P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, bobstheboy said:

Thanks Brian

Didn't mean to stop there.

At my age it is extremely unlikely my mother or father are alive, but siblings, probably. I just wondered how accurate the DNA tracing would be and the chances of a near relative on the data base will be. I wasn't bothered about investigating my background but now I am getting nearer the end of my life, I am. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

At my age it is extremely unlikely my mother or father are alive, but siblings, probably. I just wondered how accurate the DNA tracing would be and the chances of a near relative on the data base will be. I wasn't bothered about investigating my background but now I am getting nearer the end of my life, I am. 

I went with Find My Past DNA, and I have 35 pages of matches.

The closest is a second to third cousin. I made contact with her, and it turns out she  is  the daughter of my second cousin (who I didn't previously know) but related via a great uncle that I knew well. We had lots of shared memories via my nan and her grandfather, so I felt that the match was accurate.

I also contacted someone who was a second -to fourth cousin.  I picked him, as he had a Scottish name. I Googled him, and found out that he was from the area that my Scottish great grandmother came from. We were able to establish a link between my Great grandmother and his great great grandfather. He helped me quite a lot with my Scottish research.

I did try contacting a couple of other close matches, but we were unable to work out what our link was.  

I think it can work, but it helps to know quite a bit about your family history to start off with. 

• Like 2

Well, I have taken a leap of faith, and have paid for my May cruise  on Queen Victoria.

It's a British Isles cruise, so the prospect on being offloaded aboard is removed, so we felt a bit happier about paying up. 

Of course, a lot can happen between now and May, but we will have to roll with it now that we've paid 

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Cheers Bob,might give that a go myself,who's going first lol.With my luck plod will knock on the door telling me my GG Grandad was Jack the ripper.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Me too.  Maybe their customers are defecting to Find My Past for the 1921 census.

I have had one to, I have been a Ancestry subscriber for many years, funny they never offer any deals when you are just about to, I get an automatic 15% loyalty discount with FindmyPast on renewal.

Had a estimate from carpenter last week for complete replacement of decking and substructure, plus 2 others, one twice the price of the other 2, don’t think he wanted the job.

I agreed the estimate with carpenter yesterday he has come back this afternoon to say each decking plank has risen by £5 a plank since last Tuesday when he quoted, so an increase of £100 on the price.

All the quotes said materials prices are subjected to fluctuations and the actual price will that at time of purchase. The same decking planks 2 years ago were £9 cheaper, I checked the website on the Wayback Machine. 

• Like 1

Feeling intrepid today had to set sail for Kings Lynn. Never been there but found my friends in Tuesday Market OK and didn't get lost once ---result. The hotel was fine and i noted a wetherspoons just a fraction away. 

Weather very grey so glad I had somewhere to go. Even better I had to get my house revalued after all the renovations and that was a total surprise when it landed on the mat today. Higher insurance but still.

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Had a estimate from carpenter last week for complete replacement of decking and substructure, plus 2 others, one twice the price of the other 2, don’t think he wanted the job.

I agreed the estimate with carpenter yesterday he has come back this afternoon to say each decking plank has risen by £5 a plank since last Tuesday when he quoted, so an increase of £100 on the price.

All the quotes said materials prices are subjected to fluctuations and the actual price will that at time of purchase. The same decking planks 2 years ago were £9 cheaper, I checked the website on the Wayback Machine. 

Is this wood or the all singing dancing plastic stuff.

22 hours ago, ann141 said:

Sorry to hear your bad news.We just took a one way included coach transfer home from Southampton because we wanted to spend the night before the cruise in Southampton

Thanks for your feedback re coach. Exactly the same situation as we always want to be in any port at least 1 night before sailing (even Liverpool which is only 35 miles from us!) so that’s the plan for Southampton. Unfortunately finding it extremely difficult to get hold of them in order to book. 

