P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thanks to @wowzz post recently,I had my shingles jab yesterday.This was my first visit to this Med center as 2 of our previous GP's have closed down.The nurse said you haven't had any "bloods" done for 2 years,gave me a form and I booked online for Monday.Liver and prostrate included.Quite impressed with service.Never had prostrate done before,better than finger up bum though,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Doctors seem very keen to put people on statins.

This week, my husband had a routine health check and discovered that his cholesterol is higher than it should be. 

He’s got a phone appointment with the doctor in a couple of weeks time, and no doubt that the subject of statins will be raised. 

But, even before the appointment, he’s had a message from the surgery telling him he’s eligible for statins and to contact them for his prescription.

At this point, he has no intention of going on statins, and will address the high cholesterol by improving his diet. He wants to have at least the opportunity to improve his health naturally, rather than taking drugs for it. I have a feeling he will have to be quite firm about this during the upcoming doctors appointment, as I get the impression that there is a fair amount of pressure to go on statins 

And unfortunately he now has to declare higher than normal cholesterol when buying travel insurance and the question states has your cholesterol EVER been raised so even if he gets it back down to a good level naturally he will be rated and charged more. Sometimes these health checks don't help at all when it comes to travel insurance.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Never had prostrate done before,better than finger up bum though,lol.

Good cure to stop you picking your nose though (if it's your finger )

That reminds me 🙂

A farmer  loses three fingers in a horrific work accident on his harvester 

He asks the doctor if he’ll be able to drive with that hand..

The doctors says… Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it..🙃🤣

• Haha 15

17 hours ago, purplesea said:

I have just been out to collect my daughter as there are no trains she had to bus it into work leaving at 6 am this morning to get to Truro but her return bus was running late and therefore missed the connecting service. The next bus wouldn't have been until 10.30 pm. I had to take the scenic route too as the main road is closed, and the government want us to use public transport more!  Moan over🥴

Since I had my consultation on Wednesday, I had a phone call yesterday booking an appointment to plan my treatment, and a phone call today to book a MRI scan, so after waiting and having to chase them for the last six weeks things are now moving quickly.

I am also now all packed and ready to go to Southampton to board Arvia on Sunday, and have now found some  enthusiam.😀

I'm so glad things are moving at pace for you now Pam. I hope you have a lovely cruise and look forward to hearing all about it on your return. Very best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have been offered statins, some years ago, although my cholesterol level has never been too high. I refused, partly because I know a few people get awful muscle pains on them, but also because I have been told (don't know if it is true) that GPs get extra pay to put people on statins, or can diagnose them with pre-diabetes and get them to go to a diabetic clinic.  I really don't know if this is so; someone on here who has worked in General Practice might be able to say.

This was partly true up until I retired last year Lincslady. Yes, we encouraged patients to take a statin if they fell into the right group; but if they refused, we suggested they tried to control their cholesterol levels by diet -  with a 6 month review and so on. Pre-diabetic patients were monitored via blood tests and called back to see a GP if their levels rose enough to fall into the actual diabetic range. A lot of work in these areas was advisory only.

All practices are paid per capita with enhanced payments for reaching a certain percentage of delivery of treatment for:  babies'/children's vaccinations, cervical smear tests, asthmatics, diabetic patients, mental health patients. Every patient's consultation had to be coded so could be seen by the Care Quality Commission when they or NHS England visited. Monitoring GPs' consultations is now a big part of general practice (since Shipman) and quite right too.

Fortunately I worked in a wonderful practice where everything we did was for the benefit of patients only. It's only since I've left, and heard how other practices operate, that I've realised how lucky I was.

Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Jane.  A friend of mine was told she was 'pre-diabetic', and found out she really wasn't (she was rather overweight, however), and another friend, who worked at the surgery, did say that they had a rather mercenary GP who persuaded people into treatment etc. which they really did not need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

This was partly true up until I retired last year Lincslady. Yes, we encouraged patients to take a statin if they fell into the right group; but if they refused, we suggested they tried to control their cholesterol levels by diet -  with a 6 month review and so on. Pre-diabetic patients were monitored via blood tests and called back to see a GP if their levels rose enough to fall into the actual diabetic range. A lot of work in these areas was advisory only.

All practices are paid per capita with enhanced payments for reaching a certain percentage of delivery of treatment for:  babies'/children's vaccinations, cervical smear tests, asthmatics, diabetic patients, mental health patients. Every patient's consultation had to be coded so could be seen by the Care Quality Commission when they or NHS England visited. Monitoring GPs' consultations is now a big part of general practice (since Shipman) and quite right too.

