for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Anyone catch the new show on HGTV last night called My Big Italian Adventure?  It was entertaining -- I remember hearing a couple of years ago about how some of these small villages in Italy that were becoming depopulated (young people going to the big cities) had hatched a scheme to get new residents by offering older abandoned properties in town for sale for 1 euro. The catch is that you have to pay to renovate it within a certain amount of time or you lose the house (and an additional substantial deposit that you have to put down).

Anyway, actress Lorraine Bracco apparently put her name into the "lottery" for one of 16 houses in a place called Sambuca di Sicilia in Sicily, and actually did it. Her story is a little atypical (she buys the house next door as well because she needs more room) but it is fun to watch the transformation. It is an ongoing series.

In last night's show they just got started and by the and had renovated enough of the space that she had a bedroom, bathroom and small kitchen area to live in while they continue working on the rest...

it's Halloween tonight but we were advised by our city NOT to be "open" for trick-or-treaters, so I had to put away my potato gun for another year, lol.  

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks, Melody. I  know how much you enjoy your grandchildren!

Anita, thanks. On the subject of waiting to find out the sex, I was surprised to see that you, Melody and Lois all commented on this. I thought that we were in the minority because we also waited. It just seems that everyone expects a gender reveal party now days. 

Debbie, thanks so much and now I can also thank you and your husband again for participating in the vaccine trial because I see a vaccine as a step toward all of us getting back to some semblance of normality which, for me, will mean traveling to see my grandchild! Speaking of vaccine, it sounds like you may have been given the real deal! Interesting to read. about your reaction and I wonder if that will be common place. 

Kat, your “meeting” with Dr Fauci is so interesting. I’ve heard another dr talk about the T and B cells and how they work together. Also interesting is the difference in  the therapeutics. Of course none of us could hope for the magic cocktail that seems to cure you in just a few days.

I like your new job title. Is it his resort a time share? 

Lois, good luck with your insurance shopping. Sometimes it’s so confusing figuring out all info you need to make the best choice. 

Take care everyone.

Sharon

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Anyone catch the new show on HGTV last night called My Big Italian Adventure?  It was entertaining -- I remember hearing a couple of years ago about how some of these small villages in Italy that were becoming depopulated (young people going to the big cities) had hatched a scheme to get new residents by offering older abandoned properties in town for sale for 1 euro. The catch is that you have to pay to renovate it within a certain amount of time or you lose the house (and an additional substantial deposit that you have to put down).

Anyway, actress Lorraine Bracco apparently put her name into the "lottery" for one of 16 houses in a place called Sambuca di Sicilia in Sicily, and actually did it. Her story is a little atypical (she buys the house next door as well because she needs more room) but it is fun to watch the transformation. It is an ongoing series.

In last night's show they just got started and by the and had renovated enough of the space that she had a bedroom, bathroom and small kitchen area to live in while they continue working on the rest...

it's Halloween tonight but we were advised by our city NOT to be "open" for trick-or-treaters, so I had to put away my potato gun for another year, lol.  

I didn’t see the show but will have to check it out. We visited the little town where my dad was born, a small hill town in the Abruzzo region. The town was beautiful and one would never know  that most of the homes were empty. There were only about 135 people living there. We did not see the inside of any of the homes but from the outside, they were lovely.. Given the age of these buildings I imagine that renovation would be very expensive and even getting materials might be a problem. While there were no shops, there was. however, a winery in the town that did provide jobs. Very little English was spoken and it was as if time had stood still there. We stayed at an amazing agriturismo outside of the town.. I don’t think I will ever take another trip that will top that one!
Sharon

• Like 1

Kat on your black pants/leggings. Try Chicos. Their pointe pants are just fabulous & you can usually find a sale for about $35-39. Also, Costco, their Kirkland brand is fabulous & very reasonable 

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat on your black pants/leggings. Try Chicos. Their pointe pants are just fabulous & you can usually find a sale for about $35-39. Also, Costco, their Kirkland brand is fabulous & very reasonable 

I love ponte material, especially pants. They combine all the best functionality of knit pants but look dressier. Very popular now you can find whatever style you like -- legging, skinny leg, straight leg, boot-cut or wide. They wash and wear well but be warned that a lot of the brands shrink substantially on first washing. 

I've tried the J Jill ones but the seaming can sometimes be off on them and it bugs me over time. The Eileen Fisher ones are my faves (of course!) but are pricey unless you get a sale or find them on Ebay....

