Will Princess TA's Be Going To Europe This Spring?

PrincessLuver

We are booked on a TA this Spring and I am wondering if Princess will send their ships over after what is happening in Europe.

Italy just announced it is putting the whole country on lock down (60 million people) now and Israel said anyone entering the

country will have to put themselves in a voluntary 14 day quarantine or be denied entry.  I suppose more restrictions could  

follow from other European countries too.

Will Princess really risk sending ships over if there is the possibility of more ports closed to cruise ships in Europe?

Edited by PrincessLuver

49 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

They need to make up their mind quickly. Crown leaves for Europe on March 26.

I agree and all the logistic support it takes to make sure food and supplies are ready at each port for those ships when they arrive.  We were told by a Princess logistic officer on a Regal TA that all supplies are ordered for three months out and then  sent from the US to coordinate with the each ships cruise schedule in European ports.  Just mind boggling!!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

President Trump is giving a news conference right now, which includes plans for the cruise ship industry. He said:

”We are working with the cruise ship industry, which obviously will be hit. We are working with them very, very strongly. We want them to travel. We want people to travel to certain locations and not to other locations at this moment. And hopefully that will straighten out sooner rather than later.”

I guess we will find out what that means as time goes on. 

Edited by Mackenzie1

Where else would they go if they don't go to Europe? 

There's a problem in Italy but that's only one country.  Other countries are no worse hit than anywhere else and most are better prepared than the US.

11 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

President Trump is giving a news conference right now, which includes plans for the cruise ship industry. He said:

”We are working with the cruise ship industry, which obviously will be hit. We are working with them very, very strongly. We want them to travel. We want people to travel to certain locations and not to other locations at this moment. And hopefully that will straighten out sooner rather than later.”

Well, he needs to coordinate with the State Dept. and the CDC which are saying that U.S. citizens should not travel by cruise ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, llandaff said:

Where else would they go if they don't go to Europe? 

There's a problem in Italy but that's only one country.  Other countries are no worse hit than anywhere else and most are better prepared than the US.

Spain and France are badly affected as well, it is not just Italy.  Spain cases doubled overnight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Spain and France are badly affected as well, it is not just Italy.  Spain cases doubled overnight.

Correct. Which country wants to deal with an extra 3000+ people when their own health services are going to be stretched enough, and that’s just one ship! And that’s not counting the current ports which are refusing ships, such as Malta. No one wants the added hassles - they have plenty enough of their own to deal with in the current climate. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

It means absolutely nothing.  LOL  No one can predict how bad this will get.  We will probably see many more changes in the next 10 days.

Judy in Sw Florida

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Nothing but word salad

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

I cancelled my trip due to France (and having a hotel stay after there). I haven't followed Spain. That was on my itinerary also.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paul929207 said:

They need to make up their mind quickly. Crown leaves for Europe on March 26.

I have a friend working the crown right now just finished talking to her. The crew on board that ship has no clue what's going to happen with their TA. They're just playing everything by ear just like the rest of us. I personally think it's best for them just to leave the ships here in the Caribbean for right now. Give all your crew members a month or two off I've paid leave if they're still on contract. Hopefully then things will calm down. Should be interesting in the next week or two. I still think princess is doing a fantastic job with everything that's been thrown at them. And they've handle it with nothing but Grace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Have to agree that cruising the Caribbean, Alaska, Canada are the "safest" place to keep ships operating.  Take a few and do dry docks on them.  Sending them to Europe puts them essentially in mothballs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villauk said:

Correct. Which country wants to deal with an extra 3000+ people when their own health services are going to be stretched enough, and that’s just one ship! And that’s not counting the current ports which are refusing ships, such as Malta. No one wants the added hassles - they have plenty enough of their own to deal with in the current climate. 

I agree..... during the summer season there can be multiple large cruise ships in  most ports in Europe.....I wonder if river cruises will be impacted too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Well, he needs to coordinate with the State Dept. and the CDC which are saying that U.S. citizens should not travel by cruise ship.

I think what the WH is expressing is they want cruise lines to be able to operate and passengers to be able to cruise.  It sounds to me like authorities are working with the cruise lines on practices and procedures to make things as safe as possible.  Perhaps they can increase the confidence in time.  Yes, we know the current advisory, but you cannot fault government efforts to keep business operating in a safe manner.  They must want airlines and hotels, etc to also continue to be able to operate and welcome passengers and guests.  It will be a terrible shame if whole country is shutdown like Italy.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

The big problem in trying to keep all the ships in this area, which I agree is probably best, is port availability.  Alaska has become very overcrowded.  The Caribbean the same.  Port schedule are made years in advance.  The other cruise lines have taken over the Caribbean in the summer.  

11 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I have a friend working the crown right now just finished talking to her. The crew on board that ship has no clue what's going to happen with their TA. They're just playing everything by ear just like the rest of us. I personally think it's best for them just to leave the ships here in the Caribbean for right now. Give all your crew members a month or two off I've paid leave if they're still on contract. Hopefully then things will calm down. Should be interesting in the next week or two. I still think princess is doing a fantastic job with everything that's been thrown at them. And they've handle it with nothing but Grace.

Thanks for the update. I’m on the Crown Princess T/A sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome on March 26. We’re supposed to receive updated itineraries this week, but at this rate,  I would be just as happy if we stayed in the Caribbean and had a cruise to nowhere, or cruised to Barcelona or the Azores, and turned around and came back. That’s just me, though. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It will be a terrible shame if whole country is shutdown like Italy.

Maybe, but part of me thinks that shutting the whole country down now, for two weeks, might save a lot of lives and might be better in the long run.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Albinroo said:

So if the TA is cancelled, that should mean refund instead of FCC, right? But if they just change the itinerary to Caribbean, then they don't have to give refunds?

This is what I am worried about.....I think they could technically do this but I am sure they would have s ship load of very upset passengers.  We are hoping they cancel or if they do change itinerary significantly that passengers are still allowed full refund because they are really doing a bait and switch.....and playing games!!!

• Like 1

We’ll have to wait to see what happens. The cruise directors list shows that Paul Chandler-Burns is the cruise director for the Crowne. He’s a lot of fun and plans great activities.  That helps. 

Edited by Mackenzie1

1 hour ago, Mackenzie1 said:

We’ll have to wait to see what happens. The cruise directors list shows that Paul Chandler-Burns is the cruise director for the Crowne. He’s a lot of fun and plans great activities.  That helps. 

You don't think they'll cut back on activites and shows with a ship 1/2 full? I think they will!