P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Stay  safe while you watch Mrs K going  to the dustbin check the birds water.  We use a bird bath for that. Your lucky, I defrosted the car yesterday and the blooming thing has frosted up again this morning.

Don't worry Zap I'm on supervisory duties this morning ,she's back in now and seems ok , 

she must be as she has just made me a couple of slices of toast and a cuppa .😉

So glad we did everything yesterday as you say the car is a block of ice !

Spare a thought for those cyclists in this weather ? I once saw one get knocked off his bike

by a road gritting truck ,he was really mad .."YOU IDIOT " he snarled through his gritted teeth 😉 

• Haha 16

Talking supermarket delivery substitutions, I was told a week or two ago by my driver that my lot get most of their stuff delivered on a Tuesday, so a Wednesday order is likely to be complete (which mine almost always is).  Maybe a tip for others?  May not apply to other supermarkets except in small towns.

Holidaying  in France years ago, my small daughter outside the 'boucherie chevaline' wondered why - we had to say it was that some horses eat meat.  I don't  think she  believed us even then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Enjoy Madeira and the Canaries - I am not at all envious!  🤢🥶

Absolutely! Just finishing breakfast sat in the sun. 

Saw the day trippers from a couple of cruise ships arrive yesterday, and then disappear for their ‘4pm all on-board’ and missing the fabulous Christmas lights that put the UK to shame.

I am sure there are logistical reasons, but it seems such a pity that at this time of year they don’t change the schedule for an early evening departure.

Tonight me and my little mobility scooter are off  with the grown up grandkids to the Mamma Mia Taverna Party at the O2.. four course meal, and loads of singing and dancing and other things.  Someone on here has been and said was fabulous.

My daughter and her husband are coming as well, and my daughter has an Abba outfit, so we will disown her on arrival🤣

Its for my recent horrible big 0 birthday.  It's outrageously expensive, especially with an overnight stay for 8 of us, but hopefully it will be hilarious as it usually is when going out with them..they will try  to get me tipsy but haven't succeeded yet.  We oldies are tough.  (I hope I haven't temped fate, saying it will be great so forget I said it)

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Bit random this one, but just curious to know whether there any other saddos like me still using Microsoft Money? Been using it since 1998, through numerous versions of Windows from 95 to 10, and it’s been faultless as a financial record. Anyone remember it? Or still using it? 

No, I just use spreadsheets. Hadn’t even heard it it.

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

No, I just use spreadsheets. Hadn’t even heard it it.

Very few have, I imagine, though in this family it’s become a bit of a joke. I found, and still find, it invaluable in tracking personal finances, and persuaded both children to use it too as an excellent budgetary aid. Our son still uses it but our daughter gave it up after a few months. Mine goes back to 1998 when finances were tight after daughter went to university. It became essential to help avoid overdrafts, and the habit stuck.  Son and I both dread the inevitable day when it will cease to run after a Windows update.

It’s a fancy front end to what’s essentially a complex spreadsheet containing every bank account and financial asset or liability you choose to put into it. Works extremely well, and very versatile in its interrogation capabilities. Quite a few online aficionados, who all freak and fret on every major Windows update!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Tonight me and my little mobility scooter are off  with the grown up grandkids to the Mamma Mia Taverna Party at the O2.. four course meal, and loads of singing and dancing and other things.  Someone on here has been and said was fabulous.

My daughter and her husband are coming as well, and my daughter has an Abba outfit, so we will disown her on arrival🤣

Its for my recent horrible big 0 birthday.  It's outrageously expensive, especially with an overnight stay for 8 of us, but hopefully it will be hilarious as it usually is when going out with them..they will try  to get me tipsy but haven't succeeded yet.  We oldies are tough.  (I hope I haven't temped fate, saying it will be great so forget I said it)

You will have a fabulous time!! We went in April for the second time, I have never been to anything like it. We were lucky enough to have a table right by the fountain. 
Make sure they know when you arrive you are on a scooter and you are usually put in a different queue to get in

Michelle

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Got to research 1985 Diethylene Glycol to have any hint of a possible answer. Or alternatively speak to a "Simpsons mastermind"...  that's the cryptic clue for today.

Yeah,I remember that scandal.Joking aside I'm not a great lover of Reisling although as a young beginner in the 70s it was the brown ale of wines,lol.We had friends we stayed with just outside Strasbourg in the late 80s and the Alsace Reisling wines on the Route de vin were a lot better than the German variations.JMO I,m a Pinot Grigio Rose man or voddie and coke nowadays.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, July morning said:

Brian1, have you tried cranberry juice with your voddie ? When at home give it a try goes down very easily 😂 our daughter made me try it!

