How are the Swans doing 2020

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Now a real problem for the AFL.

Essendon player Connor McKenna has tested positive to Covid.  Essendon-Melbourne game postponed as isolation and additional testing implemented.

McKenna has returned to Ireland when the season was halted. There was speculation that he was not going to return.

Apparently he did do his two weeks in isolation and has been tested 4 times as negative before his last positive one.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Apparently he did do his two weeks in isolation and has been tested 4 times as negative before his last positive one.

Who's a naughty boy then?

"The AFL is set to probe whether Essendon's Conor McKenna has breached the league's strict protocols for COVID-19 following his positive test to the virus.

Sources confirmed that McKenna is suspected to have breached the AFL's tight rules - which are far stricter than those facing the community - and that it will investigate his actions, while it also deals with the Department of Health and Human Services to contact trace the Irish defender and seeks to prevent any further infections." Source

25 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Who's a naughty boy then?

"The AFL is set to probe whether Essendon's Conor McKenna has breached the league's strict protocols for COVID-19 following his positive test to the virus.

Sources confirmed that McKenna is suspected to have breached the AFL's tight rules - which are far stricter than those facing the community - and that it will investigate his actions, while it also deals with the Department of Health and Human Services to contact trace the Irish defender and seeks to prevent any further infections." Source

The simple explanation is he broke the rule sand caught it somewhere. if that is not the case, it really does have some big ramifications in terms of what we know about the virus's incubation period.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:13 AM, MicCanberra said:

The simple explanation is he broke the rule sand caught it somewhere. if that is not the case, it really does have some big ramifications in terms of what we know about the virus's incubation period.

He probably caught it in Australia, and seems to have been moving about outside the permitted.

Ramifications at Essendon, and AFL, as he took part in training and is reported to have been at team meetings and weight room while waiting for test results.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

So he didn't self isolate properly.

Why would he have to self isolate Mic? He had done his two weeks quarantine. Do you mean because he was waiting for results of the test? All the players were waiting for their results. His test result came while he was at the club on Saturday morning. He didn’t participate in training, only the team meeting where there was social distancing. His result came back as pending so he was given another test straight away and the result came back early that afternoon. After which the press conference by the AFL was called. 

Leigh

26 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Why would he have to self isolate Mic? He had done his two weeks quarantine. Do you mean because he was waiting for results of the test? All the players were waiting for their results. His test result came while he was at the club on Saturday morning. He didn’t participate in training, only the team meeting where there was social distancing. His result came back as pending so he was given another test straight away and the result came back early that afternoon. After which the press conference by the AFL was called. 

Leigh

The AFL has strict rules about what players are & aren't allowed to do, in order to minimise the risk to the competition.  McKenna appears to have breached those rules, with potentially serious implications for the AFL's ability to conduct the competition.

Players are supposed to remain within a club "bubble".  McKenna went outside the bubble, and this is the end result.  McKenna will be looking at a very lengthy suspension as a result.

He tested negative on Wednesday, then had an "irregularity" (very low grade positive) when tested on Friday.  He participated in training on Friday, which is when he is likely to have infected his teammates.  He was subsequently tested again on Saturday morning, which is when the positive result was returned.  He didn't train with his teammates on Saturday.

Edited by Vader1111

21 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Players are supposed to remain within a club "bubble".  McKenna went outside the bubble, and this is the end result.  McKenna will be looking at a very lengthy suspension as a result.

He should be able to return to Northern Ireland and serve out his suspension, if he is out until the end of the season.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I had read that he did 2 weeks self isolation, not quarantine, so when Docker had posted I was enquiring as to what he meant. seems the question mark was left off.  As I posted before, either he broke the isolation or the incubation period is much longer than just 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

The AFL has strict rules about what players are & aren't allowed to do, in order to minimise the risk to the competition.  McKenna appears to have breached those rules, with potentially serious implications for the AFL's ability to conduct the competition.

He tested negative on Wednesday, then had an "irregularity" (very low grade positive) when tested on Friday.  He participated in training on Friday, which is when he is likely to have infected his teammates.  He was subsequently tested again on Saturday morning, which is when the positive result was returned.  He didn't train with his teammates on Saturday.

