P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Hello all! So much to catch up on.

I’ve only left the house twice this week - to pick my grandson up on Tuesday and to my local chemist this morning to collect my prescription before the Big Day.

Should be going to our son’s Christmas Day but we’re all going to do a LFT first so keeping everything crossed. John at work Boxing Day so I just want a nice day Saturday, I don’t ask for much!

Like Jane I’ve had the horrid cold that started with no voice and then I got the sore throat! Strange! Done a couple of tests, both negative.

Avril - your trip to your friend sounded joyous!

Graham - hope all goes well tomorrow,

Wishing you all a lovely Christmas 🎄 🎁 🍹 xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am going to microwave my sprouts because I find it easiest. It will be chaotic Saturday with one oven and a microwave and a turkey crown plus roast potatoes etc etc etc. I think I will part roast the potatoes and then do the turkey and finish off the spuds when the turkey is resting. There will also be time with the bird in the oven for a little drinkie or two. As for the cauliflower cheese, I am having that tonight

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I am going to microwave my sprouts because I find it easiest. It will be chaotic Saturday with one oven and a microwave and a turkey crown plus roast potatoes etc etc etc. I think I will part roast the potatoes and then do the turkey and finish off the spuds when the turkey is resting. There will also be time with the bird in the oven for a little drinkie or two. As for the cauliflower cheese, I am having that tonight

We do microwave our sprouts all the time, they keep their taste and don't go mushy. Same thing with leeks.

• Like 1

Husband is the cook on Xmas day, I am his assistant. We have 12 for dinner, eight adults, four children plus three dogs.

Having a three bird roast(guinea fowl, duck and turkey) and lamb, roast potatoes, parsnips with red onions and honey, sprouts with bacon lardons and hazelnuts and carrots. Pate or salmon terrine for starters and I don’t know about dessert as someone else is providing it. 
The diet starts in January after all the chocolates are finished.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas whatever you are doing.

Take care and stay safe

Michelle

• Like 15

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We don't put crosses in the bottom - I recall that there was a religous reason why that was done - as it can make the sprouts soggy.  We prefer to steam ours, as they tend not to fall to bits.  

I am one of those sad individuals who LOVES sprouts - all year round 😉

Used to cook them as someone has said above as my mum taught me ---- crossing the bottom etc etc.

We now use the microwave and they are perfect for us !

(Can't believe I am posting about sprouts - must be starting to chill out at last !)

A message to Graham to take care and that all goes well tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We do microwave our sprouts all the time, they keep their taste and don't go mushy. Same thing with leeks.

Snap 🙂

Having said that, our parents would have hated them with a passion ---- their generation preferred soft and mushy 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I had never considered microwaving sprouts, but I’m going to try it….!

We only gave it a go after we bought some sprouts in a bag from M&S and the instructions said to cook in the microwave. We haven't looked back but am sure that my mum and mum in law look down on us from above and shake their hears in horror 😉

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We only gave it a go after we bought some sprouts in a bag from M&S and the instructions said to cook in the microwave. We haven't looked back but am sure that my mum and mum in law look down on us from above and shake their hears in horror 😉

No sprouts for me thanks. All they do is take up space that could be used for more turkey, sausages, my special roast potatoes or even extra Bramley apple sauce for the turkey.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

No sprouts for me thanks. All they do is take up space that could be used for more turkey, sausages, my special roast potatoes or even extra Bramley apple sauce for the turkey.

Apple sauce for the turkey --- has your turkey got an identity crisis?

• Haha 6

The sprouts we eat today are nothing like back in the 60/70s , the bitterness has 

been grown out of the various sprouts as farming technology advanced . 

A sprout is not just for Christmas !:classic_smile: 

Don't you just love it when P&O put them on the menu ? :classic_love:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

The sprouts we eat today are nothing like back in the 60/70s , the bitterness has 

Anything is better than green beans .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Can we start a whole new debate about how they should be prepared, cooked and presented 😉

It would be a whole lot better than some of the stuff on here today. It would always get me when P&O did “silver service” and tried to give you brussel sprouts with fish. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
Spelling?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I love green beans 

So do I , had them with tonight's meal , nice they were too.

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

That's the best thing about Christmas you can have what you like :classic_smile:

My apple sauce will take it's place next to the Yorkshire pud which is next to the cranberry :classic_love:

It's Boxing day when our turkey could have a bit of identity as it competes with slices of beef 

and pork with chips and just about every pickle we can lay our hands on and the apple sauce 

and cranberry will be there again -Lovely :classic_love:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Of course apple sauce with turkey? Nice fresh Bramleys, cooked until soft without sugar or water and then stirred vigorously. Also goes well with the sausage and bacon as with pork.  

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Of course apple sauce with turkey? Nice fresh Bramleys, cooked until soft without sugar or water and then stirred vigorously. Also goes well with the sausage and bacon as with pork.  

I don't like it with pork tbh but am sure that Mr Presto will enjoy it as he tends to eat anything and everything ......

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think even sprouts would be better than P&Os green beans.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

As there’s just us for 25 Dec, we have decided to don the No 1s

So, Christmas dinner will be formal chez nous.  DJ & bow tie for him, probably black trousers & sparkly top for me

We always dress on Christmas day as if it was formal night on Iona. Speedos and flip-flops for me. PJ's and slippers for DW. Casual on boxing Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We always dress on Christmas day as if it was formal night on Iona. Speedos and flip-flops for me. PJ's and slippers for DW. Casual on boxing Day.

What happened to the water ship down floppy eared onesie ? :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

Dived out this morning to get a last few bits before my shopping delivery due this afternoon and then  going out again to opticians to collect my new glasses.  Got a phone call just after getting home with a couple of options to rearrange our Christmas plans as my brother isn't well (not covid).  Instead of going over to Mum's for dinner on Christmas Day we are having it here, so am now cooking for six and catering for thirteen on Boxing Day!

Graham, hope all goes well for tomorrow Graham.

In case I don't get back on here tomorrow

I wish you all a Happy Christmas.

merry-christmas-gifs-pictures-min.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1