Carnival Stock

billco

3 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

If at all.  In the 1990s who would have thought that Kodak would go bankrupt?  They were the darling of photography, from National Geographic to Getty Images...  But the business model changed and they could not adapt.  I fear much the same for the cruise industry.  The only ray of hope I see is a highly effective vaccine that works for nearly all, and that may or may not happen.  The flu vaccine is only 50% effective.

That's all true and the image of cruising has dramatically changed from what it was only a few months ago to that of a place where people could possibly get stranded without any notice.

Even if they do come up with a vaccine and install effective filters to keep it from so easily spreading throughout the whole ship I don't think the cruising public will so fast to believe it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's all true and the image of cruising has dramatically changed from what it was only a few months ago to that of a place where people could possibly get stranded without any notice.

Even if they do come up with a vaccine and install effective filters to keep it from so easily spreading throughout the whole ship I don't think the cruising public will so fast to believe it.

Personal opinions not based on anything but own thoughts:

The cruising public is really composed of different groups.

a) One group are those who have cruised a number of times because they like cruising. I see these people likely to continue cruising once it is "safe" to do so again.

b) Another group are those who have cruised a couple of times but do not see it as the best way to take a vacation. Many in this group will decide that cruising in the future is not for them.

c) The third group are potential cruisers. These will be the hardest to convince to take a cruise.

There have been a number of posts saying that they will not cruise until a vaccine is available. That may not be for at least a year, but it will be longer than that until the effectiveness of the vaccine is truly known. The annual flu vaccine is rarely even 75% effective. The first shingles vaccine was (if I remember correctly) only about 60% effective and those who had this vaccine are encouraged to get the newer vaccine which is significantly more effective.

The risk of catching the virus on a cruise ship is not necessarily higher than other places such as the high number of those who tested positive after a choir rehearsal recently. Those who want to avoid cruising had better also avoid choir rehearsals, religious services, movie theaters, concerts, Broadway plays, etc. as someone with the virus and contagious can be in any of those venues in the future as easily as they can be on a cruise ship.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The risk of catching the virus on a cruise ship is not necessarily higher than other places such as the high number of those who tested positive after a choir rehearsal recently. Those who want to avoid cruising had better also avoid choir rehearsals, religious services, movie theaters, concerts, Broadway plays, etc. as someone with the virus and contagious can be in any of those venues in the future as easily as they can be on a cruise ship.

But if I get sick at home I have my medical insurance and doctors and hospitals and hopefully a ventilator if I need care. I am an avid cruiser but will be cautious and not cruise this year because I want to stay near home. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caribill said:

This is about the only part I don't quite agree with. While we limit our exposure at home most times by not attending (or limiting our exposure)about the things you posted, the closeness of being on a ship leaves a lot to be desired. Unless they can develop a reliable vaccine, lots of folks will be overly cautious about cruising in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

This is about the only part I don't quite agree with. While we limit our exposure at home most times by not attending (or limiting our exposure)about the things you posted, the closeness of being on a ship leaves a lot to be desired. Unless they can develop a reliable vaccine, lots of folks will be overly cautious about cruising in the future. 

Most cruises are 7 days or less. If you contract the virus on one of these cruises, you will be home before symptoms present themselves.

• Thanks 1

From a Carnival Form SC-13G report, Saudi Arabia now owns 8.2% of CCL Corp stock.

CITIZENSHIP OR PLACE OF ORGANIZATION

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
NUMBER OF SHARES BENEFICIALLY OWNED BY EACH REPORTING PERSON WITH
SOLE VOTING POWER
SHARED VOTING POWER
SOLE DISPOSITIVE POWER
SHARED DISPOSITIVE POWER
AGGREGATE AMOUNT BENEFICIALLY OWNED BY EACH REPORTING PERSON

CHECK BOX IF THE AGGREGATE AMOUNT IN ROW (9) EXCLUDES CERTAIN SHARES [  ]

PERCENT OF CLASS REPRESENTED BY AMOUNT IN ROW (9)

8.2% (1)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

Most cruises are 7 days or less. If you contract the virus on one of these cruises, you will be home before symptoms present themselves.

The cruise lines could start doing 3-4 day cruises and disembark passengers before they show symptoms but governments and ports would likely have something to say about that.

A lot of upward movement on Carnival stock prices this morning. News today of a recent huge bet on Carnival stock. An informative article on Barrons' website today:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/carnival-stock-rallies-after-saudi-stake-disclosure-and-a-zero-sail-liquidity-assessment-51586186393

I am considering buying more shares, but as an avid cruiser, I am emotionally invested. So since I am not a financial advisor, I am running the idea by mine. At the end of the day, its gambling.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

From a Carnival Form SC-13G report, Saudi Arabia now owns 8.2% of CCL Corp stock.