The regulations have been slightly relaxed on what AFL players are allowed to do. The Victorian teams' players are all living in their own homes and are/were allowed to visit family and a number of other things including open houses if looking to buy a house. This is a grey area as Conor was (according to the Essendon CEO) looking for a new house to rent as his lease is nearly up. He also reportedly visited the people he lived with when he arrived in Melbourne and considers them family. 

Leigh

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I had read that he did 2 weeks self isolation, not quarantine, so when Docker had posted I was enquiring as to what he meant. seems the question mark was left off.  As I posted before, either he broke the isolation or the incubation period is much longer than just 2 weeks.

Doesn't everyone returning to Australia have to do two weeks quarantine in a hotel?

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Delete

40 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Doesn't everyone returning to Australia have to do two weeks quarantine in a hotel?

Leigh

depends if they had exemptions or not, Connor seems to have come from Ireland due to an exemption as he is not Australian or a resident.

Conor did a 2 week quarantine on his return. But did stretch some of the going out definitions somewhat.

Interesting, the Essendon CEO today raised the potential of him have contracted while OS.

I seem to recall there was someone in Queensland who reportedly tested positive about 4-5 weeks after returning.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

The regulations have been slightly relaxed on what AFL players are allowed to do. The Victorian teams' players are all living in their own homes and are/were allowed to visit family and a number of other things including open houses if looking to buy a house. This is a grey area as Conor was (according to the Essendon CEO) looking for a new house to rent as his lease is nearly up. He also reportedly visited the people he lived with when he arrived in Melbourne and considers them family. 

Leigh

Attending the open inspection is a grey area.  Players are allowed to attend them if they're in the process of selling.  McKenna is only renting (his lease is expiring), and renting isn't covered by the exemption.  That said, I think they'd look at that the same way as buying.  It's grey, but probably OK.

Visiting the family where he was previously boarding was outside the rules.

A friend who lives in Melbourne knows of two people, just in her circle of friends, acquaintances and other contacts, who had false positive tests, so a false positive for McKenna is a real possibility.

Good news for Essendon and the playing group.

"Essendon has named just one player who will be forced into quarantine for 14 days after Conor McKenna tested positive for coronavirus. James Stewart, who has not played an AFL game since round 11 in 2018, was the only player considered a "close contact" of McKenna" ABC

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Good news for Essendon and the playing group.

"Essendon has named just one player who will be forced into quarantine for 14 days after Conor McKenna tested positive for coronavirus. James Stewart, who has not played an AFL game since round 11 in 2018, was the only player considered a "close contact" of McKenna" ABC

And if you genuinely believe that Stewart is the only close contact, then I have a bridge to sell you...

** I know that's what Essendon have reported, and you're only posting what they said.  I just don't believe Essendon at all - they're 100% telling porky pies.

Edited by Vader1111
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

And if you genuinely believe that Stewart is the only close contact, then I have a bridge to sell you...

** I know that's what Essendon have reported, and you're only posting what they said.  I just don't believe Essendon at all - they're 100% telling porky pies.

It did appear a little too optimistic. However, the DHHS have confirmed only two players will be in isolation.

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

As Essendon FC weren’t the ones to make the decision who was to isolate, it’s a bit of a stretch calling them liars - telling porky pies. It was DHHS who decided. 

Edited by possum52

I've come to this conversation late, but from the footage I have seen of him training with others, I would say that all those at that session are tainted. The amount of spitting, blowing noses etc was amazing.

On a slightly different tack I'm amazed at the amount of close contact, hugging when celebrating tries, goals etc. (in both NRL and AFL) I really thought that such close contact makes a mockery of all the other restrictions.

• Like 1

Nothing about these restrictions makes sense.  Odd that they can tackle, hug and jump on one another and have an all in brawl yet when they get back to the dressing rooms they have to stand 5ft apart.  Nothing makes sense anymore.

I think the TV keeps showing scenes of spitting and snorting just for the attention but it is a dirty habit.