P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Glorious blue sky and sunshine this morning, although a little chilly with the NE winds. 

I will get the hedge cutter out this afternoon to cut back the Ivy on the garden wall as there has been a rapid growth in the last 2 weeks and it needs cutting back before it gets out of hand. Also need to started transplanting some of the seedlings I planted a few weeks back before they get too leggy and set up self watering system so they get a steady feed of water especially whist we are away. 

Before all that, as it a nice day I will walk to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription via the scenic route past the lake and through the woods, around 5K there and back. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Charlie Williams? Certainly not Parkinson!

Charlie Williams was the typical Barnsley accent that I understood, but this was more the slang words than accent.  Maftin, brossend and croggy are three of the old slang words that still stick in my memory. 

Avril

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 10°C here.

I had my hips assessed at 08.30am at the muscular skeletal unit and confirmed replacements needed although I will put off as long as possible.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good grief !   Sorry to hear that Graham , seems one thing after the other , did you, not that

long ago, have the knees done ? What with the stent, I think they are trying to build Sunderland's 

Very own Six Million Dollar Man 😉

Hope all goes well when the time comes -You take care 🙂

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The sun is shining, but it’s very windy. DH’s birthday today we had Chinese takeaway last night to celebrate as ds goes back to uni today, so won’t be here for a family dinner. I made a cheesecake & experimented using chocolate coated rice crispys for the base, well tasted delicious but pretty impossible to get a spoon or fork into, we did laugh 😂.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

I worked in Dundee for 7 weeks back in 1997.That was about 500 miles from us.A long drive with just me driving.Harry was talking about dialects and accents a while back.Dundee is on a different level with the words they use,lol.

An an ining in an aw?

Bet you heard that one, it is a popular demonstration of Dundee dialect..

A bit like being in Boston and being asked to say “ car parked and Harvard Yard” to try to get the accent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

I had my hips assessed at 08.30am at the muscular skeletal unit and confirmed replacements needed although I will put off as long as possible.

Sorry to hear this. Take care,

had my hips assessed at 08.30am at the muscular skeletal unit and confirmed replacements needed although I will put off as long as possible.

Sorry to hear that but most people say they are glad they have had it done. Hope all goes well whenever you do decide.

Me too today, tonight after ct, 5 groin scans and that lovely two hour mri I will get definitive results hopefully.  I hope I will find out what the problems are. I know it's not the hip joints. I hope to find out if some   better mobility can be achieved and permanent pain relief found.  If not then I will come to terms with it, probably after a good cry for ten minutes.  We know I need a stent or two, but they felt the  hip/pelvic problem needs to be diagnosed first, then decisions will be made.   I am good at coming to terms with things when they are definite be it worse walking or eventual wheelchair.

S^%ding lift door started all this.

Whatever the outcome, going for a giant pizza, and an even bigger glass of wine afterwards.. my daughter and son in law are always good for a laugh!😆

• Like 15

Good morning.

Sorry to near you need hip replacement surgery. I believe to outcome is usually very good, my friends husband had one last December and it has been life changing for him, he is out walking and cycling again.

It’s a lovely day here today, said 16 degrees in my car earlier. Just been out with the dogs and it was pleasantly warm,

Hope you all have a lovely day 

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

An an ining in an aw?

Bet you heard that one, it is a popular demonstration of Dundee dialect..

A bit like being in Boston and being asked to say “ car parked and Harvard Yard” to try to get the accent.

Put an onion in as well?  🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

I wouldn’t worry about putting it off for while Graham - the NHS waiting list will do that for you!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Put an onion in as well?  🤔

Very close. And an onion one as well.

Dundonians like pies and are often heard to as for one steak pie and an onion one was well (as in steak and onion).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Sorry to hear that but most people say they are glad they have had it done. Hope all goes well whenever you do decide.

Me too today, tonight after ct, 5 groin scans and that lovely two hour mri I will get definitive results hopefully.  I hope I will find out what the problems are. I know it's not the hip joints. I hope to find out if some   better mobility can be achieved and permanent pain relief found.  If not then I will come to terms with it, probably after a good cry for ten minutes.  We know I need a stent or two, but they felt the  hip/pelvic problem needs to be diagnosed first, then decisions will be made.   I am good at coming to terms with things when they are definite be it worse walking or eventual wheelchair.

