P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Awful day here foggy all day.  I was meeting one of my friends for lunch and had a devil of a job getting out of the drive because someone had decided that today was a good day to install new cable along the street in preparation for super fast Internet which no-one seems to want.  We live at the end of a cul-de-sac so when 2 lorries turned up and put barriers all along stopping anyone getting out of their drive it was a problem.  It took 15 minutes to get out because they had to put covers over the trench that they had dug to lay the cables in, DH then got the car out for me because I was too nervous about hitting something because it was such a tight passage between their vans and lorry.  When I  came home I left the car on the main road and sent DH to get it back for me.  The workmen will ge back to finish the cabling tomorrow but fortunately I have nowhere to go.

Well if you don’t want superfast internet, send them to install it around here! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

To get the internet you have to let them run another cable from the one that they are installing in the street to your house.  My niece has it but they have had to have their drive relaid she says that her teenagers like it because apparently playing games on their Ipads is much better now.  I suppose it depends what you use your internet for.  We use ours for googling, doing on-line shopping etc. but nothing that requires super quick access.

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

To get the internet you have to let them run another cable from the one that they are installing in the street to your house.  My niece has it but they have had to have their drive relaid she says that her teenagers like it because apparently playing games on their Ipads is much better now.  I suppose it depends what you use your internet for.  We use ours for googling, doing on-line shopping etc. but nothing that requires super quick access.

Our valley has superfast and it was a godsend during lockdown with 3 of us working from home, but several other valleys don’t and it leaves people at a huge disadvantage. I just want a level playing field for all. Regardless of gaming, etc, for business use and students, a fast and reliable connection is essential. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Our valley has superfast and it was a godsend during lockdown with 3 of us working from home, but several other valleys don’t and it leaves people at a huge disadvantage. I just want a level playing field for all. Regardless of gaming, etc, for business use and students, a fast and reliable connection is essential. 

We have had super fast broadband for some time as we have Cable connection, got a free upgrade to ultra fast broadband last year when my contract was up for renewal, as I run a small business from home reliable fast broadband is needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We do have superfast broadband but were still unable to get a buffer free UHD picture on iplayer for tonight's footie. So had to watch it in the BBCs pathetic version of HD.

Morning all.

Looks like a bright sunny day for us today and looks a though it will be staying that way for the next few days☺️

Need to take a trip out to Truro today, as I have run out of cotton and need some buttons for the shirt I'm sewing and one or two other bits while I'm up there. Also need to take the menu to the pub to let them know what everyone has chosen for the meal that is booked there for the family and call in at Mum's too.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Awful day here foggy all day.  I was meeting one of my friends for lunch and had a devil of a job getting out of the drive because someone had decided that today was a good day to install new cable along the street in preparation for super fast Internet which no-one seems to want.  We live at the end of a cul-de-sac so when 2 lorries turned up and put barriers all along stopping anyone getting out of their drive it was a problem.  It took 15 minutes to get out because they had to put covers over the trench that they had dug to lay the cables in, DH then got the car out for me because I was too nervous about hitting something because it was such a tight passage between their vans and lorry.  When I  came home I left the car on the main road and sent DH to get it back for me.  The workmen will ge back to finish the cabling tomorrow but fortunately I have nowhere to go.

For a change here on the Cheshire plain we didn’t have fog yesterday just low cloud and dull all day. Temperature only got up to 6 so it will be interesting what the daily gas bill will be in these colder conditions, it has already been averaging about £6 a day the past few weeks, £10 including electricity.

We had the fibre laying people come around our area a year ago and they made a right mess of some peoples lawns (no pavements on our estate) but the network is still not active. We already get 60 to 65 mbs through normal fibre to cabinet broadband so we already are fast enough.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all.

Looks like a bright sunny day for us today and looks a though it will be staying that way for the next few days☺️

Need to take a trip out to Truro today, as I have run out of cotton and need some buttons for the shirt I'm sewing and one or two other bits while I'm up there. Also need to take the menu to the pub to let them know what everyone has chosen for the meal that is booked there for the family and call in at Mum's too.

Same for me today, just a bit of shopping. Picking my mum up soon then going into Lytham. Got a new phone yesterday so I need a new screen protector and case.

Our spaniel has been out in the garden eating grass so had consequently been sick. Why are they always sick on the rug and not the wood floor?? Just had a struggle getting off the floor after cleaning the rug. No fun getting older, I am def not enjoying it especially when my foot isn’t better yet.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7

I know many of your have bought air fryers, Just saw this warning on Facebook. 

... i wanted to tell everyone in my last post but I forgot to tell you😔 my minds not working right yet. But, what caused this was our air fryer. We left it plugged in and when the electric came back on it surged through it. We even had it plugged into a special outlet for protection- it failed😢 anyway what i wanted to tell you was the fire inspector said this was the 6th air fryer fires he’s had to do, they (firefighters) are trying to get air fryer companies looked into because of all the fires. So please unplug your air fryers when not in use🙏🏻

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

11 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I know many of your have bought air fryers, Just saw this warning on Facebook. 

