P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

If he was baptised a few hours after birth then his birthday is 26 April. I have numerous examples in my 40 years of research of children being baptised from a few hours, months or even years after birth. I have an ancestor who was baptised at the age of 23, 2 weeks before his marriage, seems his parents forgot to get him baptised. 

Or perhaps not. Neither my sisters nor I were christened, our parents choice. Mum was religious, Dad was not and said we should make our own minds up when we could fully understand the meaning of a christening. 

Avril

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DamianG said:

Sorry to hear this Graham but hope that you can take some inspiration from other hip replacement successes such as those that Craig Revel-Horwood has had in the past. 
Looking forward to some photos of you dancing the light fantastic with the glamorous Pauline on a future (post-op) cruise.
Best wishes.

Damian

This goes for you too @yorkshirephil though maybe dance with your own wife rather than Graham’s.

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Or perhaps not. Neither my sisters nor I were christened, our parents choice. Mum was religious, Dad was not and said we should make our own minds up when we could fully understand the meaning of a christening. 

Avril

Your dad was right to say that you should be able to make up your own minds about christening.  My mum was religious but my dad was not but he agreed that we should be christened after mum explained to him that we would have the choice to be confirmed at 13 we would be old enough to decide whether or not we would want to continue to follow our mum's example and continue to go to church regularly.  My brother decided that he would no longer go to church with mum but my sisters and I continue to go to church to this day.  My husband was a chorister at Stoke church (now Stoke Minster) until he was 19 but now only attends for baptisms, weddings and funerals.  It really is a personal choice and we sometimes see adults being christened in our church.

• Like 3

I’ve had an email today from P&O. We’re booked on a four night cruise in June on Ventura and I’ve been offered the chance to bid for an upgrade! I’m in a normal balcony on Lido deck, I don’t mind as it’s only a short cruise. I can bid at least £50 each for an upgrade to a superior deluxe! I was tempted but some of the cabins look they might be over the nightclub. Also I’m nervous my parents health will mean we have to cancel so I’m not going to risk it!

• Like 3

Evening everyone, hope you have all had a good day. 

Well if you are ever in St Annes I can highly recommend a visit to The Ducks Nuts, we have just had wine and Tapas, great food and a great atmosphere. Back home now relaxing on the sofa, enjoy your weekend everyone 

Michelle

• Like 6

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve had an email today from P&O. We’re booked on a four night cruise in June on Ventura and I’ve been offered the chance to bid for an upgrade! I’m in a normal balcony on Lido deck, I don’t mind as it’s only a short cruise. I can bid at least £50 each for an upgrade to a superior deluxe! I was tempted but some of the cabins look they might be over the nightclub. Also I’m nervous my parents health will mean we have to cancel so I’m not going to risk it!

We had the same offer from Pincess this morning.  I looked at it but we couldn't  choose the cabin for the upgrade. I spend a lot of time choosing the cabin that is in a quiet position before I book so I don't want to take the risk of being in a cabin in a less favourable position.

Do P&O let you choose the cabin that you upgrade to ?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We had the same offer from Pincess this morning.  I looked at it but we couldn't  choose the cabin for the upgrade. I spend a lot of time choosing the cabin that is in a quiet position before I book so I don't want to take the risk of being in a cabin in a less favourable position.

No so I didn’t like that either.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is my late mam's 93rd birthday today.

It is quiet here today.

It has been raining for hours and is 8°C.

I hope everyone is ok.

Wishing everyone a happy weekend.

For some reason your post made me immediately think of the 1949 classic, ""Dear Hearts and Gentle People" and I just can't get the music out of my mind... perhaps it's just the association with warm thoughts. Hope that you have a "happy heart" day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

For some reason your post made me immediately think of the 1949 classic, ""Dear Hearts and Gentle People" and I just can't get the music out of my mind... perhaps it's just the association with warm thoughts. Hope that you have a "happy heart" day.

Thank you.

She was incredibly kind and we miss her every day.

Got some admin work to do this morning (need to stop posting on here!)

But my wife and I are doing a canoe trip down a river for the first time this afternoon

We tried canoeing on our local canal a couple of weeks ago for the first time and loved it. It was so tranquil

The river should actually be  easier hopefully (as we will have the current helping us move along)

• Like 4

It has been a cool  but bright morning but it had started to cloud over now that I am thinking of getting changed to go bowling. 

