Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

What I think will happen is that cruising will restart slowly but surely. Initially regular cruisers, like most of us, will be the ones to take those first cruises and it will probably take a while, maybe a year, while the rest of the potential cruise passengers wait to see what happens. Then it will ramp up quickly. 

The hard part to predict is when those first cruises will start.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What I think will happen is that cruising will restart slowly but surely. Initially regular cruisers, like most of us, will be the ones to take those first cruises and it will probably take a while, maybe a year, while the rest of the potential cruise passengers wait to see what happens. Then it will ramp up quickly. 

The hard part to predict is when those first cruises will start.

Ferrys will be the first .. Hertrigruten  in Norway ,,, Smyrel Lines in Iceland  the Greek Island Ferrys  thats a start

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Ferrys will be the first .. Hertrigruten  in Norway ,,, Smyrel Lines in Iceland  the Greek Island Ferrys  thats a start

Quite possibly but they aren't going to affect what happens in the cruise market.

I meant to say earluer that I don't think any oif the major cruise lines will sell off any of their ships. They may mothball some of them for a while but I imagine, based on current bookings for 2021, that they will predict a steady increase in cruising again once it starts.

It will be interesting to see which ships Princess brings down here first. My guess is they'll start with Sea, Sun, and one of the Grand Class ships - maybe Sapphire. I suspect they won't bring Majestic or any other of the Royal Class ships here until cruising is back to normal.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It will be interesting to see which ships Princess brings down here first. My guess is they'll start with Sea, Sun, and one of the Grand Class ships - maybe Sapphire. I suspect they won't bring Majestic or any other of the Royal Class ships here until cruising is back to normal.

I doubt cruising will get back to normal for some time.  In addition to concerns about the virus on ships, many people won't have the extra money to go cruising, in the short term.  Many have lost their jobs or their income from the share market.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes , it will be very interesting. 
My inkling is that they will tempt the Australian market with an offer they cannot refuse.

Perhaps a brand new ( or near new) ship that will really wow cruisers and there will be a bull rush on release and it will be booked out in a day.😉🤭🛳🛳🛳

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

My inkling is that they will tempt the Australian market with an offer they cannot refuse.

Perhaps a brand new ( or near new) ship that will really wow cruisers and there will be a bull rush on release and it will be booked out in a day.😉🤭🛳🛳🛳

Optomist!

On 3/18/2020 at 7:01 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wed 18 March Aucklan$ and Tauranga
Seven Seas Navigator came in from off the coast and is now docked at Tauranga as is Noordam .

Azamara Quest is off the Coromandel coast an$ is heading to Auckland for tomorrow Bremem is docked in Auckland. 

Four small ships docked or close of NZ ports.  Do you think they are hoping for permission to cruise.  Once the borders of NZ and Aust are open, I'd cruise again on a small ship, in this region, depending on itinerary and how long the crew had been on board. 

Edited by MMDown Under

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Their new ships are too big for a restart in our market, they'll use those in the Caribbean.

I reckon they'll use Sea Princess first. She is very popular here and actually has better interior public spaces than the newer, larger ships.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I wonder how many are for the scrap heap, I suspect most would be returning to service with another line if they were surplus to requirements.

This assumes that there will be other cruise lines around to buy them.  If Princess & Royal Caribbean go under, then there won't be many cruise lines surviving, let alone ones big enough to operate 3-5000 passenger vessels.

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Given the disgust felt by the general public towards cruising in general, following the Diamond & Ruby Princess debacles, what makes you think that a shiny new ship will tempt them?  Most of the general public have no interest in cruising at all right now, regardless of how new & shiny the ships may be.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Not that short.  I'll never cruise in an inside cabin again. 

6 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

So they've gained an upsell out of it.

There is one school of thought that the lines will not sell inside cabins again in case they have to quarantine passengers again . They would use them for the crew to improve social distancing.

• Like 1

I feel arranging crew will really set back restart time. The countries most of them come from will probably be the last to flatten their curves and with all movement restrictions in their countries it would be pretty difficult to leave to board a ship. Not mention all the effort NZ went to, to get rid of COVID19 they most likely won't want to risk it by letting in people from high risk COVID19 countries. Now there might also be an issue with food security. They are saying with all the disruption to farming world wide due to lock downs there will be a decrease in food supply and I doubt supplying a cruise ship will be considered priority. COVID19 is going to leave a lot of issues that will need sorting out before anyone will prioritise the cruise industry. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I feel arranging crew will really set back restart time. The countries most of them come from will probably be the last to flatten their curves and with all movement restrictions in their countries it would be pretty difficult to leave to board a ship. Not mention all the effort NZ went to, to get rid of COVID19 they most likely won't want to risk it by letting in people from high risk COVID19 countries. Now there might also be an issue with food security. They are saying with all the disruption to farming world wide due to lock downs there will be a decrease in food supply and I doubt supplying a cruise ship will be considered priority. COVID19 is going to leave a lot of issues that will need sorting out before anyone will prioritise the cruise industry. 

they do not need the worker's countries to flatten the curves, as they only need the workers to join the ship and serve a quarantine period.

8 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

A good move and some of the measures I thought should have been in place well before Covid-19 as Princess is notorious for Noro and strep throat like viruses.

• Like 1