You mean the Ocean Spray type drink.My mrs has that with her breakfast but I find it bitter.I used to think cranberry juice was from squeezed berries but I don't think it is.Cheers,Brian.

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You mean the Ocean Spray type drink.My mrs has that with her breakfast but I find it bitter.I used to think cranberry juice was from squeezed berries but I don't think it is.Cheers,Brian.

I hasten to add my mrs doesn't have voddie in it for breakfast,lol.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Bit random this one, but just curious to know whether there any other saddos like me still using Microsoft Money? Been using it since 1998, through numerous versions of Windows from 95 to 10, and it’s been faultless as a financial record. Anyone remember it? Or still using it? 

I have been using it for around 20 years and still using it. It is an excellent program for keeping track of accounts and investments.

If anyone knows of an up to date program that does everything that Money does I would like to know.

Brian

7 minutes ago, BrianI said:

I have been using it for around 20 years and still using it. It is an excellent program for keeping track of accounts and investments.

If anyone knows of an up to date program that does everything that Money does I would like to know.

Brian

Goodness - someone else!  It’s not exactly the sort of thing that crops up in everyday conversation, but those using it tend to be fanatical about it in online forums.

You might recall the occasional scare when it stopped working after an update, but nobody ever seemed to come up with a replacement that does what MM does so well.

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Goodness - someone else!  It’s not exactly the sort of thing that crops up in everyday conversation, but those using it tend to be fanatical about it in online forums.

You might recall the occasional scare when it stopped working after an update, but nobody ever seemed to come up with a replacement that does what MM does so well.

My Nigerian Prince friend keeps track of my investments for me. They must be doing OK as I haven't heard much from him recently.😉

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very few have, I imagine, though in this family it’s become a bit of a joke. I found, and still find, it invaluable in tracking personal finances, and persuaded both children to use it too as an excellent budgetary aid. Our son still uses it but our daughter gave it up after a few months. Mine goes back to 1998 when finances were tight after daughter went to university. It became essential to help avoid overdrafts, and the habit stuck.  Son and I both dread the inevitable day when it will cease to run after a Windows update.

It’s a fancy front end to what’s essentially a complex spreadsheet containing every bank account and financial asset or liability you choose to put into it. Works extremely well, and very versatile in its interrogation capabilities. Quite a few online aficionados, who all freak and fret on every major Windows update!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

I'm  still using the old fashioned method of account book and pen, although I have stepped into the modern world now and use a calculator.

Avril

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm  still using the old fashioned method of account book and pen, although I have stepped into the modern world now and use a calculator.

Avril

Used to do exactly the same, Avril - ever since we were first married.  Every penny mattered, and we allowed ourselves only so much a week for housekeeping, and so much a week each for 'spends'.  £4.25 a week for housekeeping in the early 70s but we ate well enough, admittedly largely on cheese, eggs and baked beans. Cheese on toast was good, egg on cheese on toast better, and egg on beans on toast, with beans, a real treat. Can of Sainsbury's minced beef formed the basis of an excellent Sunday lunch.

Once you've started down that route it's difficult to stop, particularly as the children grow up and there's only one income!  The switch to Microsoft Money just simplified it, but the technique's the same - tight control of outgoings to match the income.  We've still got all the old account books!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Used to do exactly the same, Avril - ever since we were first married.  Every penny mattered, and we allowed ourselves only so much a week for housekeeping, and so much a week each for 'spends'.  £4.25 a week for housekeeping in the early 70s but we ate well enough, admittedly largely on cheese, eggs and baked beans. Cheese on toast was good, egg on cheese on toast better, and egg on beans on toast, with beans, a real treat. Can of Sainsbury's minced beef formed the basis of an excellent Sunday lunch.

Once you've started down that route it's difficult to stop, particularly as the children grow up and there's only one income!  The switch to Microsoft Money just simplified it, but the technique's the same - tight control of outgoings to match the income.  We've still got all the old account books!

I've been working that way since we were first married in 1965, and put in charge of all the finances. I didn't have a computer until 2008, and although my grandson tried to show me numerous times how to do spreadsheets etc, I still felt more confident doing it the old way. Keeps the brain active too working out the figures, but I now double check on the calculator😉

Avril

• Like 4