P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

Hi all, I've not posted for a while after a difficult month but I still enjoy reading everyone's news and the debates on here.

My father passed away mid-November after a rotten 2 years for him. He went from fit and active to disabled in no time back in 2020 due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the small chance he had of recovery disappeared during the 4 months he spent in 3 different hospitals whilst they tried to diagnose his symptoms. He moved into care in 2021 and remained mentally sharp with his usual friendliness and kindness towards others, despite being wheelchair bound. He was liked by everyone, especially the staff who appreciated his willingness to chat and listen to whatever they had to say.

On the 16th November I got a message that he had been taken to A&E before 8am and I got there with mum around 9am. We thought he would bounce back as usual but the doctor told us that he had caught pneumonia overnight and his chances of survival were slim. It was a complete shock as he was fine the day before. My sister joined us and we spent all day with him. He perked up in the afternoon but went downhill again and eventually passed away around 9:40pm.

He was still in A&E as they hadn't been able to find a ward bed to accommodate him. When he stopped breathing I went to find a nurse to tell them and they were completely shocked. It was the same with the doctor that they subsequently sent. They had just come onto the new shift and hadn't had a chance to catch up with the notes. 

You see horror stories in the press and on TV of A&E being crazy busy but it's hard to really take it in until you see it for yourself. There were patients everywhere, on trolleys and every spare seat. One lady in particular has stuck in my mind, as she was laying on a trolley near a corridor that I passed through when taking breaks. She was there mid-afternoon and still there when we left around 10:30pm.

It took a week for the death certificate to be issued, and we are still sorting out the financial side of things. The funeral arrangements caused a lot of heartache, but ultimately we had the best day we could have had, with over 200 in church for a lovely service, and it was a bright, clear day. I'm not the most confident public speaker, but managed to keep my nerves in check to deliver the eulogy, and I got a round of applause afterwards. So many people I didn't know came to introduce themselves and say well done afterwards. We also saw childhood friends for the first time in years. The afternoon reception went very well, and I stayed until the last relatives left at 7:15pm.

We are now back in Brithdir at my sister-in-laws for a few days getting away from it all, and it's just the ticket. Teddy made friends with a cow and we enjoyed some bracing fresh air at Barmouth yesterday. We've had a mini-Christmas dinner with a turkey and ham pie, then a "Boxing Day" style buffet with loads of snack food and home made mulled wine. It's been lovely getting away and having time to reflect.

I'm looking forward to everyone's Christmas news over the next week or so. Happy Christmas all.

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

Deepest condolences Damian. From your posts on here, it is evident that you are a very close-knit family which will help you get through this very difficult time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just returned from the doctor's surgery with OH and he has severe chest infection and been prescribed antibiotics. My daughter was going out to Boots so said she will collect them, so fingers crossed🤞 they have them in stock.

We, along with my daughter and SIL (he's got covid)  were supposed to be going over to Mum's for Christmas  and Boxing Day, but after talking with her yesterday we decided to cancel both.

On Boxing Day the rest of the family come over and spend the day, and it has been decided by two of my other daughters that Boxing Day is still going ahead for those that are well will still go over.  Having just spoken to Mum she is now worried she won't have enough food for everyone!! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

Hi all, I've not posted for a while after a difficult month but I still enjoy reading everyone's news and the debates on here.

My father passed away mid-November after a rotten 2 years for him. He went from fit and active to disabled in no time back in 2020 due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the small chance he had of recovery disappeared during the 4 months he spent in 3 different hospitals whilst they tried to diagnose his symptoms. He moved into care in 2021 and remained mentally sharp with his usual friendliness and kindness towards others, despite being wheelchair bound. He was liked by everyone, especially the staff who appreciated his willingness to chat and listen to whatever they had to say.

On the 16th November I got a message that he had been taken to A&E before 8am and I got there with mum around 9am. We thought he would bounce back as usual but the doctor told us that he had caught pneumonia overnight and his chances of survival were slim. It was a complete shock as he was fine the day before. My sister joined us and we spent all day with him. He perked up in the afternoon but went downhill again and eventually passed away around 9:40pm.

He was still in A&E as they hadn't been able to find a ward bed to accommodate him. When he stopped breathing I went to find a nurse to tell them and they were completely shocked. It was the same with the doctor that they subsequently sent. They had just come onto the new shift and hadn't had a chance to catch up with the notes. 

You see horror stories in the press and on TV of A&E being crazy busy but it's hard to really take it in until you see it for yourself. There were patients everywhere, on trolleys and every spare seat. One lady in particular has stuck in my mind, as she was laying on a trolley near a corridor that I passed through when taking breaks. She was there mid-afternoon and still there when we left around 10:30pm.

It took a week for the death certificate to be issued, and we are still sorting out the financial side of things. The funeral arrangements caused a lot of heartache, but ultimately we had the best day we could have had, with over 200 in church for a lovely service, and it was a bright, clear day. I'm not the most confident public speaker, but managed to keep my nerves in check to deliver the eulogy, and I got a round of applause afterwards. So many people I didn't know came to introduce themselves and say well done afterwards. We also saw childhood friends for the first time in years. The afternoon reception went very well, and I stayed until the last relatives left at 7:15pm.

We are now back in Brithdir at my sister-in-laws for a few days getting away from it all, and it's just the ticket. Teddy made friends with a cow and we enjoyed some bracing fresh air at Barmouth yesterday. We've had a mini-Christmas dinner with a turkey and ham pie, then a "Boxing Day" style buffet with loads of snack food and home made mulled wine. It's been lovely getting away and having time to reflect.

I'm looking forward to everyone's Christmas news over the next week or so. Happy Christmas all.

Damian

IMG_2970.JPEG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2947.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear your devastating news about your dad Damian.

Sending you and your family our prayers 🙏 and sincerest condolences.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

@purplesea, hope boots have got the antibiotics & he gets better soon. There’s loads of nasty coughs & colds about, I know I’ve caught dh’s & am feeling a bit rubbish, seems to be clearing from chest though fingers x. 

It appears that there is a shortage of antibiotics throughout Europe.

https://www.politico.eu/article/drugs-regulator-probes-eu-wide-antibiotics-shortage/

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

It took me back a year to read your post, Damian.  It was at Christmas last year when I lost my husband; at least he was able to be in hospital being well looked after, after  a short wait in A and E being attended to.  I am so relieved  that it was not happening now.

I didn't think previously that I cared much about anniversaries, but am finding that I do this year.  I will be with family for nearly a week, which will help a lot - it is just coming back to an empty house which is a bit difficult.

Enough moaning; I am mostly fairly cheerful and see friends etc.  I  know it will get less sharp as time goes on - and he had had a long and mainly fit and successful life.  And it seems the same applies to your father, Damian, and that is the most important thing, as we all have to go sometime.  I'm sure you will be taking extra care of your mother, as my children are for me.

Pauline and I send you our love and good wishes as your husband's first memory nears.

Graham x.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ohnonotmeagain said:

What a great bunch of people you all are on this site.💜

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. 🎄 

Me too  -  a kind thought means a lot, and I hope we will all have a special time this year, really needed with everything that has been going on for everyone.

• Like 9