I'll try to reply to some stuff, but it's not going to be coherent.  You'll see why,.

sharon - my condos aren't a time share.  I actually work for a property management company who manages the condo complex for their HOA.   We also a vacation rental company around the country.  The owners can put their units in the rental pool if they want and we manage them.  

It'a hard to describe the leggings I want.  Ones that you would work in the garden maybe.  I've got to do a lot of physical work, so any kind of dressy pant just doesn't work.  I've got 3 pair of Athleta Delancy Herringbone leggings that are perfect.  Really can't do prints, so that leave a lot.  Oh well.  

OK.  Get ready for this one.  Lois - I'll agree that EMT/paramedics are Hot!!!  

Not the best 3 days. Friday evening, I stood up and right away passed out, whacking the back of my head on my slate tile floor. It took me about 20 minutes (I think) to crawl to the bedroom, puking along the way. I was able to grab the phone and call 911 (I don't mess with passing out and puking when I hit my head). Poor EMT had to crawl through my bedroom window because all my doors were locked. They decided to ride me down to the University Hospital in case it was a head injury. Spent the night in the ER. Got the CT scan and all was clear, they even did my heart and it was clear. Blood tests were all good except WBC. no biggie with all I've been dealing with. They let me sleep awhile there a little longer before they released me. Kept walking me around until I wasn't wobbly and nauseous. Got back home about 8am Saturday (the nice emts had collected my purse, phone, and keys and locked up after they took me out). I went right to bed and slept until about 6pm. Ate some yogurt and drank some water. Went back to bed and slept until noon today. Had some cottage cheese with pineapple and more water. I may go back to bed soon.
It was a wonderful way to spend the weekend. NOT. Thanks to the great PCFD EMTs and Dr. Mark and my great nurse TJ for taking care of me! I'll be taking it mellow until my head stops hurting and can stay awake.

Oh Kat, I’m so sorry! I hope you are feeling better now. Any idea what caused it? 

Ok, I know what you mean about the condos. We stayed in a complex like that on the Big Island. The owners kept personal items in a locked closet so I sdpsdume they used the condo also. 

Kat, oh my gosh, that's crazy & awful, & not the way to spend a weekend...  I hope they can figure out why that happened to you...  

Sharon, your trip to Italy sounds wonderful... hopefully we can all be safely doing things again someday...  

Cynthia, I did not watch the show, but it sounds right up my alley, going to do a search & DVR it

Everybody:  have a great week, going to TJ today to stock up on wine for tomorrow :classic_blink:

I've been having bouts of lightheadness and some nasty vertigo for the past month.  Not suprisingly, a lot of post-COVID people get hit with this.  I never had this problem before, so it's annoying.  Everything on the CT was clear, next thought is inner ear.  So, I have to get my PCP to give an OK to have an consult with an ENT.  Like I said - COVID: the gift that keeps giving.

I am feeling better today.  I woke up at a normal hour.  I just have the back of my head touch anything or I'll go through the ceiling,  it is really tender.    Yeah, defintely NOT the weekend I wanted.

JJill pants are not for me - I don't have the hips or butt to fill them out.  I do have a pair of Elaine Fisher ponte pants, but I'd be afraid to wear them and get a rip if a ski caught them when I'm putting them away.   If we could wear jeans,  it would be solved.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Since we voted last week I plan to spend my day cleaning and organizing my freezers and pantry to get ready for the Holidays.  It has finally gotten a little cool here which gets me in the Holiday planning mood.  My husband has been busy starting the front sidewalk.  For some reason none of the previous owners ever put in a walk from the front door to the parking area.  It will be a big job but very nice when he is done and it gives him something to do while he is waiting for the contractors to start on his big workshop.

• Like 2

Feeling kind of ok today.  I still have a headache and if I accidentally put the back of my head against a pillow or chair, it's pretty painfully tender.  Sucks to be me.  Forgot last night that today is trash day and I didn't put it out.  And, of course, instead of coming around about 1pm, they came before 8am, so I didn't get it out.  When is 2020 going to end???

I think I'm going to blow the T2 diet and order a pizza from Domino's tonight.  I need some bread (my comfort food) and I can use some veggies.  Sometimes I just have to...