Does anyone else have problems that fit properly? I have spent 2 hours shortening another dress in preparation for summer. Why do clothing manufacturers think that women are all 6ft tall ? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It has been a cool  but bright morning but it had started to cloud over now that I am thinking of getting changed to go bowling. 

Does anyone else have problems that fit properly? I have spent 2 hours shortening another dress in preparation for summer. Why do clothing manufacturers think that women are all 6ft tall ? 

I only buy trousers and dresses that are the right length on me and so never have to take anything up. But, I accept i am lucky that I’m not short or tall (at 5’6), but i am sadly somewhat rounded to make up for that…🤣

• Like 2

Quite a lot of things are made in different lengths now; often two for dresses and skirts, and up to 3 for jeans and trousers.  Some are more problematic; the dressing gown I bought which is mid calf length for me apparently scrapes the ground on someone else who did a review on it!  ( I am about 5' 8").

As a girl I hated being tall, as teenage boys were always shorter, but now I admit to being glad; a bit of extra weight does not look so bad when you have the height to cope with it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Got some admin work to do this morning (need to stop posting on here!)

But my wife and I are doing a canoe trip down a river for the first time this afternoon

We tried canoeing on our local canal a couple of weeks ago for the first time and loved it. It was so tranquil

The river should actually be  easier hopefully (as we will have the current helping us move along)

Is this something you planned in advance, or will you just turn up.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Is this something you planned in advance, or will you just turn up.?

Lol there was no app or pager involved

Just a text message and cash deal!

Another great experience

We are going  to have a canoe short break holiday somewhere for a few days this year now we know what we are doing

It's so relaxing and stress relieving

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Lol there was no app or pager involved

Just a text message and cash deal!

Another great experience

We are going  to have a canoe short break holiday somewhere for a few days this year now we know what we are doing

It's so relaxing and stress relieving

Can you please STOP!!!!

I am recovering from surgery and supposed to be relaxing. You've got me exhausted 😞

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Can you please STOP!!!!

I am recovering from surgery and supposed to be relaxing. You've got me exhausted 😞

Hope you're doing OK happy v - apart from feeling exhausted that is!  😁.  Take care and best wishes for a rapid recovery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Of course, it is more relaxing if you poodle along the canal in your own narrow boat. 

Ours was called Little Nell !

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 9:21 PM, Josy1953 said:

I also received an offer from Princess on Friday.  Maybe we are on the same cruise ..... again 😉.  I've not looked seriously at the offer though, for reasons you highlight. Celebrity have been doing this for a few years but again, it's never tempted me. The thought of being allocated a cabin at the bow end, on a high deck, traversing either a rough North Sea or Bay of Biscay could make me ill, without even setting foot on the ship!

• Like 2

Morning All. Happy Sunday.

I've had a nightmare with this site for a couple of days! When I saw the message about logging in with our email addresses instead of user names I thought I'd be pro-active and change now. Then I realised that my email address was the one I'd originally registered with - my NHS one. So, I changed the email address to my my now one - sorted? No! My emails kept pinging with every comment made on here - of which there were many! Long story short, I finally managed to turn them off. God knows how - just a lot of button pressing. As you can read, I'm not very technical! In my working days I always had a helpline to call. Now, I have to work it out myself - and it turns out I'm a dinosaur. Anyway, all done now.

Good luck to everyone running in the London Marathon today and hope loads of money is raised for all the charities they support. Have a good Sunday everyone. Jane xxx

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I also received an offer from Princess on Friday.  Maybe we are on the same cruise ..... again 😉.  I've not looked seriously at the offer though, for reasons you highlight. Celebrity have been doing this for a few years but again, it's never tempted me. The thought of being allocated a cabin at the bow end, on a high deck, traversing either a rough North Sea or Bay of Biscay could make me ill, without even setting foot on the ship!

Royal Caribbean and MSC also have their version of putting in offers to upgrade to higher grade cabins,Suites etc but none of them let you pick the exact cabin even if your bid is accepted.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

DH and I decided that for us it is too much of a risk.  Neither of us suffer from motion sickness so that is not a concern for us.  Our concern is being in a cabin with public areas above or below us, many years ago we were in a cabin above the theatre and heard all of the shows several times when they were being rehearsed and one evening when I was unwell we went to bed early but couldn't get to sleep because obviously there was a performance in the theatre.

• Like 3