S^%ding lift door started all this.

Whatever the outcome, going for a giant pizza, and an even bigger glass of wine afterwards.. my daughter and son in law are always good for a laugh!😆

Good luck with your appointment and enjoy that pizza and large glass of wine after.

Gill x

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Sorry to hear that news Graham.

Take care of yourself and hopefully another cruise is imminent.

Gill x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I wouldn’t worry about putting it off for while Graham - the NHS waiting list will do that for you!  

I was told it could be up to 1 year.

I just need to phone the muscular skeletal clinic back within 6 month's to be placed on the hip replacement list so I will see how things go.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Sorry to hear that, Graham, though it’s rare to hear anyone with anything but positives for the surgery. What’s the likely wait, or will you be going private (please ignore that if it’s intrusive)?  I only ask because one of the NHS Treatment Centres might prove a very good halfway house if that hasn’t already been suggested. I’ve never met anyone with anything but praise for the one I used, and I imagine they’re all much the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to near you need hip replacement surgery. I believe to outcome is usually very good, my friends husband had one last December and it has been life changing for him, he is out walking and cycling again.

It’s a lovely day here today, said 16 degrees in my car earlier. Just been out with the dogs and it was pleasantly warm,

Hope you all have a lovely day 

Michelle

Thank you Michelle for your reassuring post.

They said they don't use a general anaesthetic now instead use a numbing injection which is good as I was concerned with my heart medication.

We decided to pop along to the beach for a snack and look out to sea.

Graham.

IMG_20230420_134856.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was told it could be up to 1 year.

I just need to phone the muscular skeletal clinic back within 6 month's to be placed on the hip replacement list so I will see how things go.

It’s at least a two year wait up here.  Hope all goes well for you.   I was talking to a lady last week when we were both waiting for a cataract operation (done successfully albeit privately) who had had her two hip replacements done on the same day last year (NHS)! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry to hear that, Graham, though it’s rare to hear anyone with anything but positives for the surgery. What’s the likely wait, or will you be going private (please ignore that if it’s intrusive)?  I only ask because one of the NHS Treatment Centres might prove a very good halfway house if that hasn’t already been suggested. I’ve never met anyone with anything but praise for the one I used, and I imagine they’re all much the same.

Thank you Harry.

I was told it could be 3-12 months wait.

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Charlie Williams was the typical Barnsley accent that I understood, but this was more the slang words than accent.  Maftin, brossend and croggy are three of the old slang words that still stick in my memory. 

Avril

My father was from Cudworth but went to school from 11 in Barnsley. He had a few local words, such as pikelet for what’s a crumpet in the south, tabs for ears, and a few others I can’t remember. All the thee and thou was removed at school I think, but I’m not sure that’s Barnsley anyway is it? My grandparents always said though that ‘Our lad’s not t’same since he moved down south’! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Michelle for your reassuring post.

They said they don't use a general anaesthetic now instead use a numbing injection which is good as I was concerned with my heart medication.

We decided to pop along to the beach for a snack and look out to sea.

Graham.

IMG_20230420_134856.jpg

Lovely view Graham, you will be jogging on there after your hip operation!!! I believe they can do it under a spinal injection now??? Isn’t it just amazing how far medicine and treatments have progressed?

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Harry.

I was told it could be 3-12 months wait.

Do look into the treatment centres, Graham. My local hospital had a 12 month waiting list but the treatment centre an hour and a half away did mine inside 6 weeks. It’s very much a production line, but the surgeons do nothing else and I was even able to choose the Consultant I wanted. Epidural, as you say, and wide awake during the entire procedure, but with some sedatives in the mix. Completely painless, as you’d expect, with just a vague awareness of what’s going on. 

Both cataracts also done quickly and successfully at a treatment centre.  Usually rather further than the local hospital, but invariably a lot quicker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1