you proclaiming people take this

What scares me about the future of cruising?  Answer: what’s happening with the Zaandam.  It scares me that you can take a vacation and once something goes wrong like now, you are literally trapped and can’t get off. 

You don’t even know if you will go where you are paying to go and you don’t know if you’ll be allowed to get off.  Cruising is a closed environment.  This is the worst place to be when something goes wrong.  You have no control over any of it!  The norovirus is a common cold compared to now or what can happen. 

I truly believe the cruise industry is going to have a lot of problems here forward.

51 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

Lovely.  Thanks for posting.  It is interesting to read about the trials, and at this point, that's all they are.  I sincerely hope it helps patients, but too soon to say "treatment".  From the sounds of this article, it's even more challenging.  I do find it interesting from the fact that azithromycin is an antibiotic which don't treat viruses.  The other is used for malaria and other things.

Azithromycin is used because when the virus is stopped, you are in a weaken state and still subject to bacterial infections - it is more of a safety protocol.

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so why are  you proclaiming people take this

I was tempted to continue this discussion with deadzone but I then I remembered Kenny Rogers:

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run 

..and I am folding and running 😀

• Like 3