IF i wore a mask onboard.....

seaman11

Are you doing it because you are sick?  I ask because there are multiple studies showing masks only protect others from you, and not the other way around. 

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html

Unless you have the new fancy special mask (which I doubt)...

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Nope, not even a little.  Read the links I just added.

I see ,however in asian countries they do wear it to prevent getting the cold virus.  I just don';t want others to tink i am infected and through me in quarantine or something.  probably i wont do it , just a thought.  

I would just cancel if you are that worried that you may get sick. In reality you would have to wear the mask pretty much at all times and also a mask does little to protect you anyway. More likely to give you a false sense of safety than to offer much protection. Sitting at dinner, shows, and around the pool while wearing a mask and gloves is ludicrous to me. Personally I would not cruise until this virus situation gets under control. I would be somewhat afraid if becoming sick but more afraid of being trapped onboard a ship that is quarantined. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

I see ,however in asian countries they do wear it to prevent getting the cold virus.  I just don';t want others to tink i am infected and through me in quarantine or something.  probably i wont do it , just a thought.  

I am not trying to say they are wrong, but everything you read from the experts is that surgical style masks (the ones you find in every store) do nothing to protect you, they are meant to try to stop your germs from infecting others.  So basically, if you wear one, someone like me would assume you are sick.  You are welcome to try, but there is a wealth of articles from experts all over the place saying it doesn't really minimize your exposure.  

• Like 1

Although I don’t plan to wear one, I certainly would not judge anyone for doing so. I applaud anyone taking this seriously. It is those people that are helping make sure everyone else is safe. The people I will judge are the ones refusing to wash their hands, and people boarding the ship obviously showing symptoms of being sick.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

That is actually not true, in China (pre virus) they wear masks to protect other people when they are ill, it is not to stop you getting a cold or flu, its protecting others from your illness.

Wile you can't really protect yourself with a mask, the fact that everyone wears a mask also works because anyone infected would be less likely to pass it on to the uninfected.

In Hong Kong right now you would get very funny looks if you did not have a mask on.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

I always assume when traveling that anyone wearing a mask is sick. So if you showed up to the terminal with gloves and

a mask you probably (just guessing) would be questioned more than other people. I don't know that for sure though.

• Like 2

I've been to Asian countries and have seen the masks. I truly believe that they are not wearing them to prevent themselves from getting sick. In some Asian countries there is some benefit to the N95 masks for pollution issues. In others it is considered very courteous to wear one if you a sick to prevent spreading disease. I think at this point wearing them has turned into a fashion statement frankly. But no, if you are not sick, it's well documented that surgical masks will not prevent you from getting sick and if anything will make it more likely that you'll touch your face more than normal, adjusting the mask, taking it on and off to eat, etc. They are designed for surgeons to wear to keep their germs from getting to into the patient's surgical sites; not to protect the surgeon against disease. And yes, I think that others would think you were infected. Which might be good from a social distancing standpoint I supposed. But really, in the face of medical professionals and sick people needing those masks, wearing them just to wear them takes away from the supply for people who actually need them.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, wales4ever said:

If you wore a mask onboard... I would laugh at you.

Would you intend to wear the same mask for the whole cruise?

Would you know the correct mask to use?

Would you know the correct way to put it on/take it off?

You'd really make fun of someone for wearing the mask. Just because they are wearing one, it doesn't mean it's because of this virus.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Would that be frowned upon?  just thinking i may want to wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask on board . Would others think i am infected ?

Whenever, I see a person with a mask, I keep my distance because it indicates sickness.

Now when you wear gloves all that is on my mind is that your gloves are unsanitary. Just as a point, anytime in the past that TSA needed to look in my carry-on, I have asked them to put on a fresh pair of gloves. They have always complied.

1 hour ago, ladybugpug said:

I would just cancel if you are that worried that you may get sick. In reality you would have to wear the mask pretty much at all times and also a mask does little to protect you anyway. More likely to give you a false sense of safety than to offer much protection. Sitting at dinner, shows, and around the pool while wearing a mask and gloves is ludicrous to me. Personally I would not cruise until this virus situation gets under control. I would be somewhat afraid if becoming sick but more afraid of being trapped onboard a ship that is quarantined. 

Im not worried about being quarantined ,as iv been stuck on many ships being an old navy man.  Also i was stuck on the liberty of the seas during hurricane harvey and it wasnt that bad at all , extra vacation. 

1 hour ago, wales4ever said:

If you wore a mask onboard... I would laugh at you.

Would you intend to wear the same mask for the whole cruise?

Would you know the correct mask to use?

Would you know the correct way to put it on/take it off?

well I would wear it when on boarding ,maybe to the pool and buffet areas.   where common ppl gather and so forth. 

Would that be frowned upon?  just thinking i may want to wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask on board . Would others think i am infected ?

You would look ridiculous indeed. Might as well not go on your cruise instead!

Wear a mask!  Who cares what anyone thinks.  If people laugh at you......(speechless really, would people really do that? are we in high school)....but you might end up having the last laugh when they get sick and you don't.  

I am a dental professional and have worn a mask with every patient for over 30 years.  I wasn't wearing it to protect them from me that is for sure. It was worn to protect me from them.  All the OSHA guidelines are in place to protect the worker and all the guidelines require wearing a mask.  

Edited by Level six
  • Like 5

What are you going to do when you need/want to eat ??  Take your food to go, wrap & seal it, rush back to your stateroom ... do your washy washy in private, then enjoy the "warm'ish" meal.  You really need to go thru a proper decon chamber, getting hosed down & showering - those microscopic germs could be getting a ride on your clothes and since your cabin isn't negative air pressured ... 

It's going to be a problem for those with UBP but I've seen folks "breaching" the barrier shield with a straw (BYO).  

I assume you know the proper way to put on & has fit-tested the mask for size; and, what about face shield ... and will you be prepared to red bagging your hazmat waste - to not put your room steward & others in harm's way, if the unlikely events that the disposed PPE carried live viruses.  

IMG_20200309_1950[1].jpg

Edited by mking8288

They will think you are infected, because many are reading or hearing from medical professionals that the masks will not protet you from the virus, germs go right through it, but it does help keep one's germs to themselves.  So if you are sick, by all means please wear one.

32 minutes ago, Level six said:

Wear a mask!  Who cares what anyone thinks.  If people laugh at you......(speechless really, would people really do that? are we in high school)....but you might end up having the last laugh when they get sick and you don't.  

I am a dental professional and have worn a mask with every patient for over 30 years.  I wasn't wearing it to protect them from me that is for sure. It was worn to protect me from them.  All the OSHA guidelines are in place to protect the worker and all the guidelines require wearing a mask.  

This. The people who refuse to wash their hands and board the ship sick don’t care what anyone thinks - and I’ve encountered those people on every cruise I’ve ever taken. You do you. If it gives you peace of mind so you can relax it’s nobody else’s business to judge you. I’m glad there are others taking this seriously. If everyone did these outbreaks wouldn’t be happening.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Are you doing it because you are sick?  I ask because there are multiple studies showing masks only protect others from you, and not the other way around. 

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html

Unless you have the new fancy special mask (which I doubt)...

Since the masks only protect others from you, if your sick. Wouldn't it make more sense that everyone wore one. Then no one would would be passing around there germs🤷‍♀️

• Like 2