... i wanted to tell everyone in my last post but I forgot to tell you😔 my minds not working right yet. But, what caused this was our air fryer. We left it plugged in and when the electric came back on it surged through it. We even had it plugged into a special outlet for protection- it failed😢 anyway what i wanted to tell you was the fire inspector said this was the 6th air fryer fires he’s had to do, they (firefighters) are trying to get air fryer companies looked into because of all the fires. So please unplug your air fryers when not in use🙏🏻

That’s interesting - and concerning. There are an awful lot of cheap imported air fryers coming in since they became a ‘thing’. I wonder whether that’s the main cause, rather than the air fryers themselves. Amazon and eBay do sell an awful lot of imported Chinese junk with ‘brand’ names that look more like alphabet spaghetti than words.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s interesting - and concerning. There are an awful lot of cheap imported air fryers coming in since they became a ‘thing’. I wonder whether that’s the main cause, rather than the air fryers themselves. Amazon and eBay do sell an awful lot of imported Chinese junk with ‘brand’ names that look more like alphabet spaghetti than words.

A timely reminder to test and check your fire alarms .

If it's not a built in one check on the back for date as they should be replaced if over ten years old.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

A timely reminder to test and check your fire alarms .

If it's not a built in one check on the back for date as they should be replaced if over ten years old.

We test the smoke alarm every week. Well it tests itself when I do the cooking. A very timely warning to test them. As Harry said, some dodgy old stuff out there. We upgraded our security with a environmentally friendly system. Not cheap as our burglar Llama need some serious maintenance.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

I will pass this information about Air fryers on to my daughter. She always switches it off at the plug but leaves it in. You can’t be too careful.

I will pass it onto my daughter too, she uses hers every day so I bet she doesn’t un-plug it 

Michelle

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We test the smoke alarm every week. Well it tests itself when I do the cooking. A very timely warning to test them. As Harry said, some dodgy old stuff out there. We upgraded our security with a environmentally friendly system. Not cheap as our burglar Llama need some serious maintenance.

We've also been upgrading... some windows, security lights but haven't gone as far as seeking religious assistance... not sure if your burglar is South American animal or a Tibetan Holy man or indeed your defence against burglars is one or the other... answers on a postcard pleased to... soconfused.com 

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

I'd just send it alpacing.

• Haha 6

Hi all,just back from Bluewater.Bus from our town to Lakeside and half hour bus ride across Dartford crossing courtesy of bus pass.2 new shirts in John Lewis,Hayes and Bonner Jermin st.Tailored,614177020_IMG_20221130_152845636964.thumb.jpg.db3482c4c5ebcdf97588f594b5cbed20.jpg 2 for 80 quid.Never worn long sleeves for a few years.OK for our Warner stay over Christmas.

• Like 7

The first lot of my cheeses for my cheese advent Callander have just been delivered.

Stowed away in the cheese fridge, for those not in the know my beloved husband bought me a separate fridge for my “exceptionally smelly” cheeses however it contains more wine and beer than cheese for much of the year. Guess who enjoys that the most?

We have also brought down the decorations from the attic to go up tomorrow. Advent started officially on Sunday so 1 December is fine.

A blessed Christmas season to one and all.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,just back from Bluewater.Bus from our town to Lakeside and half hour bus ride across Dartford crossing courtesy of bus pass.2 new shirts in John Lewis,Hayes and Bonner Jermin st.Tailored,614177020_IMG_20221130_152845636964.thumb.jpg.db3482c4c5ebcdf97588f594b5cbed20.jpg 2 for 80 quid.Never worn long sleeves for a few years.OK for our Warner stay over Christmas.

Isn't that the equivalent of a full tuxedo at Warners?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We go for well known brands as they are usually well tested, our Foodi Air Fryer is from Ninja Shark, plus it’s always unplugged once we finish using it. 

The same is happening on Amazon with the Heated Clothes Airers lots of odd sounding brands on Amazon with no reviews, the question is how safe are they. It must be a nightmare for The underfunded trading standards teams to keep in top of these electrical imports to ensure they are safe.

The recalls page of the CTSI is full of these type of products

https://www.tradingstandards.uk/consumer-help/product-recalls-and-safety-notices/

21 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

If the contractors are called City Fibre - they are part of BT.  They are working their way around Leicestershire - causing chaos along the way.  They have been along every road in our village.  They don't connect to the individual properties but to the BT installations - street boxes, underground chambers and telegraph poles.  We weren't given any advance warning of the work and haven't received any marketing info as to the cost, etc.

Time will tell!

• Like 1