Where will O ships be docked during cancellations

palakika

2 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Just watched Riviera leaving the port of Miami.  A pretty sad sight knowing how many people will be out of work like porters, cab drivers,  dock workers and all the rest. 

yes this virus is affecting a lot of people  from earning a living 

Many places are closing up  restaurants/bars/ sports facilities/ etc..

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

yes this virus is affecting a lot of people  from earning a living 

Many places are closing up  restaurants/bars/ sports facilities/ etc..

Really very sad.  Hope it will not last too long.  

5 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Just watched Riviera leaving the port of Miami.  A pretty sad sight knowing how many people will be out of work like porters, cab drivers,  dock workers and all the rest. 

Almost 500,000 Americans make their living from the cruise industry. Hopefully, someday, they will get their jobs back.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Really very sad.  Hope it will not last too long.  

Reno mayor has just announced the closure of all "non-essential" businesses and multiple counties in the SF Bay Area have instructed residents (almost 7 million) to "shelter in place" again with non-essential to be closed. I know this is a cruise site but a little more perspective could be a good thing. And RJB I'm not picking on you; just needed a place to tack this on.

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

Almost 500,000 Americans make their living from the cruise industry. Hopefully, someday, they will get their jobs back.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

What's the source of  that number ?

I just recently read a cruise line trade association press release that claims the cruise industry is responsible for 422,000 American jobs.  It went on to provide salaries equivalent to $55K per job.  This count is certainly not of cruise line employees and I would suspect that the methods used to develop this number might be biased towards the industry.  

But, needless to say, whatever the number is we all hope this ends and folks can get back on track with their livelihoods.   

Edited by ldubs

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

What's the source of  that number ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/14/white-house-signals-third-relief-bill-to-help-airline-and-cruise-industries-hit-by-coronavirus-pandemic.html

The Cruise Lines International Association has highlighted its role in the U.S. economy when announcing the decision to temporarily suspend cruise ship operations.

“The cruise industry is a vital artery for the U.S. economy, supporting over 421,000 American jobs, with every 30 cruisers supporting one U.S. job, and annually contributes nearly $53 billion to the U.S. economy,” it said in a statement.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, susiesan said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/14/white-house-signals-third-relief-bill-to-help-airline-and-cruise-industries-hit-by-coronavirus-pandemic.html

The Cruise Lines International Association has highlighted its role in the U.S. economy when announcing the decision to temporarily suspend cruise ship operations.

“The cruise industry is a vital artery for the U.S. economy, supporting over 421,000 American jobs, with every 30 cruisers supporting one U.S. job, and annually contributes nearly $53 billion to the U.S. economy,” it said in a statement.

"Supporting" jobs doesn't equate to those jobs being solely dependent on the cruise industry. Travel agents don't just book cruises. Airlines don't just fly cruisers to their destinations. Food suppliers don't just sell their products to cruise lines. Taxi drivers don't just drive cruise passengers to and from their ports. Contributing to the income of those industries and workers and others is not the same as saying they are totally dependent on the cruise industry.

CLIA is a trade association. Think of statements like that as advertising. It's puffery, a common advertising practice. They're going to make statements that while perhaps not overtly false are shaded to make it appear to the casual reader as though the industry is more important to the economy than it actually is. 

• Like 2

Tell that to the thousands of people in Florida at Miami and Fort Lauderdale who work at the port.  Go ahead and blow off all the people in the tourism industry in Alaska. Do you think taxi drivers would have the same amount of fares if people were not coming to Miami to take cruises but just taking a vacation in Miami? How many people would just fly to Alaska for a vacation if they were not taking a cruise?

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Tell that to the thousands of people in Florida at Miami and Fort Lauderdale who work at the port.  Go ahead and blow off all the people in the tourism industry in Alaska. Do you think taxi drivers would have the same amount of fares if people were not coming to Miami to take cruises but just taking a vacation in Miami? How many people would just fly to Alaska for a vacation if they were not taking a cruise?

As much as it pains me I had to give you a like. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, clo said:

Reno mayor has just announced the closure of all "non-essential" businesses and multiple counties in the SF Bay Area have instructed residents (almost 7 million) to "shelter in place" again with non-essential to be closed. I know this is a cruise site but a little more perspective could be a good thing. And RJB I'm not picking on you; just needed a place to tack this on.

LA and Riverside counties....  all restaurants closed except for take out    Orange county  malls all closed,   The whole of  So cal is shutting down...   Only good thing is the freeways are empty.    This is a problem that we all need to help and cooperate  closures  quarantine and forgo our individual wants for  the near future. Our individual actions can effect others... consider them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

No problem.  You can tack on to me anytime you need to.  Most important thing is to stay safe any way you have to. 

• Like 1

njhorseman, if your job in the cruise industry, or related jobs like porters and cab drivers, is your only income, you’re going to feel it in the worst way.  Taxi drivers aren’t getting many fares because places are closed, not to mention the fact that airports are virtually empty.  You could fire a cannon in a couple of terminals in Miami yesterday. Guys who take your luggage at the ports aren’t working.  All the contracted personnel who work in the cruise terminals doing things like checking in passengers aren’t working. Regardless of who’s disseminating the information, thousands of workers are negatively impacted.  Wonder how you’d feel if your only income in the cruise industry was stopped ? 

20 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

njhorseman, if your job in the cruise industry, or related jobs like porters and cab drivers, is your only income, you’re going to feel it in the worst way.  Taxi drivers aren’t getting many fares because places are closed, not to mention the fact that airports are virtually empty.  You could fire a cannon in a couple of terminals in Miami yesterday. Guys who take your luggage at the ports aren’t working.  All the contracted personnel who work in the cruise terminals doing things like checking in passengers aren’t working. Regardless of who’s disseminating the information, thousands of workers are negatively impacted.  Wonder how you’d feel if your only income in the cruise industry was stopped ? 

I fully understand the effects on individual's incomes and it's a serious problem. That's not my point . What I'm saying is that  CLIA  pr puff pieces are misleading because they want to make you believe the cruise lines' contributions to the economy are greater than they likely are. 

I'm fully sympathetic to the plight of the people affected. I have no sympathy for an industry that claims to be such an important part of the US economy while paying virtually nothing in corporate income taxes and I am very skeptical of what CLIA says and how they calculated their numbers. I understand numbers...I'm a mathematician and retired actuary and CLIA's numbers have a certain amount of stench to them.

• Like 8

Insignia left the port of Rio de Janeiro last Monday heading to the Caribbean without passengers. I met one of them at the airport and he said she was going to refuel in Curacao and then head to NCL's private island. Our ship was docked behind Insiginia in Rio.

Looks like the only O ship that doesn't have a firm destination is Marina. So far, no country is letting the passengers off.

There are 40 ships with 90,000 passengers worldwide that have no place to dock and disembark.

15 hours ago, susiesan said:

Looks like the only O ship that doesn't have a firm destination is Marina. So far, no country is letting the passengers off.

There are 40 ships with 90,000 passengers worldwide that have no place to dock and disembark.

Looks like the Marina is entering Panama Canal now on the way to Miami.  Should be able to dock there.