Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Had a few freeze headaches from icy cold beverages, milk shakes, near frozen beers etc.  We did stupid things in our youth.

Some of the cocktails on cruise ships can give you freeze headaches if you're not careful, as can ice blended coffee drinks. 

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some of the cocktails on cruise ships can give you freeze headaches if you're not careful, as can ice blended coffee drinks. 

I cant drink cold coffee. In my opinion it can only be served hot and without any syrup. I would suggest just adding a bit of cold milk to cool it down a bit and feel more refreshing in general. Cold coffee is nothing more than sugars plus some water ice which eventually makes a sweet-coffee-water 

23 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I cant drink cold coffee. In my opinion it can only be served hot and without any syrup. I would suggest just adding a bit of cold milk to cool it down a bit and feel more refreshing in general. Cold coffee is nothing more than sugars plus some water ice which eventually makes a sweet-coffee-water 

Not the way I make iced coffee - espresso over ice with chilled milk added. Lovely on hot day.

I assume you're talking about American style brewed coffee when you suggest adding milk to it. Australian coffee culture is quite different. Brewed coffee is usually only found in hotels that cater to international visitors. Most serious Australian coffee drinkers prefer espesso-based drinks.

But you're right in that some of the Anerican coffee chain ice blended drinks are sugary but since I only ever have them when I'm travelling in Asia and since they actually make me sit and rest for half an hour (that's how long it takes me to drink one) then I'm happy to enjoy them occasionally.

Some Australian cafes are now offering Nitro coffee - chilled espresso aerated with liquid nitrogen. Sort of like non-alcoholic coffee flavoured Guiness.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not the way I make iced coffee - espresso over ice with chilled milk added. Lovely on hot day.

I assume you're talking about American style brewed coffee when you suggest adding milk to it. Australian coffee culture is quite different. Brewed coffee is usually only found in hotels that cater to international visitors. Most serious Australian coffee drinkers prefer espesso-based drinks.

But you're right in that some of the Anerican coffee chain ice blended drinks are sugary but since I only ever have them when I'm travelling in Asia and since they actually make me sit and rest for half an hour (that's how long it takes me to drink one) then I'm happy to enjoy them occasionally.

Some Australian cafes are now offering Nitro coffee - chilled espresso aerated with liquid nitrogen. Sort of like non-alcoholic coffee flavoured Guiness.

Nitro coffee, sounds good, not seen it down here, bit of a time warp here, they probably still usedownload.jpg.20ab145674baf5cf4048f11538ba6a1d.jpgI feel ill.

Edited by NSWP

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's how I make it too. Yum, occasionally add some ice cream but not all the time. Usually make a jug for a hot day. In the old days, used instant!

Leigh

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nitro coffee, sounds good, not seen it down here, bit of a time warp here, they probably still usedownload.jpg.20ab145674baf5cf4048f11538ba6a1d.jpgI feel ill.

Nitro coffee is good on a hot day. It's not found everywhere but some Harris Farm Markets have a cafe, called Charlotte Cafe, and they have it. 

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Indeed Adrian, Lavazza for me.

I find Lavazza too astringent. We usually get one of the Vittoria types of beans although sometimes we lash out and buy one of the more expensive brands. Vittoria is roasted in Australia, Lavazza is imported already roasted.

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

That's how I make it too. Yum, occasionally add some ice cream but not all the time. Usually make a jug for a hot day. In the old days, used instant!

Leigh

One cup is enough for me - too much milk otherwise. DH doesn't drink milky coffee at all.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One cup is enough for me - too much milk otherwise. DH doesn't drink milky coffee at all.

I'm not a big milk drinker and only light milk as the full fat milk doesn't agree with my digestive system. But I find that more ice the better and you don't need as much milk. It's not a big jug either, so probably all up, a glass and a half each.

Leigh

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm not a big milk drinker and only light milk as the full fat milk doesn't agree with my digestive system. But I find that more ice the better and you don't need as much milk. It's not a big jug either, so probably all up, a glass and a half each.

Leigh

Sensible to make it that way if there's two of you drinking it.

Another thing I've experimented with over summer is cold brew coffee. It's just coarsely ground coffee steeped in cold water overnight, then triple strained - once through a sieve, then twice through a wet paper towel lined sieve. It keeps for a few days in the fridge. I use a ratio of 1g of coffee to every 12ml of water, which gives a fairly strong brew. That's 83g per litre of water.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sensible to make it that way if there's two of you drinking it.

Another thing I've experimented with over summer is cold brew coffee. It's just coarsely ground coffee steeped in cold water overnight, then triple strained - once through a sieve, then twice through a wet paper towel lined sieve. It keeps for a few days in the fridge. I use a ratio of 1g of coffee to every 12ml of water, which gives a fairly strong brew. That's 83g per litre of water.

Must try it Julie. 

48 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

me very low tech... use a plunger.....

Same here I am low tech with plunger (which in summer is great for making cold brew) but I do splurge on my beans😋. I like the small batch roasteries that can tell you where they source the beans. At the moment I am enjoying a single origin from PNG, low on the acid with a hint of chocolate, just my cup of coffee 😁

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I find Lavazza too astringent. We usually get one of the Vittoria types of beans although sometimes we lash out and buy one of the more expensive brands. Vittoria is roasted in Australia, Lavazza is imported already roasted.

Vittoria is good, i buy that and Lavazza.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Same here I am low tech with plunger (which in summer is great for making cold brew) but I do splurge on my beans😋. I like the small batch roasteries that can tell you where they source the beans. At the moment I am enjoying a single origin from PNG, low on the acid with a hint of chocolate, just my cup of coffee 😁

If i had coffee this time of the evening, i would not sleep. I have two cups of coffee per diem, breakfast and mid morning smoko.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

We're actually having a splurge week with coffee beans. When we picked up our machine after a service and pressure valve repair we bought the Indian Malabar single origin they regularly have. It's a very smooth roast and works well for both espressos and lattes. Unfortunately that shop is too far away from where we live to make it a regular purchase.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

For me there is no mass market iced coffee better than this one, and I have tried them all.

Image result for farmers union iced coffee

As the slogan goes, "It's Farmer's Union Iced Coffee or it's nothing".

Tried that, good,  i like barista brothers too in the brown plastic bottles, i also am an iced coffee freak.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

If i had coffee this time of the evening, i would not sleep. I have two cups of coffee per diem, breakfast and mid morning smoko.

I try not to have coffee after 4pm except on very rare occasions if I've had a big meal at a restaurant (which doesn't happen very often these days). Coffee is a good digestive.

I must be the only person in Australia without a coffee machine, for me it is a plunger with ground lavazza or vittoria or a robert timms colombia coffee bag, does me. All donations gratefully accepted.😍

Edited by NSWP