Edited by peteukmcr

On 1/24/2022 at 7:46 PM, peteukmcr said:

Glad to see the thread is still here. I did intend to post more over the weekend but we received tragic news on Saturday that Patrick’s 24 year old niece died. Think we’re still in shock, it happened so fast. Makes you put things into perspective. I’d resigned from my job on Friday too as I’m leaving the travel trade, but the excitement of that has been put in the background at the moment. 

I have a question for you P&O experts. Anyone who has had complimentary coach transfers included in the fare, have you just taken a one-way transfer?

What a dreadful shock for you both. Sincere condolences.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

I can confirm this. Got my deck replaced in 2019 with the new plastic decking.

Wonderful colours to choose from, not slippery at all and looks great when entertaining.

wise choice.

Cheers guys,the cheques are in the post,courtesy of Brians Plastic Decking Ltd.

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We got the plastic about 3 years ago.  Expensive, but as you say lasts.

It is expensive and the price of it has also risen, the equivalent lengths of composite decking are between £30 & £35 each and that’s the cheaper versions. 

17 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Well, I have taken a leap of faith, and have paid for my May cruise  on Queen Victoria.

It's a British Isles cruise, so the prospect on being offloaded aboard is removed, so we felt a bit happier about paying up. 

Of course, a lot can happen between now and May, but we will have to roll with it now that we've paid 

Should be good, hope you enjoy it.

My 3 nighter to Belgium over Easter on Britannia has been paid now - if I get thrown off at least I can get the train home 😃

• Like 3

Well it’s a bit grey here to day and still cold but I’m not venturing out still resting my knee from my fall on 1 st jan ; waiting for the fitters to arrive with my replacement wardrobe glass that was cracked on delivery back in November, been packing a little for my upcoming cruise on 12th feb , not doing any excursions on that trip cause it’s so unexpected in Belgium, Amsterdam, etc , so just choosing excursions for the canaries trip , haven’t got anything for Madeira or Tenerife so any suggestions to do by ourselves is welcome, we will be keeping ourselves to ourselves on both cruises and keeping distance don’t want no off loading 😷🥴

• Like 2

Nice and sunny here after 3 dull overcast days, a bit less cold but still only 5c but compared to what winter could throw at us it's ok.

No connection to Scotland but had our Burns Night in a Box last night from a well known German supermarket consisting of haggis, neaps, tatties and whiskey sauce. Was very good especially as all for under £4, could have done with a bit more sauce though.

I got our pressure washer working properly yesterday (not pulsing) so plan to clean the much neglected and dirty block paving today.

24kg frozen blackcurrants and gooseberries just arrived, all the way from Herefordshire. Good price, excellent quality, all tucked away in the freezer.

Amazing what you can buy online now. Had no idea you could get frozen stuff.  Haven’t been inside a shop since March 2020, but the range of produce we can get delivered beyond normal supermarket stuff is incredible. Cornish Gouda takes some beating, along with Lincolnshire Poacher cheese - all delivered to the door.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

choosing excursions for the canaries trip , haven’t got anything for Madeira or Tenerife so any suggestions to do by ourselves is welcome, we will be keeping ourselves to ourselves on both cruises and keeping distance don’t want no off loading 😷🥴

In the past when in Madeira doing our own thing we have done the cable car but Mrs K wasn't 

that enthusiastic about being pushed down a hill in an old settee part of the way to an awaiting

taxi that will charge you the rest of the way down ,unless you like walking down steep hills .:classic_unsure:

We got the Red "Hop On -Hop Off"  open air bus which if the weather is nice then it makes for 

a nice trip with wonderful views . You do get a set of ear phones to listen to an automated 

commentary that is short of useless ,so we just admired the views and for the price ,it wasn't

that bad really. With the money we saved we had a light meal on the Beatles ship but that 

has now departed and sailed away . If we ever get back we would like to hire a Tuk-Tuk 

and sit back and see the sites that way .The video below was done by the woman who's

hubby does talks onboard ships    https://youtu.be/wo0sqeT6r6Q   Sounds a good 

option for the money :classic_smile: Take care and hope your knee gets better .:classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1