P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We will never know for sure if the Lady was being rude and racial. I think she was asking her about her heritage, being black and dressed in African clothes. She was just very clumsy verbally and some do get upset easily.

Who knows ?

You may be right Bob, people seem to read what they want into everything that is said now, or the media tweak it accordingly. We had a lady on our dinner table from dahn souff who made the comment that there were lots of northern people on the cruise, which was true and she was just stating a fact, however a couple from Newcastle thought she was being snobby. I know I can be very clumsy verbally and often say the first thing that comes to mind which doesn't always suit everyones taste but hey ho I get over it.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is horrible for everyone to have to worry so much about medical care; surely Rishi Sunak and co. can't let this go on much longer without agreeing to try to compromise on pay - can't help feeling that this is the only strike which truly matters to everyone to be solved asap.   I feel  nervous, living on my own, about the possibility of falling over at home, unable to get up and unable to get help.  And the lack of antibiotics is awful - should not be necessary.

I hope none of us desperately needs medical help until this has been sorted.

Unfortunately it’s been bad for a while. I take triage calls for respiratory nurses and often they are calling us because they can’t get any joy from their GP’s.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We will never know for sure if the Lady was being rude and racial. I think she was asking her about her heritage, being black and dressed in African clothes. She was just very clumsy verbally and some do get upset easily.

Who knows ?

Perhaps the guest could have changed the subject slightly and asked Lady H what her experience was of being married to someone from an immigrant family that had gained their wealth from violence. 

Anyway, glorious day here sat in the 23c sunshine with a glass of something refreshing. Iona’s passengers arriving tomorrow are looking forward to a better day than the overcast day that Acura had yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is horrible for everyone to have to worry so much about medical care; surely Rishi Sunak and co. can't let this go on much longer without agreeing to try to compromise on pay - can't help feeling that this is the only strike which truly matters to everyone to be solved asap.   I feel  nervous, living on my own, about the possibility of falling over at home, unable to get up and unable to get help.  And the lack of antibiotics is awful - should not be necessary.

I hope none of us desperately needs medical help until this has been sorted.

I really do sympathise, particularly as you live on your own. Do you keep a mobile with you at all times, just in case, or even a MedicAlert type device? Almost certainly you’d never need to use it, but it might provide some personal reassurance. I think the antibiotic problems are primarily with those needed for children.

You always sound very sensible and level headed, so maybe no climbing 50 foot ladders to check the roof tiles while the strikes are on?

Matthew Parris suggested the other day that the government should hold out on the railwaymen, who are hardly underpaid for what they do and can fairly easily be replaced, but give way on the health services, where the pay is poor and it’s very difficult to recruit. Sounds a sensible proposition. He’s usually on the mark. Sadly, we’re paying the price now for years of neglect, and expecting medical NHS staff to work for a pittance, even having to pay for their own training.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Not loyalty at all zap. Just reading and listening with an open mind.  It's just basic commonsense. Why do you think it was necessary to go with a recording device?

It's a genuine question Zap, I don't want to argue with you , I'm just interested 😊

Avril

Sorry Avril, not playing this game anymore. To my mind, racism is indefensible. 

• Like 3

Harry - thank you.  I have a Lifeline, and always wear it at home - suggested by my children.  Hate the idea, but it is a very good one.  Also, as I think I have said before, send a quick email to children when I wake up  (except for occasionally forgetting and being told off)   And in any case, I am very aware of many many people worse off than me, regarding their health and finances.  I am not rich, pay a little basic income tax, but own my small home and can afford to keep warm and eat, which probably applies to all on this forum. And have a couple of neighbours who are willing to answer an emergency call, though being a bit proud try not to . I have not been up a ladder for a few years now, and promise not  to.

I agree about the railwaymen, but not so much about the postmen, who are not particularly well paid.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Who knows ?

Just to add some detail here, bearing in mind that this was one person’s recollection of what was said. But if this is really the way the conversation went, hardly surprising that she was upset. Non-white people are frequently asked: ‘But where are you really from?’ and I’m not surprised they feel offended, given that most of them were born and bred in the UK! 

