Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

ABC radio this morning said the 2 Carnival ships will do a ship to ship transfer of crew off Gladstone today & be out of Australian waters by 23:59 tonight.

Pacific Dawn is expected to depart Brisbane today after bunkering & storing.

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

If they were OUR ships registered in Australia - most people could not afford to cruise.

Our pollies of both sides have reduced the Australian Merchant fleet from small to just a handful of vessels.

We have NO petroleum tankers at all & rely on the floating pipeline from Singapore.  Any disruption will result in instant rationing of fuel.

True. The lines are only able to operate at the price they do because of the way they are structured. 

I see the Pacific Aria has now left Melbourne and is on her way to Jakarta where she will no doubt offload her Indonesian crew members and maybe others from nearby countries.  This no doubt will already have been quietly organised with the relevant countries who have also closed their borders.

In some ways I can't see that ships flying flags of convenience are much different to very large corporations worldwide who register in the Cayman Islands to avoid paying taxes in countries where they mainly operate.  Shipping companies still have the bulk of their physical operations located in USA/UK/Aus etc.  All large companies do what is best for their bottom line.

P&O Australia Fleet Sailing to the Philippines and Indonesia

http://crew-center.com/po-australia-fleet-sailing-philippines-and-indonesia

"After the order by the NSW Police all cruise ships to leave Australian waters and return to their home ports, P&O Australia has decided its cruise ships will set sail to the Philippines and Indonesia to bring their crew members back home. The company primary focus right now is the common safety of all the crew and to get as many of the crew home as soon as possible.

P&O Australia received an order and can’t touch Australian ports any more as the Australian government has now required that all Non-Australian registered cruise ships to leave Australian waters promptly.

The cruise ship Pacific Explorer has already left Australian waters and is off to the Philippines. The ship will slow down the speed and wait for their sister ships Sun Princess and Sea Princess to arrive at the rendezvous point and set sail together. Soon to join Explorer are Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn which will also sail to Asia.

P&O Australia is working with the governments of Indonesia and the Philippines to seek approval for the return of their citizens. The company is also working on charter flights for the non-essential crew from other nations."

• Like 1

An great deal of planning will have been going into this repatriation for weeks now.  News reports have tried to make us believe that the ships were just wanting to hang around because they had nowhere else to go.  The more they can sensationalize the story for ratings the better.  Very one sided reporting.  They only publish/show what suits their ratings.

I would think with the bulk of crew from Indonesia and the Philippines then it would make more sense for the ships to take them home from Australia because we are near to their homes and then they can continue to where ever they will lay over.  I am sure the crew want to go home to their families and not drift off our coast.

Viking Orion now departing Melbourne after bunkering.  No destination given but she is registered in Norway.  Long trip.

Captain Jonathan on Amsterdam wrote today that they are still in Durban trying to organise repat of 7 SA crewmembers.  Getting regularly tested for COVID19 by authorities.  Poor guy.

• Like 1

Here's one that isn't your every day cruise ship. It left Fremantle on Apr 6th, see the pic below. Wonder if there is CORONA-19 on there - nothing heard in WA. It's been here for about three weeks.

The World originally arrived at Fremantle Port on March 13 but has been hanging around Gage Roads and other berths ever since.

The ship left on April 6 but is not going to be able to head to Exmouth as scheduled, with the Australian Border Force calling on vessels to leave the nation’s waters.

Premier Mark McGowan said he was unsure why the ship was still hanging around.

Quote from Mark McGowan:

“The World left Fremantle four or five days ago, she’s in Geraldton doing laps, we don’t really know why she’s doing that but that’s what she’s doing … in open waters, so it’s outside our control,” the Premier said.

The planet’s largest private residential ship, which requires apartment owners to have US$10 million in assets, is taking some interstellar inspiration as it kills time off the WA coast.

image.png.3f16d096b1eeaadaee7a822a9a2e6154.png

The World cruise ship is off the Mid-West coast of WA taking a star-shaped route. Credit: Marine Traffic/Marine Traffic

Edited by dizzy1948

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

Viking Orion now departing Melbourne after bunkering.  No destination given but she is registered in Norway.  Long trip.

Captain Jonathan on Amsterdam wrote today that they are still in Durban trying to organise repat of 7 SA crewmembers.  Getting regularly tested for COVID19 by authorities.  Poor guy.

