Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I can't understand the thinking with regard to holiday homes.  Surely the aim is for people to stay in one place.  Whether they stay in their principal dwelling, which is often close to their work, or their holiday home, which is often a place to relax, shouldn't matter, as long as they follow the rules once in place.  

Also ...By heading to their holiday home they are abusing  locals who live there permanently by putting extra strain  on supplies on the local stores .Stay home .Shop home .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

But people don't follow the rules, see my post below. Surely if the majority of people have to stay at home, why are holiday home owners treated differently and get to travel away for a holiday? It doesn't make sense!

Exactly Lyndarra, that is the concern of local tourist authorities where there are many holiday homes and don't yet have cases of the virus. I think the so called Aspen group bringing the virus to the Mornington Peninsula was a good example of how the virus could be spread. If these people had not visited their holiday home and were not out in the local community, there would probably have been very few cases in the area. 

Leigh

Hello Leigh

I have not left home except for a quick trip to casualty for over 5 weeks .. WOW I have a telehealth meeting with the doc tomorrow and the chemist will get the scripts and the wife will be the designated shopping person with Elsie the MIL 95y/o keeping tabs on me

Regards

JOhn

• Like 1

As far as I know, all these ships are either at sea or near by their local ports. Its funny how those cruisers are not allowed to dock anywhere, not even at their mother ports. I also wonder how much it costs to support the operation of these ships while they are at sea. I mean, will these money be compensated by the government in any possible way? They spend so much money to operate those empty ships..

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

As far as I know, all these ships are either at sea or near by their local ports. Its funny how those cruisers are not allowed to dock anywhere, not even at their mother ports. I also wonder how much it costs to support the operation of these ships while they are at sea. I mean, will these money be compensated by the government in any possible way? They spend so much money to operate those empty ships..

No compensation for operating the ships. The companies bear the cost. I don't think any cruise ships returned to their port of registry.

BTW, most of Princess' fleet is registered in Bermuda, but the Diamond, Golden, Majestic and Sapphire are registered in London. Currently several of these ships are heading for Asian ports and others are hovering off the coast of USA.

P&O Aust ships are registered in London. They are also heading for Asian ports.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No compensation for operating the ships. The companies bear the cost. I don't think any cruise ships returned to their port of registry.

BTW, most of Princess' fleet is registered in Bermuda, but the Diamond, Golden, Majestic and Sapphire are registered in London. Currently several of these ships are heading for Asian ports and others are hovering off the coast of USA.

P&O Aust ships are registered in London. They are also heading for Asian ports.

They are of loading their crews at ports as close to their homes as possible

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Also ...By heading to their holiday home they are abusing  locals who live there permanently by putting extra strain  on supplies on the local stores .Stay home .Shop home .

Maybe - well definitely - resources are not allocated equally. I read a letter from someone a couple of days ago saying the toilet paper supply is no longer an issue with abundant stocks at their store. And then spoke to someone today who'd been to stores in another area in Sydney and they and all the people in that area regard it as also over with multiple stores continually stocked. 

Yet our local Woolies, day after day in Sydney never has stock. Why is that? 

I'm not going to go conspiracy theory, but when resources are not supplied equally the result is it's necessary for people to go foraging for themselves.

Edited by The_Big_M

VdG is due to depart Tilbury in Oct. for Aust. via Pacific Ocean.

A lot can happen by then.  CMV have got to stay viable & maybe off load some of the vessels on charter.

Astoria is due to go - most likely to the breakers.

18 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Ah!  I have had a holiday home/beach shack all my life, as the south and north coast beaches are so close to Brisbane.  We have always taken everything with us, as the last thing you want to do at the beach is shop.  The only thing we buy locally is prawns from trawlers, which rely on visitors.  

12 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Maybe - well definitely - resources are not allocated equally. I read a letter from someone a couple of days ago saying the toilet paper supply is no longer an issue with abundant stocks at their store. And then spoke to someone today who'd been to stores in another area in Sydney and they and all the people in that area regard it as also over with multiple stores continually stocked. 

Yet our local Woolies, day after day in Sydney never has stock. Why is that? 