Fortunately I worked in a wonderful practice where everything we did was for the benefit of patients only. It's only since I've left, and heard how other practices operate, that I've realised how lucky I was.

Best wishes. Jane xx

That’s helpful and interesting, Jane. Our practice is one that sounds like yours, with a very well deserved ‘Outstanding’ CQC rating. I’m very confident that the patient’s health is the key priority. Statins are recommended, or not, on the basis of an NHS algorithmic calculation, and I was happy to follow their recommendations. Age is one of the key parameters of course, and the evidence points to benefits beyond cholesterol control. 

We’ve both been taking them for years with no apparent side effects whatever. The most common perceived side effects have been shown to be almost entirely psychosomatic. No difference from placebo.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s helpful and interesting, Jane. Our practice is one that sounds like yours, with a very well deserved ‘Outstanding’ CQC rating. I’m very confident that the patient’s health is the key priority. Statins are recommended, or not, on the basis of an NHS algorithmic calculation, and I was happy to follow their recommendations. Age is one of the key parameters of course, and the evidence points to benefits beyond cholesterol control. 

We’ve both been taking them for years with no apparent side effects whatever. The most common perceived side effects have been shown to be almost entirely psychosomatic. No difference from 

That's very reassuring for you both Harry. To have that confidence in your practice - especially as age creeps up, means so much. 

I can remember some of the early statins did throw out some quite nasty side effects. On one occasion we had a visit from the NHS Community Pharmacist who wanted us to change our patients to a cheaper statin that my GPs knew gave patients a troublesome cough. He was told a resounding NO! 

I've been on a statin for just under a year now and, like you both, have had no side effects at all. Long may it continue!

Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have been offered statins, some years ago, although my cholesterol level has never been too high. I refused, partly because I know a few people get awful muscle pains on them, but also because I have been told (don't know if it is true) that GPs get extra pay to put people on statins, or can diagnose them with pre-diabetes and get them to go to a diabetic clinic.  I really don't know if this is so; someone on here who has worked in General Practice might be able to say.

My cholesterol was 3.5 and because I was on high blood pressure tablets my doctor considered me a coronary risk and prescribed statins.

I refused because I had heard about muscle pain and doctors get paid to get people onto statins.

I then had a mild heart attack and was given a high dose Atorvastatin which brought my cholesterol down to 2.5.

A year after my heart attack I asked if I could try another statin and on my records the nurse said 

Oh I see you have had simvastatin previously which I hadn't????

I am now on a low dose rosuvastatin.

Personally in hindsight I wished I had taken the statins earlier even though my cholesterol was low as it would have prevented my heart attack imo.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

That's very reassuring for you both Harry. To have that confidence in your practice - especially as age creeps up, means so much. 

I can remember some of the early statins did throw out some quite nasty side effects. On one occasion we had a visit from the NHS Community Pharmacist who wanted us to change our patients to a cheaper statin that my GPs knew gave patients a troublesome cough. He was told a resounding NO! 

I've been on a statin for just under a year now and, like you both, have had no side effects at all. Long may it continue!

Best wishes. Jane xxx

I have been on statins for about 20 years. No side effects and no side effects either.🤣

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I have been on statins for about 20 years. No side effects and no side effects either.🤣

They say before starting a family, most couples aren’t even aware of the side effects.

When the baby arrives, they become apparent.🙃

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I love you really ...............

It must be my undying charm and honesty 😊🥴. Having sat through 10 songs now, plenty of candidates for ‘nul point’ songs. Not heard Ukraine offering yet but they will win, despite your Oceana flags. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It must be my undying charm and honesty 😊🥴. Having sat through 10 songs now, plenty of candidates for ‘nul point’ songs. Not heard Ukraine offering yet but they will win, despite your Oceana flags. 

Oh you are watching ... personally I love Finland. He makes me laugh. Cha cha cha

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I defected to Simon and Garfunkel on Sky Arts, I am afraid.  Less colourful than Eurovision, but dare I say more talented.

Oh wander ... all in good fun 

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I defected to Simon and Garfunkel on Sky Arts, I am afraid.  Less colourful than Eurovision, but dare I say more talented.

We did the same. OH has now switched to "The Repair Shop" it amazes me how they repair things.  We have never been Eurovision fans.