P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning everyone, late morning I know.

I have been having problems logging into CC, doing likes etc so apologies if it looks like I have been ignoring everyone’s posts.

We have had grandchildren to stay last night(4 of them). We have just had “brunch “ and are setting off to see Pantomime in about half hour.

Hope you are all having a good day whatever you are doing

Michelle

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

@Adawn47 - a treat for you tonight.  BBC4 8pm.  It’s JVT giving the first of the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures 2021 - on virus, titled The Invisible Enemy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0012tzd

Probably something we could all benefit from watching?

I like to listen to him during covid briefings, I trusted him and he would tell the truth no matter how bad it was, his was the advice I followed. I don't however think I could sit through a lecture.

We'll  be watching Ski Jumping from Obersdorf, the first of the Four Hills Tournament that we'll  record this afternoon. Does anyone else watch Ski Jumping or am I the only sad one?

Avril

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I like to listen to him during covid briefings, I trusted him and he would tell the truth no matter how bad it was, his was the advice I followed. I don't however think I could sit through a lecture.

We'll  be watching Ski Jumping from Obersdorf, the first of the Four Hills Tournament that we'll  record this afternoon. Does anyone else watch Ski Jumping or am I the only sad one?

Avril

We enjoy watching ski jumping too 😊 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I like to watch ski jumping, but prefer downhill. The snowboarding in the Olympics was my new favourite.

• Like 2

I’ll prob catch up with JVT later.  I’m sure he’ll be good.  Remember the RI lectures are aimed at kids, not medical students, so it shouldn’t be beyond us ‘mere mortals’

I’ll be watching ny Xmas delight double bill of Only Connect followed by University Challenge, with old alumni rather than current students

No, I haven’t watching ski-jumping since David Vine on Sunday afternoons, way back last century.  Have you ever seen a jump course in real life?  Aaaarg!  They must be mad!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purplesea said:

Afternoon everyone.

It's sunny here but with a strong wind and fairly mild still. A lovely day for getting the washing dry, fingers crossed it stays on the line!!

Take care and stay safe.

Definitely a day for double-pegging! 

We’ve had a morning of very heavy showers and strong winds but are off out now, after an early lunch

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’ll prob catch up with JVT later.  I’m sure he’ll be good.  Remember the RI lectures are aimed at kids, not medical students, so it shouldn’t be beyond us ‘mere mortals’

I’ll be watching ny Xmas delight double bill of Only Connect followed by University Challenge, with old alumni rather than current students

No, I haven’t watching ski-jumping since David Vine on Sunday afternoons, way back last century.  Have you ever seen a jump course in real life?  Aaaarg!  They must be mad!

We saw them in Calgary with no snow. A bit like standing on the edge at Portland Bill. The bobsleigh runs are a bit scary as well.🤔

18 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Takes me back the Seventies and Eighties too! 

I remember standing at the top of the ski jump they used in the Innsbruck Olympics and it was really frightening. 

• Like 1

My son has 'lent' me his Amazon Prime sign on so that I can watch the Southampton v Tottenham match this afternoon, I'm not expecting much joy for the Saints though.

He has driven down this morning to Southampton (where he now lives) after spending the last 10 days with us up here in Cheshire, took him 3hr 20 mins as roads were quite clear. He is a season ticket holder so is actually going to the match.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I remember standing at the top of the ski jump they used in the Innsbruck Olympics and it was really frightening. 

Yes, we’ve been to the ski jump in Innsbruck too, many years ago, scarily high.

I have seen the Calgary jump in the distance from the Calgary Tower, would love to have got closer.

We enjoy watching any skiing other than cross country, Adelboden & Wengen are our favourites as we can spot places we’ve been to,

• Like 3

As of now no change in the weather in fact the rain got heavier.  Some joy though Mr Nasty has moved. He appears to have used "spare every expense .com movers" as 3 men with flat back lorries came at 8am and tossed all his things on there (that description was generous). He was nowhere to be seen. No sign of anyone moving in.

I am constantly berating myself for being so negative this Xmas but it is what it is. I will attempt to do better next year. Today the low riders are looking outside and giving thanks that the spirit has not moved me to over externalise them. 

Emma

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Not me

But I've been on a couple of ski holidays with Eddie the Eagle to Italy

He's a really lovely guy and great company

43 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

The Bergisil in Innsbruck at a hill size of 128 metre is not that big. The largest are in Norway and Poland, both are 240 metre. I couldn't even go to the top and look down, never mind slide down and jump off the end😱They are very brave young men.

Avril

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, Snow Hill said:

Entering day 3 of the foggy conditions, damp, still and cold out there this morning at 2C. 

Day not improved by news from down under of yet another England batting collapse, glad I didn’t get up early to watch it. 

May start reading one of my new books I had for Christmas, so will it Barack Obama, Dan Jones or Michel Barnier first up? 

But first a search for new knobs for bathroom door after the spring went in current ones this morning, getting them to match others will be the biggest challenge. 

You can get replacement springs on Amazon for 5 or 6 quid a pack.Worth a look as I think they are pretty universal.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

The Bergisil in Innsbruck at a hill size of 128 metre is not that big. The largest are in Norway and Poland, both are 240 metre. I couldn't even go to the top and look down, never mind slide down and jump off the end😱They are very brave young men.

Avril

I remember the guide pointing out the cemetery in the distance, and we all shuddered! 

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

With skiers in the family, (not me) we tend to watch skiing, more into downhill & slalom, but the ski cross and snowboard cross are great to watch, they are races between 4 to 6 skiers all starting at same time, absolute madness but great fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

You can get replacement springs on Amazon for 5 or 6 quid a pack.Worth a look as I think they are pretty universal.

Did look at them, but decided to go for complete replacement as knobs are tarnished on the bathroom side, so picking a set up from Screwfix this week sometime, just waiting for them to come in. 

Been a better day here after the torrential rain around 7 this morning, we had some sunshine for about 30 mins, first time seen the sun for a week. We were going to go for a walk but Amazon parcel didn’t arrive until 3.30, so will try tomorrow. 

LFT tested today as a member of family has gone down with Covid, was due to get booster Thursday and we saw here briefly last Thursday. Other family members waiting for results of post holiday PCRs, so on tenterhooks although LFTs say negative. 

Spent a couple of hours getting my Self Assessment ready for submission this week, all receipts and invoices found, that’s a first, usually one goes astray. 

I spent from 8am to 2:30pm at the vaccine hub, I should have stayed until 5:30pm but by 2:30 I was really fed-up with the attitude of people coming in.  For some reason we had loads of people who seemed to think that we are being awkward when we are saying that we only have Moderna for the boosters, the final straw was when I asked for a Pfizer to be drawn up for 16 year old because under 17s can't have Moderna and an old man overheard and shouted at me that I was a liar because I had tl?d him that he could only have Moderna.  I am now seriously considering giving up the volunteering, I don't think that this sort of abuse is worth it even though most people are polite.  

• Like 14