P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

27 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We don't keep mince pies just for Christmas either.

I went round to see Mum the other day and she gave me a batch of apples from her tree. I also have a lot of pears, so a baking and freezing session is up and coming as there are so many.

Meeting a couple of friends for coffee later whom I haven't seen for a few months, so will be good to have a catch up. 

Our neighbours Apple trees have loads of fruit, but they very small compared with last year and according to my neighbour dry & tasteless, the lack of any rain is the probable cause. We had some cooking apples from my in-laws tree, we decided to bake them stuffed with our homemade mincemeat, the apples collapsed to mush and we ended up with a a mess of purée and mincemeat, we removed the tough skins and ate it with Greek yogurt. 

The remaining apples have been chopped and put in hot bin composter. 

18 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Morning, I was woken at 2.30 am with a text telling me I needed to pay £1.49 for my package to be delivered 😡 seem to have started getting quite a few of those recently & in the middle of the night, normally put the phone on silent but forgot. So I’m grumpier than normal this morning 😚
Agree have home made mince pies in the freezer & a few jars of my mincemeat in the cupboard, have to get some out as I’m always disappointed with bought ones they never have nuts in,  I’ve sent himself to work with the one he bought made with palm oil & marg pastry too 😱

So today’s question clotted cream or double with mine? 

I think you will find that it is a scam. They are trying to get you to tell them your bank details in order to pay the £1.49 that you don’t owe for a package that does not exist. Once they have your details, they can use them to take money from your account. 

Clotted cream every time for me.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Morning, I was woken at 2.30 am with a text telling me I needed to pay £1.49 for my package to be delivered 😡 seem to have started getting quite a few of those recently & in the middle of the night, normally put the phone on silent but forgot. So I’m grumpier than normal this morning 😚

As Pete said fake !   Have you tried going into your phones settings and search find ..

Do Not Disturb . I have mine set 11pm to 7am also to allow texts and calls from which 

number to exclude. At least you would get a good nights kip without worrying have I put 

my phone on silent for the night or remembering to take it off again .

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I am a very recent convert to online banking. It was a case of almost being forced into it with all my local branches having closed and not being able to ask a simple question to a human on the phone.

However, I now love it and actually feel more secure with being to check the balance daily and being alerted if money is withdrawn.

As for a cheque book I use it occasionally to send a monetary gift or donation.

Some banks have dedicated phone numbers (and where you speak to an actual person) for the over 60s who may struggle with online systems - and I have that number on speed dial should I require it!

I am the same Gill.

I also like the fact I can bank a cheque online where you scan a cheque you receive which saves going into a branch to deposit the cheque.

• Like 3

Just now, kalos said:

As Pete said fake !   Have you tried going into your phones settings and search find ..

Do Not Disturb . I have mine set 11pm to 7am also to allow texts and calls from which 

number to exclude. At least you would get a good nights kip without worrying have I put 

my phone on silent for the night or remembering to take it off again .

Yes, don’t put it on do not disturb just in case something happens to Mum or ds when he goes back to uni, I know it’ll vibrate still but not ring as such. I keep excluding numbers same as on the home phone which hardly rings now if ever actually. 

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

Agree have home made mince pies in the freezer & a few jars of my mincemeat in the cupboard, have to get some out as I’m always disappointed with bought ones they never have nuts in,  I’ve sent himself to work with the one he bought made with palm oil & marg pastry too 😱

When in shops, I like Brandy Cream or Brandy Butter with my mince pies 🎄

57 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been trying to decide what to wear to my cousin's funeral this afternoon.  She left instructions that everyone has to wear colourful clothes because she always like bright colours.  She knew that I would have a problem because she always teased me about my "boring clothes".  She has asked that I and another cousin speak at the funeral, after 68 years there are so many memories and her husband has asked that we try to include some of the funnier moments that we shared.

Have you got a bright scarf you could wear maybe? Hope all goes ok & enjoy her memory, Thinking of you. X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been trying to decide what to wear to my cousin's funeral this afternoon.  She left instructions that everyone has to wear colourful clothes because she always like bright colours.  She knew that I would have a problem because she always teased me about my "boring clothes".  She has asked that I and another cousin speak at the funeral, after 68 years there are so many memories and her husband has asked that we try to include some of the funnier moments that we shared.

I hope it all goes well this afternoon Josy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

When in shops, I like Brandy Cream or Brandy Butter with my mince pies 🎄

My sister loves brandy butter, stems from living in Keswick I think, I’m not keen on brandy apart from a splash in a cake/ mincemeat, have grown to like a wee dram of bonnie prince Charlie though, stemming from watching Outlander I think, getting back to my Scottish roots.

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

I used to get quite a few of those texts too🤬. I blocked the numbers when they came in and   haven't have any for some time now.😊

I make my own mincemeat too. No candid peel, (replaced with  chopped dried apricots), nuts and glace cherries. There's always a jar or two sitting in the pantry😋

Double cream would be my choice.

Avril

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Definitely a scam but I’m sure someone would easily fall for them. 

Which is another reason why having a thread such as this is important because it allows us to highlight such a scam more widely to save victims from a difficult situation. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

My sister loves brandy butter, stems from living in Keswick I think, I’m not keen on brandy apart from a splash in a cake/ mincemeat, have grown to like a wee dram of bonnie prince Charlie though, stemming from watching Outlander I think, getting back to my Scottish roots.

Another cumbrian delight is rum butter made with dark rum. could not get enough of as a child 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Looking at the rapid fall in exchange rate between the £ & $ over the last week, it’s fortunate that P&O price there on board purchases in £s, it’s going to be more expensive for those who book with lines who price in $s. Current Tourist Exchange Rate is between £1.09 and £1.12 to the $

And will probably drop further !

Thank goodness for the Princess Plus package !

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I am the same Gill.

I also like the fact I can bank a cheque online where you scan a cheque you receive which saves going into a branch to deposit the cheque.

We receive very few cheques nowadays, but when we do I use the bank paying in envelopes from the post office, which I have found very easy and fault free.

• Like 1