better I cancel the cruise or wait for HAL to cancel it

the col.

We have a mid-May land /sea cruise starting in Fairbanks--for the past week I cannot contact the HAL person who booked our cruise and flight.. I feel certain there is a long wait to speak to them. I am a disabled Vietnam Vet and this might be my last cruise-- will they someday contact me--or should I just keep trying--I have been reading here that people are getting many different types of offers  to get them to re-book with them--how do you make these deals--or do just take what they offer you? Thanks for your help--

An edited version of something I posted for a thread that was created just 6 minutes before yours on almost the exact same topic...

Mid May almost 2 months away...a VERY long time in the current situation. There are higher priorities right now...people are still being cleared from ongoing cruises, for example. If you look round the board there are people who have not heard about cruises weeks in front of yours. 

But, this doesn't stop you from calling...

• Like 1

I understand there’s a lot going on, but they no the cruise’s That are going to be canceled. For instance my June cruise leaving Vancouver. It would be easy to just announce these cruise’s cancelled. I think they are trying to wait and hope people cancel on their own so they won’t have to give 100% refunds. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, dave34 said:

I understand there’s a lot going on, but they no the cruise’s That are going to be canceled. For instance my June cruise leaving Vancouver. It would be easy to just announce these cruise’s cancelled. I think they are trying to wait and hope people cancel on their own so they won’t have to give 100% refunds. 

We're in the same position with a june Alaska cruise and i agree with you.  There seems to be a strange rush to defend HAL for a lack of communication here which i find....puzzling.

How much work does it take to send out an email on this?  It would certainly help with the flood of calls they're likely receiving on this situation.  It seems like they're hoping either ppl cancel on their own out of frustration or hoping they can find some other way to still make the cruises happen....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave34 said:

This is a false concern. We canceled ours and the took care of us. There isn't always a conspiracy behind everything...

• Like 2

My advice is to wait and let them cancel so you will get your money back. We waited anxiously to hear anything about our March 17 flight departure for March18 Hawaii cruise (while Hawaii’s Lt. Governor asked the Federal Government to close their ports and the Princess ship was circling out off the CA coast). Finally, I couldn’t take the stress of uncertainty anymore and we cancelled on March 13. They cancelled all operations two days later.

This was a major splurge for our 40th anniversary, so it was the most we have ever spent on a trip. We have asked for but been denied a refund.Those who stuck it out for two more days got a choice of their money back or a more generous future cruise credit. 

I hope our credit will be worth something eventually.

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is a false concern. We canceled ours and the took care of us. There isn't always a conspiracy behind everything...

I agree with you! Our situation was quite different since we were on the Rotterdam 4 days into our Panama Canal cruise when we were told to get off in PV to go home.

When Captain Albert said due to a heavy heart we must cancel all of our HAL cruises due to vivid-19 HAL will take care of everyone. In our case my PCC let me know that we will get 100% monies back as well as FCC 100% of our base fare for another cruise. She did tell me this take priority and then the domino effect of having to get all our cruises in the future ca.I believe HAL will IMO will give all cruise FCC back to all.

Please we are all in this together and so far This Stay At Home were are in in San Diego I pray we get through it!

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

My advice is to wait and let them cancel so you will get your money back. We waited anxiously to hear anything about our March 17 flight departure for March18 Hawaii cruise (while Hawaii’s Lt. Governor asked the Federal Government to close their ports and the Princess ship was circling out off the CA coast). Finally, I couldn’t take the stress of uncertainty anymore and we cancelled on March 13. They cancelled all operations two days later.

This was a major splurge for our 40th anniversary, so it was the most we have ever spent on a trip. We have asked for but been denied a refund.Those who stuck it out for two more days got a choice of their money back or a more generous future cruise credit. 

I hope our credit will be worth something eventually.

This is what I’m referring to. HAL no these cruise’s are cancelled so just announce it. Waiting and letting people cancel on their own is something people will remember in the future. People have other arrangements they need to cancel, hotels, car rentals and so on and waiting is just pissing people off. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Could you please be more specific with respect to the "care"?

Was is a cash refund or a credit?

• Like 1

I would definitely wait.  Friends who didn't wait and canceled their cruises only got a 100% refund.  Others, like us, who waited until HAL said the cruise was canceled, got 125% future cruise credit plus $250/per person on board credit.  Try to be patient, they will cancel.

Edited by Cruising-along

20 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I agree with you! Our situation was quite different since we were on the Rotterdam 4 days into our Panama Canal cruise when we were told to get off in PV to go home.

When Captain Albert said due to a heavy heart we must cancel all of our HAL cruises due to vivid-19 HAL will take care of everyone. In our case my PCC let me know that we will get 100% monies back as well as FCC 100% of our base fare for another cruise. She did tell me this take priority and then the domino effect of having to get all our cruises in the future ca.I believe HAL will IMO will give all cruise FCC back to all.

Please we are all in this together and so far This Stay At Home were are in in San Diego I pray we get through it!

Denise😊

I'm very glad HAL took care of you when your cruise abruptly ended four days after it started. You were brave to set sail in the midst of the turmoil, with the state department no longer promising that American Citizens would be helped. I am glad you were one of the fortunate cruisers during these difficult times who got home all right with no illness and that you have a promise of a full refund and future cruise credit. 