I was going for an officially approved exercise walk this afternoon. Turned the corner and down the end of the street saw Viking Orion sailing by.

I wonder where it is going.

9 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I was going for an officially approved exercise walk this afternoon. Turned the corner and down the end of the street saw Viking Orion sailing by.

She is off Portland at the moment. Destination to be confirmed.

Leigh

Viking Orion like some others are still waiting orders but going in the right general direction.

Sun Princess is leading her 2 local sisters into Vitiaz Strait PNG - east of Lae. 

Large number of ships anchored in Manilla Bay & very few alongside.

MSG Magnifica did not get bunkers at Colombo & is now in Gulf of Aden for Suez Canal - AIS still Colombo - sloppy operation.

Amsterdam alongside berth in Durban waiting bunker barge.

Arcadia was not allowed into Teneriffe. Now bound Southampton.

The World still stooging miles SW of Geraldton in International waters & just passed by Radiance ots.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, Ondine said:

I see the Pacific Aria has now left Melbourne and is on her way to Jakarta where she will no doubt offload her Indonesian crew members and maybe others from nearby countries.  This no doubt will already have been quietly organised with the relevant countries who have also closed their borders.

In some ways I can't see that ships flying flags of convenience are much different to very large corporations worldwide who register in the Cayman Islands to avoid paying taxes in countries where they mainly operate.  Shipping companies still have the bulk of their physical operations located in USA/UK/Aus etc.  All large companies do what is best for their bottom line.

It is not working for them at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Glad it was an officially approved exercise walk.    What is an unofficial exercise walk, one with a party of ten?

What a nice surprise to see Viking Orion sailing by. 

I like your Premier's common sense approach.  He didn't see how people could be stopped going to their holiday homes over Easter.  Did that hold?  

Edited by MMDown Under

On 4/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

This was posted on my Pacific Dawn facebook group, the image apparently came from a crew member:

92564221_10222918764056420_5073751373363

That is a very interesting document.  Must have been quite an exercise getting all the crew home to different countries.  My return cruise from Southampton to Brisbane, on P&O Chusan, was the last P&O ship to exchange crew at Goa, India.  After that, it was less expensive to fly crew to ships. 

Is "The World" technically a cruise ship because the passengers actually own her.

From Wikipedia 

The World is the largest privately owned residential yacht. The residents, from about 45 countries, live on board as the ship travels, staying in most ports several days. Some residents choose to live on board full-time while others visit periodically throughout the year.[1] It is operated by ROW Management, Ltd., headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States.

Flies the Bahamas flag.

12 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Is "The World" technically a cruise ship because the passengers actually own her.

From Wikipedia 

The World is the largest privately owned residential yacht. The residents, from about 45 countries, live on board as the ship travels, staying in most ports several days. Some residents choose to live on board full-time while others visit periodically throughout the year.[1] It is operated by ROW Management, Ltd., headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States.

Flies the Bahamas flag.

I think you'd have to see the contracts they have for their 'ownership'; it could be leasehold. I assume they don't have to stump up for maintenance and repairs to the ship although they probably have a maintenance levy. Your post and question raises an interesting point, though.

18 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think you'd have to see the contracts they have for their 'ownership'; it could be leasehold. I assume they don't have to stump up for maintenance and repairs to the ship although they probably have a maintenance levy. Your post and question raises an interesting point, though.

I found their web site once which gave the conditions of purchasing. It was quite involved. You had to prove not only assets over and above a certain figure ,but you also had to prove an annual income that would cover all outgoings on the ship .
Any owner is seriously rich .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I found their web site once which gave the conditions of purchasing. It was quite involved. You had to prove not only assets over and above a certain figure ,but you also had to prove an annual income that would cover all outgoings on the ship .
Any owner is seriously rich .

Absolutely. I found a link which says the average length of time owners spend on board is 2-3 months per year! So the cost per day in those circumstances is substantial. I know there are a few people who live full-time on some of the other lines - it is apparently cheaper than a nursing home in some situations. Maybe they don't have families?

Yes . Living full time on a cruise ship is about the same a# full time care in an upmarket rest home or village .....with one major proviso...

you must be healthy and fully able to look after and care for yourself. 
Moral of the story......

Cruise NOW .