Watching the Below Deck marathon (still).  Today is BD Med from the first episode.  Poor Danny.  Eventually I might change the channel for a second or two.  

OOTD: Just hanging out in my lounging yoga pants and a Tshirt.  

Hey Kat.  I’m sorry you still aren’t feeling ok. Hope your trash cans weren’t full and you can get another week’ worth in them.  

Watched  the new Below Deck last night. A bit of a scare when Lee ended up in the hospital. I guess he doesn’t have a back up so good that he made it back. What did you think of the new chief stew? I laughed when the primary took over the bar. 

Didn’t feel like even thinking about dinner tonight so we also ordered from Dominos. Need to go shopping -no salad items in the frig so I made a vegetable just to pretend we were eating “healthy”! 

Had my hair cut today so put some nicer clothes on and eye makeup up. Figured the mask covers most of the rest.

Take care all and especially Kat!

Sharon

Morning!

awhfy - I do have a travel pillow,  good idea!   Today, I don't jump when I put my head back, so it's getting better.

I think the entire country ordered Domino's last night!  It took an hour to get delivered and I live 5 minutes from the store - usually it's 30 minutes.  I went with the Philly Cheesesteak, protein and dairy 🤪  And, I also got a salad to satisfy the veggie need.  Gotta say, that Cheesesteak was good.  Last pizza for quite awhile, though. 

Watched Below Deck, too.  Talk about getting tossed into the fire right away!!!   Losing your best deckhand 2nd day, wow.  I wonder who Lee will bring back?  I can't imagine putting in a new face.  Poor Francesca, again she didn't have any time to get the interior together.  And, to have to deal with those guests for the first charter - definitely not good.  It was funny when the guest was behind the bar - almost like they were warned ahead of time that it could be a rough cruise, service-wise.  The Primary was a real ***** on the other 2 cruises he had.  Capt. Lee - he's going to go bonkers this year.  And Kate - she's sitting pretty in her NYC apartment, getting paid to still be a b*tch on different Bravo shows.   The one thing that jumped out at me was the backpack Eddie was wearing when he boarded - I have that same Cotopaxi pack!  

I have to run out and pick up a prescription that my pharmacist had to order,  so it'll be leggings and a sweatshirt kind of day.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, anyone else not sleep last night?  As in never went to bed?   

Kat, I hope your head is doing better :)   I've never watched below Deck, but it sounds interesting... does it actually take place on a cruise ship?  Regarding the type of pants you are looking for, try American Giant....  I have their kick flare pants & they are indestructible, & very comfy,  they make several styles of leggings as well in a nice ponte weave and are affordable, not see through and very stretchy with out bagging out after bending over or squatting...

Sharon, woo hoo on the haircut!   I am finally going to get mine done on Monday... was supposed to last week, but stuff happened.  

OOTD:

it's  a little after noon here, still in jammies ;)  "brunch before lunch" tank top, & flannel boxers...  will change into running shorts & tee in a bit, & possibly wash my face, maybe...;)

-Debbie

take care everyone,  & hugs to whoever needs it XXXX

9 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi everyone, anyone else not sleep last night?  As in never went to bed?   

Kat, I hope your head is doing better 🙂   I've never watched below Deck, but it sounds interesting... does it actually take place on a cruise ship?  Regarding the type of pants you are looking for, try American Giant....  I have their kick flare pants & they are indestructible, & very comfy,  they make several styles of leggings as well in a nice ponte weave and are affordable, not see through and very stretchy with out bagging out after bending over or squatting...

Sharon, woo hoo on the haircut!   I am finally going to get mine done on Monday... was supposed to last week, but stuff happened.  

OOTD:

it's  a little after noon here, still in jammies 😉  "brunch before lunch" tank top, & flannel boxers...  will change into running shorts & tee in a bit, & possibly wash my face, maybe...;)

-Debbie

take care everyone,  & hugs to whoever needs it XXXX

I forced myself to go to bed and attempt to sleep.  I put on my "Distant Thunderstorm" app and just had it in the background.

Below Deck takes place on large charter yachts.  So, about 6-8 guests and a chef, 3 stewards and 3-4 deck crew.  Hit all those fun little places that cruise ships can't.  Rich people usually behaving badly.  A lot of the crew is inexperienced in the way of "white boat" cruising so you get to see mistakes.  And, being "reality TV", lots of drama.

I've seen ads for American Giant.  I may take a look.  

• Like 1