I hope the promises are fulfilled and that we will be able to use our future cruise credit. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I would definitely wait.  Friends who didn't wait and canceled their cruises only got a 100% refund.  Others, like us, who waited until HAL said the cruise was canceled, got 125% future cruise credit plus $250/per person on board credit.  Try to be patient, they will cancel.

Only if they cancelled their cruises outside the cancellation penalty period or had cancel-for-any-reason cover did people get a full refund.  

Due to fear of the whole situation, we cancelled two days before HAL did. No refund.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I'm very glad HAL took care of you when your cruise abruptly ended four days after it started. You were brave to set sail in the midst of the turmoil, with the state department no longer promising that American Citizens would be helped. I am glad you were one of the fortunate cruisers during these difficult times who got home all right with no illness and that you have a promise of a full refund and future cruise credit. 

I hope the promises are fulfilled and that we will be able to use our future cruise credit. 

Thank you for the kind words!

we too are happy this happened!! We also were going on Oceania in March 27 doing a TA to the Med and another cruise with them B2B! Oceania came through and I got emails on Rotterdam they canceled prior to our disembark from Captain Albert! Same as HAL 200% monies back in cruises and 100% FCC.

Big relief since our final destination was Paris on our own for over a week!

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thank you for the kind words!

we too are happy this happened!! We also were going on Oceania in March 27 doing a TA to the Med and another cruise with them B2B! Oceania came through and I got emails on Rotterdam they canceled prior to our disembark from Captain Albert! Same as HAL 200% monies back in cruises and 100% FCC.

Big relief since our final destination was Paris on our own for over a week!

Denise😊

Sorry fat fingers 😞100% monies back👍

2 hours ago, dave34 said:

It would be easy to just announce these cruise’s cancelled.

1 hour ago, nickel-and-dime-me said:

How much work does it take to send out an email on this? 

Sure it would be easy, and isn't a lot of work. But, while that work is being done, other work isn't getting done at all. That other work just may have a higher priority than canceling cruises two or more months out at the moment. 
Not everyone can be first in line. Patience is necessary. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

Could you please be more specific with respect to the "care"?

Was is a cash refund or a credit?

We rebooked to a future cruise, using the FCC, which was equal to the FCD we used to book the original cruise. No issues (other than a bit of a wait to get through). It is, however, taking a long time to process the new invoice.

49 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Sure it would be easy, and isn't a lot of work. But, while that work is being done, other work isn't getting done at all. That other work just may have a higher priority than canceling cruises two or more months out at the moment. 

Not all cruises are two or three months out.  We are one month out, and have international flights involved, as well as domestic, as well as hotel arrangements.  We feel that they should do the right thing and extend the "pause" on cruises.  Otherwise, if we cancel on our own, we lose a boatload of insurance.  Perhaps that is what they are hoping, that we use our insurance and they recoup some of the cruise money.  

56 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Wise words Ruth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm due to sail on Zaandam 4/21 and no word yet.  I believe she's still at sea.

HAL has ships out there with passengers that they have to get home.  Then they have the cruises that have already been cancelled.  With over a dozen ships, I'm sure it's taking a lot of time to deal with everything/everyone.

I'd love to go ahead and cancel, but I'm going to continue to try to be patient and wait until HAL cancels it.  As far as I know, the situation is still that if I cancel, I get the current offer - FCC for my fare paid.  That's it.  So, I'm hoping that if HAL cancels, I'll get that (or better yet, a refund) PLUS an offer for future OBC, which is what some other lines are doing.  Since our cruise was a repo FLL to Montreal - and Canada is closed for business - I'm 99.9% sure they will have to cancel it.  Can't change the itinerary since Caribbean ports are turning ships away, too.  I get it.  It would be nice to know.

Just because we believe they'll be cancelling cruises farther out doesn't mean that they're going to say, 'Hey, folks!  All cruises cancelled for the next 2 (or 4 or 6) months!  They need to take care of things in order.  In my business, this is referred as FIFO - first in, first out.  They'll get around to us eventually.

37 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We rebooked to a future cruise, using the FCC, which was equal to the FCD we used to book the original cruise. No issues (other than a bit of a wait to get through). It is, however, taking a long time to process the new invoice.

I guess that works for folks who intend to take another cruise. However, in my case - and I suspect that I am  not alone - it would be preferable to have a cash refund, even if it means the loss of some on board credit and other perks.

We may choose to sail again at some future date, but for the time being we would like to get our other ducks in a row, including cancelling air and hotel reservations, and start with a clean slate when the time is right.

Edited by daisy-mae
spelling
  • Like 2

We are on the same cruise as NCTribe.  We have no doubt that our cruise will be cancelled but HAL has asked those outside the current 30 days to be patient to allow them to clear this up.  Then, I expect them to do the next 30 and so on.  Normally I am not a patient person but this is not something anyone could have predicted and they are all handling it as best they can.  I bet if I was to call my PVP at Carnival, who has booked many cruises for me would not give me an immediate answer and I have a cruise scheduled with her in August.  Patience, lets give them a chance to handle the situation that is also devastating to them.

Have April 25th cruise and they still haven't cancelled as all the ports are closed this very frustrating as we have until March 31st to change but want them to cancel for better offers. When are they going to cancel already this is crazy.