If Royal cancel my cruise would I get my money back?

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Refund if royal cancels

I have heard this before, so I was holding off canceling our March 21st sailing for another four or five days, hoping to get a refund instead of the FCC.  I emailed our travel agent to ask if that could happen.  She answered that RCCL will only be offering FCCs -- no refunds -- and she went ahead and canceled our two cabins.  I'm going to be seriously annoyed if she was wrong about no refunds.  Even though we will probably rebook within the allotted time, it would be better to have the money gathering interest in our bank account instead of Royal Caribbean's.

1 hour ago, Grandma Petania said:

I have heard this before, so I was holding off canceling our March 21st sailing for another four or five days, hoping to get a refund instead of the FCC.  I emailed our travel agent to ask if that could happen.  She answered that RCCL will only be offering FCCs -- no refunds -- and she went ahead and canceled our two cabins.  I'm going to be seriously annoyed if she was wrong about no refunds.  Even though we will probably rebook within the allotted time, it would be better to have the money gathering interest in our bank account instead of Royal Caribbean's.

She is wrong. By law if Royal cancels they have to give your money back (as long as they have money...), if you cancel they can offer FCC.

• Like 1

My guess is that, based on the terms of its cruise contract, Royal would issue a 100% future cruise credit if they suspended operations and cruises were cancelled. (But, people might ask for a partial refund consistent with the standard cancellation policy) Here are my thoughts -- a pure guess on my part -- which I posted in another thread. (Forgive me for my repetitiveness if you have read it already.):

In deciding whether to suspend operations for any length of time, Royal will definitely take into account whether it will have to issue refunds to the passengers of the cancelled sailings.  The last thing Royal wants to do at this point is issue refunds.  After all, Royal quickly changed its new "cruise with confidence" cancellation policy to eliminate the issuance of any applicable refunds (i.e., deposit, 75%, 50%, 25%) associated with its standard cancellation policy in favor of giving a 100% future cruise credit only.  And, Royal just took out an additional $550 million line of credit to bolster its liquidity.

Paragraph 6 of Royal's cruise contract governing “CANCELLATION, DEVIATION or SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER” provides: “Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.” (Emphasis added).

If Royal suspends operation for 30 to 60 days and can claim, justifiably, that it did so based on a "recommendation" by the U.S. federal government, then Royal won't be in breach of the cruise contract.  So, no refunds.   That being said, from Royal's viewpoint, the easier way out would probably be for the federal government to "order" Royal to cease operations temporarily.

• Like 1

In Europe they would be breaking the law if they refuse a refund on a cancelled cruise, don't know if it is different in the US. 

They gave full refunds for the cancelled Quantum cruises to everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

How about if Royal goes bankrupt do I get my money back??

That's my fear.

We are not cancelling and waiting for RCI to cancel our Grandeur cruise which as of now is sailing without ports so I assume we also can have 12 days cruise to nowhere (although as of now Baltimore port is closed).. but what if RCCL goes bankrupt?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tatka said:

That's my fear.

We are not cancelling and waiting for RCI to cancel our Grandeur cruise which as of now is sailing without ports so I assume we also can have 12 days cruise to nowhere (although as of now Baltimore port is closed).. but what if RCCL goes bankrupt?

Me too, We have a cruise AND Choiceair flights booked and paid for already. Bankruptcy is a real possibility here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Me too, We have a cruise AND Choiceair flights booked and paid for already. Bankruptcy is a real possibility here. 

If you booked through an Ontario travel agent you would be covered in the event of an airline or cruise line insolvency. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you booked through an Ontario travel agent you would be covered in the event of an airline or cruise line insolvency. 

Our cruise was booked through Royal and transferred to a travel agent and flights we booked directly through ChoiceAir.

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Our cruise was booked through Royal and transferred to a travel agent and flights we booked directly through ChoiceAir.

You should be fine as it is held by a TA, as long as it’s a TA registered in Ontario. Flights would not be covered but would still e valid with the airline 

https://www.tico.ca/files/Compensationfund.pdf

Edited by Ourusualbeach

50 minutes ago, Tatka said:

That's my fear.

Some think bankruptcy means the company goes away. Even if Royal did go bankrupt (highly unlikely) they would still operate

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

I have never heard of a cruise getting cancelled and everyone be refunded.

If they cancel our cruise I expect ALL my money back. We cruise in April we looked to reschedule  but they have raised the prices on future cruises. To get same itinerary & same cabin category (which is few because they are already booked) we’d have to wait till next February to cruise and pay an additional $4000.  

We do not want to spend anymore money then we have already invested. I know this is not Royals fault but it isn’t mine either. I signed this contract in good faith paid $500 extra for their insurance if they cancel my cruise I want my money back or the same cruise/cabin for what I’ve paid! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Viking, is offering the choice of a future cruise voucher, valued at 125 per cent of all money paid, or a refund equal to the amount paid.

Celestyal Cruises, guests will be offered the choice of either a future cruise credit valued at 120 per cent of original booking value or a refund of original amount paid.

Disney, guests affected by this decision will receive a future cruise credit or a full refund

Windstar, guests can choose a future cruise credit valued at 125 per cent of all monies paid to Windstar or a refund equal to the amount paid on the Windstar booking.

Saga, offering customers a full refund or credit for future sailings.

Edited by icsys
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

The people currently on Jewel docked with nowhere to go in Dubai have also had all money back as refundable OBC and their cruise has not even really been cancelled, just no ports to sail to.

9 minutes ago, kidless said:

If they cancel our cruise I expect ALL my money back. We cruise in April we looked to reschedule  but they have raised the prices on future cruises. To get same itinerary & same cabin category (which is few because they are already booked) we’d have to wait till next February to cruise and pay an additional $4000.  

We do not want to spend anymore money then we have already invested. I know this is not Royals fault but it isn’t mine either. I signed this contract in good faith paid $500 extra for their insurance if they cancel my cruise I want my money back or the same cruise/cabin for what I’ve paid! 

That's not unreasonable. My parents are in the exact same situation and wanting the same outcome. Everyone with FCCs can expect to pay a premium on their next cruise.....not cool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

That's not unreasonable. My parents are in the exact same situation and wanting the same outcome. Everyone with FCCs can expect to pay a premium on their next cruise.....not cool. 

We just cancelled four cruises on Tuesday, and will use the FCCs on other cruises we already have booked for later this year and next year. Would have preferred a refund, but at least we have a place to apply them on those cruises before they raised the prices.

Edited by orville99

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We just cancelled four cruises on Tuesday, and will use the FCCs on other cruises we already have booked for later this year and next year. Would have preferred a refund, but at least we have a place to apply them on those cruises before they raised the prices.

That's excellent! Have prices for those cruises gone up or down since this all started?

11 hours ago, luisc25 said:

I have a cruise out of Barcelona on May 10 on allure, if Royal cancel the cruise, would I get the money back? Or I will get FCC?

Saw the following on a cruise msg board and just added a link:

Port of Barcelona closing down after passengers on Royal Carrib Allure of Seas TA disembark.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/spanish-ports-turning-away-cruise-ships-14-days?fbclid=IwAR3bwgOqarj82TyWu2lcc5j0AqDFpsQtlA2jTv9BETIRwcxLjL8Jm-dMgwY

Edited by destiny217
Update