Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

On 8/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, NSWP said:

P and O UK have cancelled their 2021 Worldie from and to Southampton, Jan to May. I was considering doing the half Worldie on that itinerary,  Syd to Southampton, like my wife and I did on Arcadia in 2012, via Africa, 49 days, great adventure, great memories.

I did not think it would go ahead . Too uncertain about access to the various ports around the world .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I did not think it would go ahead . Too uncertain about access to the various ports around the world .

Just saved myself 40k. Thats about 40 road trips in NSW. Lol

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

If you are into postulating when cruising could return, TV station Chanel 9 advertised ACA tonight (Mon 17th Aug) AEST 7pm as having a report on the future of cruising / potential resumption of cruising in Australia. Thanks to dougo in oz

If you're into that, there's probably no point watching this - it's ACA.

The segment is called "Cruise ship warning" and an intro line goes: "We went to all the cruise ship companies to ask their plans for restarting - and _none_ of them _wanted_ to talk to us about it!"

So it's just a few historic facts, some potential passenger speculation - and lots of drama.

Edited by The_Big_M

56 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

If you're into that, there's probably no point watching this - it's ACA.

The segment is called "Cruise ship warning" and an intro line goes: "We went to all the cruise ship companies to ask their plans for restarting - and _none_ of them _wanted_ to talk to us about it!"

So it's just a few historic facts, some potential passenger speculation - and lots of drama.

I think it will be 'cruise ship bashing''.

I'd rather do a cruise to nowhere, as long as it's somewhere warm, than cruise to interesting ports and be constrained either do to ship excursions only or stay onboard at the ports.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd rather do a cruise to nowhere, as long as it's somewhere warm, than cruise to interesting ports and be constrained either do to ship excursions only or stay onboard at the ports.

It would be like being in gaol and being let out on a work detail.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It would be like being in gaol and being let out on a work detail.

The ships security will fit each passenger up with an electronic tracking device, around the ankles, or to save costs, ye olde  ball and chain, lol.

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

The ships security will fit each passenger up with an electronic tracking device, around the ankles, or to save costs, ye olde  ball and chain, lol.

It’s fitted around the wrist so they track your every movement..

link to a video on the cruise from MSC board .showing the operation of this cruose

50 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It looks like Singapore is planning to get the show on the road in November.

https://mbccs.com.sg/search-ship-result/

It was reported the other day that Genting Hong Kong, owner of Crystal Cruises, Dream Cruises and Star Cruises, has halted payments on debts of almost $3.4bn. They would be very keen for cruising to resume to get the cash flowing in. They have already started cruising in Taiwan with Explorer Dream.

28 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It was reported the other day that Genting Hong Kong, owner of Crystal Cruises, Dream Cruises and Star Cruises, has halted payments on debts of almost $3.4bn. They would be very keen for cruising to resume to get the cash flowing in. They have already started cruising in Taiwan with Explorer Dream.

They can’t rely on a mortgage holiday to keep going running on forever , sooner or later the money  has to be paid back , either in cash or kind .

......a bit like the property market .

59 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I think their Chinese/Hong Kong run ?

The Chinese have started use of a vaccine , I suppose it’s a race to show the west how things should be done.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It’s fitted around the wrist so they track your every movement..

link to a video on the cruise from MSC board .showing the operation of this cruose

Royal Caribbean has those , wow bands. I think the idea come from Disney.

I remember we went to Disney world and you had to wear the magic band. The thing that I hated was when we got home ,Disney emailed hundreds of photos of us and wanted to sell them to us.Photos on rides,in the parks .

I felt it to be a invasion of privacy as it wasn’t with our consent.
No wonder the Americans are paranoid.

It’s another thing we can expect ,get home from your cruise and see a email of hundreds of photos.

Well we are on page 102 of this subject, and we've been into this pandemic on home soil for around 7+ months, and most of the early to mid posting has been a combination of guesswork and wishful thinking if we are honest with ourselves. While optimism has always been, and still is, present, and I'm of the optimistic type, I have a very strong gut feeling based on the way things have developed so far, that we will be very lucky if we see full time normal cruising before mid to late 2022 at the very earliest.

OK cat among the pigeons time. 😄

You might be correct, Bill. Cruising may start before then but would probably have a lot of restrictions - reduced numbers, use of masks, social distancing, limitations on where you can go and what you can do ashore.

Cruising as it used to be will take longer to return and, even then, there will be some differences ie no self serve buffets.

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You might be correct, Bill. Cruising may start before then but would probably have a lot of restrictions - reduced numbers, use of masks, social distancing, limitations on where you can go and what you can do ashore.

Cruising as it used to be will take longer to return and, even then, there will be some differences ie no self serve buffets.

In P&O Aust the buffet isn't self serve and I understand they have virtually eliminated noro. HAL don't have self-serve for the first couple of days of their cruises and it has substantially reduced noro. Eliminating self-serve in the buffets is probably inevitable and it could have some extra benefits, although I prefer serving myself.

Using a mask and social distancing - I don't think I want to go on a cruise with those restrictions. What do you do in the dining room if you have to wear a mask?

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Using a mask and social distancing - I don't think I want to go on a cruise with those restrictions. What do you do in the dining room if you have to wear a mask?

The DW and I were discussing this very point the other day. After starting to wear the masks when shopping, there is no way I would want to wear them all day. 😷 I take my hat off to the hospital staff that have to wear them all day. 👏

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The DW and I were discussing this very point the other day. After starting to wear the masks when shopping, there is no way I would want to wear them all day. 😷 I take my hat off to the hospital staff that have to wear them all day. 👏

I agree! And it's not just hospital staff now, it's other medical services, supermarket staff, etc.