CITIZENSHIP OR PLACE OF ORGANIZATION

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
NUMBER OF SHARES BENEFICIALLY OWNED BY EACH REPORTING PERSON WITH
SOLE VOTING POWER
SHARED VOTING POWER
SOLE DISPOSITIVE POWER
SHARED DISPOSITIVE POWER
AGGREGATE AMOUNT BENEFICIALLY OWNED BY EACH REPORTING PERSON

CHECK BOX IF THE AGGREGATE AMOUNT IN ROW (9) EXCLUDES CERTAIN SHARES [  ]

PERCENT OF CLASS REPRESENTED BY AMOUNT IN ROW (9)

8.2% (1)

Someone had to buy the 62.5 million shares that was just sold.

We now know where the majority of the new offering went. That represents 350 million of the 500 million  CCL raised.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:56 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Yesterday I was 100% optimistic when I bought x shares of CCL at just over 8.05 per share. I became 1000% optimistic when I sold them this morning at 8.67 per share. 

(yes, I know there is no difference between the two levels of optimism) 

Cruise into the future... (Sadly, Just not until 2022) 

Very nice trade!  Congratulations!

4 hours ago, caribill said:

3 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

The cruise lines could start doing 3-4 day cruises and disembark passengers before they show symptoms but governments and ports would likely have something to say about that.

So true.

Maybe they should incorporate mandatory 14 day quarantine for all people on the ship if anyone comes down with the virus during the cruise.

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So true.

Maybe they should incorporate mandatory 14 day quarantine for all people on the ship if anyone comes down with the virus during the cruise.

If you want to be silly about it then why not have all cruises be 28 days and only sea days. That should provide enough pre-paid quarantine time

14 minutes ago, brisalta said:

If you want to be silly about it then why not have all cruises be 28 days and only sea days. That should provide enough pre-paid quarantine time

Not if someone boarded with the illness, as demonstrated by the returning ships from south america.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

We won't take 3-4 days cruises ourselves. Our average cruise length is between 12-14 days. We like longer cruises to interesting itineraries. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

We won't take 3-4 days cruises ourselves. Our average cruise length is between 12-14 days. We like longer cruises to interesting itineraries. 

We usually go for 7 day cruises, since our daughter is still going to school.

6 hours ago, enfuego4cruising said:

A lot of upward movement on Carnival stock prices this morning. News today of a recent huge bet on Carnival stock. An informative article on Barrons' website today:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/carnival-stock-rallies-after-saudi-stake-disclosure-and-a-zero-sail-liquidity-assessment-51586186393

I am considering buying more shares, but as an avid cruiser, I am emotionally invested. So since I am not a financial advisor, I am running the idea by mine. At the end of the day, its gambling.

Yup, things are definitely starting to look a little better for Carnival.

7 hours ago, enfuego4cruising said:

I already have 100 shares and am considering buying another 100, looking for capital gain over a few years.

The gamble is whether or not the company will survive. I suggest that you don't buy shares unless you can afford to lose your investment in the fairly unlikely event that the company will go belly-up.

Newbie needs advice please.

We've been cruising with Carnival for many years but never had a chance to invest in their shares but we've just received a small amount of money that's just enough to buy 100 shares.

The trouble is that I have not idea how to do this and I've been looking for days!

Can anyone tell me if I can buy 100 shares as a one off purchase?

Or do we need a Stocks & Shares ISA (UK)?

Or a Funded Shares Account?

Can anyone recommend an easy to use, value for money solution please?

As you can tell we're not experienced in this field and would just like to buy 100 shares for the long haul but also completely understand that we could lose our money.

All of your advice is very welcome.  

Thank you.

🙂

Not sure where you are located @Wellydancer but if you are in the UK or Australia / New Zealand then I suggest you check out Stake.  They allow you to purchase on the US exchange - this is how I bought my shares from NZ.  

I have used a couple of platforms to purchase shares and they are the easiest and cheapest....

19 minutes ago, sweetp12 said:

Not sure where you are located @Wellydancer but if you are in the UK or Australia / New Zealand then I suggest you check out Stake.  They allow you to purchase on the US exchange - this is how I bought my shares from NZ.  

I have used a couple of platforms to purchase shares and they are the easiest and cheapest....

Thank you Sweetp12.

We're in the UK.  I'll give Stake a look.  

🙂

26 minutes ago, Wellydancer said:

Thank you Sweetp12.

We're in the UK.  I'll give Stake a look.  

🙂

I would suggest you buy the UK stock if your based in the UK.  Lots of companies will let you do it - www.share.co.uk is what i use.

Someone asking similar a few years ago.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2593972-shareholder-benefits-for-uk/

We bought 100 shares last week for £6.02 per share feeling that it wasn't a great deal to lose in worst case scenario.  They are currently trading at £8.986 presumably up since Saudi Arabia bought an 8.2% share in Carnival. We use iWeb Sharedealing but I see they aren't accepting new customers at the moment