Here is the full exchange, as detailed by Ngozi Fulani, chief executive of Sistah Space, between Ms Fulani and Lady Susan Hussey, who has resigned as an honorary Lady of the Household, at Buckingham Palace:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”

SH: “No where do you come from?

Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”

SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”

Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”

SH: “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Here, UK”

SH: “No, but what Nationality are you?”

Ms Fulani: “I am born here and am British.”

SH: “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”

Ms Fulani: “‘My people’, lady, what is this?”

SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”

Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”

SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”

Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”

SH: “Oh so you’re from….”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry Avril, not playing this game anymore. To my mind, racism is indefensible. 

I totally agree with you about racism as we have experienced it in our family, and I  was certainly not playing any games with you, that's not like me at all. I thought we were having an intelligent debate together, but I obviously, unintentionally ruffled your feathers, and for that I apologise.

Avril

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Not loyalty at all zap. Just reading and listening with an open mind.  It's just basic commonsense. Why do you think it was necessary to go with a recording device?

It's a genuine question Zap, I don't want to argue with you , I'm just interested 😊

Avril

I think this 'recording device' is an urban myth that has grown, probably started by people trying to undermine the charity worker.

All I can find, after a search, is people asking why she had a recording device.  There is no reliable report saying that she actually had a device. 

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

Sorry to hear your grandson is poorly, hope he is better soon.

I had a busy day yesterday, went up to Truro with two of my daughters and granddaughter and received a text asking if I could get some shopping for one of my other daughters as her husband had covid. Got back from Truro just after lunch time, so headed straight off to Tesco's before going home. Dropped her shopping off and on the way back realised we had forgotten some of the shopping so turned around and went back!

Hubby is also not feeling well. He's got a cold and a terrible cough, trying to get through to the surgery to get him an appointment - wish me luck! 

Hope everyone else is feeling.

Thank you purplesea

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s horrendous, Michelle. What an absolute nightmare for you. I do hope he gets some today.

Exactly the same situation here with antibiotics, and similar reports across the country. Constant government assurances that there’s no shortage don’t help either - they must think people are stupid.

Thank you Harry

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Not yet but I am seeing my daughter in an hour hopefully she has managed to get some antibiotics somewhere 

I hope that she has managed to get the antibiotics by the time you see her.  It's worrying that the pharmacies are running out of medicines especially for children.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just to add some detail here, bearing in mind that this was one person’s recollection of what was said. But if this is really the way the conversation went, hardly surprising that she was upset. Non-white people are frequently asked: ‘But where are you really from?’ and I’m not surprised they feel offended, given that most of them were born and bred in the UK! 

Here is the full exchange, as detailed by Ngozi Fulani, chief executive of Sistah Space, between Ms Fulani and Lady Susan Hussey, who has resigned as an honorary Lady of the Household, at Buckingham Palace:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”

SH: “No where do you come from?

Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”

SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”

Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”

SH: “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Here, UK”

SH: “No, but what Nationality are you?”

Ms Fulani: “I am born here and am British.”

SH: “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”

Ms Fulani: “‘My people’, lady, what is this?”

SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”

Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”

SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”

Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”

SH: “Oh so you’re from….”

Unless Ms Fulani did have her phone set to record, then she has a remarkable memory. If she was using her phone to record her conversations, one has to ask why.

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

topUnless Ms Fulani did have her phone set to record, then she has a remarkable memory. If she was using her phone to record her conversations, one has to ask why.

As previously stated, the details of the dialogue came from other guests, not Ms Fulani. And none of the parties involved have denied the veracity of the exchange. 

Victim shaming does you no credit. 

However, this is such an old story,  which has been dissected ad nauseum elsewhere,  do we really need to rehash it again on here ? 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 8

No I have never seen any of these Fry’s products. Perhaps they never made is north.

Some of the sweets from back in the day would be totally inappropriate now. Remember the chocolate cigarettes wrapped in rice paper in an authentic looking box of the Spanish Gold sweet tobacco (which was actually very nice).

I loved lucky tatties with the small toy in the middle. Took hours to suck them down to free it. They still sell them but they are very small and no chocking hazard toy inside.

• Like 1