How are the Swans doing 2020

The big sporting carnival in Tokyo is going down the gurgler as well.  At the end of the day football, Olympics and all the rest are just sports.   Human life is more important.  I reckon the NRL got pressured by the government to throw in the towel, idiots held out for a while. No doubt all the football codes will get a government handout, if Centrelink has any money left that is.   I was in Batemans Bay CBD, not that I was heading there, but the queue at the big Centrelink building was about a kilometre long.  So many jobs lost down here in tourism and hospitality.

1 hour ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, Gillon McLachlan, that's the guy! I hope the can figure out a way to stay solvent, it would be a shame to lose the AFL.

And, as I was mulling over the complete failure of my fav American/NFL team to do anythig useful this off-season, I thought of some additional questions for us to discuss:

If you owned an AFL team, what change would you work to have the league make and/or what changes to your fav team or club?

If I owned the Swans, I would have fan appreciation nights 1/month and give away free food, T-shirts and other team stuff. Maybe they already do this, I only went to 1 game. It was the night the Chinese Ambassador or something was coming, so they had carnival games set up where you could win prizes and were giving away shirts, little footballs, flags, etc. It was lots of fun and we got some great Swans swag 😄

Most of the AFL clubs are owned by their members. The two WA clubs are owned by the Western Australian Football Commision I think. The Swans and the Brisbane Bears (now Lions) were at times owned by private companies. Originally I think that the Eagles were owned by a company when they started.

I think most clubs have family days before the start of the season where supporters and members get to meet the players, there are activities for the kids to do etc. After a win or sometimes even after a loss, players hand out small footballs or caps to the kids around the fence - my two grandsons have been fortunate in that regard with footballs and elder grandddaughter was given a cap by her favourite player.

As a member and part owner of Essendon I want the club to be well run and successful. Crowd involvment is inportant at games so that should be encouraged.

Leigh

Leigh, if I may, without being rude, Australian Rules Football is a religion down there south of the border, is it not? 😁      'South of the border...down Mexico Way, doo de doo.'     Stay safe.

Edited by NSWP

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Australian Rules Football is a religion down there south of the border, is it not

I think it is also akin to a religion / cult in SA and WA.  In fact, I think supporters in all States with teams competing consider the whole thing a fairly important matter.  I was hoping that Tassie would get a guernsey and one day the NT too.  ACT had their chance when North Melbourne changed to the Kangaroos and now they've missed out.  Remember that Mic?

45 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Leigh, if I may, without being rude, Australian Rules Football is a religion down there south of the border, is it not? 😁      'South of the border...down Mexico Way, doo de doo.'     Stay safe.

Certainly is Les and in SA,  WA and Tasmania becoming so in QLD and NSW. More and more kids playing AFL and doing Auskick up north. NRL hasn't really made the same inroads into the other states I don't think. AFL is pretty popular in NT too. We might follow Storm here in Melbourne but that is just because it's based here. We'll watch the State of Origin games and perhaps watch when the Wallabies play (I know different rugby). 

You stay safe too Les.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

A few other upsets this weekend.

Certainly were Mic. 

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

If @NoWhiners is coming back,

AFL round 2 commenced this weekend.

Sydney 73 lost to Essendon 79 just completed.

Buddy Did not play and is out for an indefinite period with injury.

She’ll be back and knew Swans were playing Bombers this afternoon. 

Leigh

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Docker123 said:

If @NoWhiners is coming back,

AFL round 2 commenced this weekend.

Sydney 73 lost to Essendon 79 just completed.

Buddy Did not play and is out for an indefinite period with injury.

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Certainly were Mic. 

She’ll be back and knew Swans were playing Bombers this afternoon. 

Leigh

Hi mates!

I meant to come back as soon as the season re-started but I was distracted by other events (home remodeling, trying not to catch the virus, playing golf).

I have been following the results and was sad to see that the Swans lost. I'm sure they are  a bit rusty but at least they won their first game back. Once Buddy is back, we'll be better. But, on the plus side, a US sports network is carrying a lot of the games live. Now, if only I could stay awake or get up in the wee hours to watch them.😁

What is the current thinking on the best teams? How will the playoffs be handled? I have questions, help me out!

Go Swans.

Edited by NoWhiners
add info

6 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

What is the current thinking on the best teams? How will the playoffs be handled? I have questions, help me out!

Go Swans.

The teams that impressed me on the weekend were North Melbourne, Geelong, St Kilda and Port Adelaide. Don't write off Richmond, Collingwood or Sydney.

4 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Thanks for the info. Will the playoffs be decided as usual or are there special considerations for this season?

Go Swans!

They have only released dates up until round 5. They are planning 18 rounds it total with the finals planned in October. No dates have been confirmed.  More details will be released after round 5.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

They have only released dates up until round 5. They are planning 18 rounds it total with the finals planned in October. No dates have been confirmed.  More details will be released after round 5.

Thanks, By The Bay. I will try and keep up better now! I am going to try and watch the games we get this weekend. Will have to set my alarm 😪

Now a real problem for the AFL.

Essendon player Connor McKenna has tested positive to Covid.  Essendon-Melbourne game postponed as isolation and additional testing implemented.

McKenna has returned to Ireland when the season was halted. There was speculation that he was not going to return.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

In hindsight he should have stayed in Eire.

As Conor doesn’t come from Eire, he wouldn’t be staying there. He is from NI, County Tyrone I believe. He has been back in Melbourne for 5 weeks so very unlikely to have contracted the virus there. He has undergone at least two tests per week as per protocol and today’s result was the first positive. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52