I'm not going to go conspiracy theory, but when resources are not supplied equally the result is it's necessary for people to go foraging for themselves.

Toilet paper was available locally when all the fuss was on about empty shelves.  I didn't buy any because I didn't need any.  I was surprised when I went to the first 7 am Seniors shopping at Woolies to see many empty shelves and realised then it was a supply problem.  Not a hoarding problem as advertised, in my area anyway.  

Have you asked your local Woolies nicely why your store never has stock? They might tell you, then you can send off an email to Woolies management.  

VdG was in & out of Cape Town quickly so I hope they got the bunkers they needed.  Now off Namibia with eta Tilbury 30/4.

MSC Magnifica with passengers onboard has anchored at Suez for bunkers / Canal.  Eta Fos [Marseilles] France 20/4.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:36 AM, MMDown Under said:

Toilet paper was available locally when all the fuss was on about empty shelves.  I didn't buy any because I didn't need any.  I was surprised when I went to the first 7 am Seniors shopping at Woolies to see many empty shelves and realised then it was a supply problem.  Not a hoarding problem as advertised, in my area anyway.  

Have you asked your local Woolies nicely why your store never has stock? They might tell you, then you can send off an email to Woolies management.  

There was some panic buying. But some others who were after a quid. Bit some on the bum.

“I had my first customer yesterday who said he wanted to get a refund on 150 packets of 32-pack toilet paper and 150 units of one-litre sanitiser.” In 150 packs of 32-roll toilet paper there would be 4800 individual rolls.

Mr Drake said the man had come into the store to get his money back after website eBay refused to allow him to sell the items online.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/supermarket-bosss-blunt-reply-to-toilet-paper-hoarder-wanting-refund/news-story/985cc7022ce371a71b7d86c3031e2ce5

On 4/14/2020 at 10:58 AM, MMDown Under said:

Ah!  I have had a holiday home/beach shack all my life, as the south and north coast beaches are so close to Brisbane.  We have always taken everything with us, as the last thing you want to do at the beach is shop.  The only thing we buy locally is prawns from trawlers, which rely on visitors.  

We are the same. Our beach shack doesn't even have a local shop and we bring everything. We didn't go there Easter in respect to the concerns but we have to go this weekend as there are repairs we must do before winter rains set in. 

As far as social distancing goes, we live on the esplanade at the beach and we were completely inundated by Adelaidians coming to the beach, for the four days as weather was good. So much for social distancing. Would have been better off going to the shack and not seen a soul. 

I always shop at Drakes/Foodland in SA. They supply all the stock that Coles and Woolies no longer do and who have replaced it with their generic stuff. But they are a little more expensive. We have worked with Roger Drake, this guys father. He is as ethical as is possible to be but is also very pragmatic. 

Edited by Pushka

On 4/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, SeaDog-46 said:

VdG is due to depart Tilbury in Oct. for Aust. via Pacific Ocean.

A lot can happen by then.  CMV have got to stay viable & maybe off load some of the vessels on charter.

Astoria is due to go - most likely to the breakers.

Astoria .. a lot of history in that ship as Stockholm she was involved with collision with Andrea Adoria ... can still remember those sad TV Pictures of her sinking

regards

John 

This morning :-

MSC Magnifica is through the Suez Canal with eta Fos 20/4 . Passengers that have not been ashore since NZ?

QM2 has arrived at Southampton to join Azura, Queen Victoria, Btitannia & Ventura alongside in layup?

Voyager ots has arrived Bali.

Radiance ots is approaching Singapore.

• Like 1

Yes John -

Astoria is over 70 years old but I think something was found at her last docking that may mean curtains for this old girl.

Many wanted to take a cruise on Astoria before end of year, but unlikely now.

4 of our ships have come back in to AIS range, here are where they are:

Radiance of the Seas:

Anchored off Singapore:

radianceoftheseas16042020.jpg

Voyager of the Seas:

Docked in Denpasar, Bali

voyageroftheseas16042020.jpg

Sun Princess:

On her way in to / waiting to go in to Manila:

sunprincess16042020.jpg

Sea Princess:

On her way to Manila: