P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

There was thick fog and 14c when I went to bed last night but now it’s hazy sunshine and still 14c. It’s forecast to be raining here for much of tomorrow so I’ll get some gardening jobs done today.

I also need to arrange a gas boiler service, the guy who fitted our boiler 16 years ago and serviced it every year since isn’t responding to my texts/emails so I need to find another gas safe engineer.

• Like 4

@lincsladyand @indiana123, I too was up in the wee small hours.  This time I ate a banana, took one sleeping pill (a combination pill of paracetamol and sleeping aid bought in the USA) and one paracetamol and decided to check recipes for apple cakes - as you do at 4 am 😉.

I printed out the Dorset apple cake after last week’s tempting picture, but I’ve also found a Delia chunky apple cake recipe I’d been meaning to try.  I may give both a go given the number of apples I have.  I’ve already prepared and frozen lots of pie/crumble packs.  Alas DH doesn’t care to eat any of the varieties we grow and so there is still a Tesco order for Pink Lady or Jazz etc 🙄.

Today’s busy after my slow start so the cake making may be tomorrow.  Also the second brandy feeding (upside down) for the Christmas cakes made on Sunday will be done.

@brian1 I hope the rest of your journey back is uneventful.  I was a bit jealous (again!) when I read that you were near Como, since it’s a few decades since I was there by the lake. Sigh!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning all , been awake for a while too but been reading the other boards, I’m getting myself ready for a small op at 12 o’clock today just a day case and should be home before tea , weather turned out really sunny and hot yesterday here in the end after a dull grey start , supposed to be cloudy all day today so we shall see again.

Have a good day everyone.

I hope that your op goes OK

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. It's been a somewhat busy couple of months or so for me with my Norway cruise and 2½ weeks in Spain plus two trips to Leicestershire in between for a funeral and then a birthday party. Things are now calming down although I have two friends staying with me at the moment whilst their (adult) daughter has major neurosurgery at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.

I'll try and get around to doing a proper report of my Aurora cruise in the next couple of weeks before I have to get my kitchen cleared ready to have it replaced. Also awaiting delivery of my new car, which is exciting and scary as my 12 year old Corsa is pre-everything being electronic/tech driven!

Hope everyone has stayed reasonably well. Don't think I've got time to do a lot of catching up...

Edited by Britboys
  • Like 13

Should have also said in my earlier post that I have recently booked a cruise for next summer. It's a 7-night river cruise in Germany and France. Really quite excited about it - morseo than my last few ocean cruises.

Going with the friend whose partner died recently. We've cruised together before on the Nile and Alaska.

• Like 12

Hi all,made it back home by 5pm.Left hotel at 7.30 to catch the 1.40 shuttle,that early should have got us there for the earlier one.It took us 2 and a half hours to travel the 20 miles to the Luxembourg turn off due to mega roadworks and the usual snarl up with commuters.That meant we missed the shuttle after our one which is the limit of our ticket cons.The lady in the booth just booked us on the next one at no extra cost,result.My mrs said these things always come in threes they're gonna find our 36 bottles of voddie stashed away,but no we were ok.

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Just been for our covid boosters, in our arms. Off to get some tyres and then shopping. No Food poisoning so far today.🤣

😁 Funnily enough, I’d only just been reading the ‘food poisoning’ (which wasn’t) saga and had just concluded I have too much time on my hands!  Not strictly true though - I like to read of others’ experiences and what you are all up to, it’s much easier than doing things I’ve been putting off. Please to read your toe is in good condition again though 😂

• Haha 6

22 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope that your op goes OK

Thank you josy , I was home by 4 o’clock, it was all plain and well run I didn’t have to sit and wait to long after been checked in and speaking to the surgeon they started about 1hr and 50 minutes later , I had Endovenous laser Ablation surgery, and quite honestly I wouldn’t want it again it was quite painful even though I had local anaesthetic it was so uncomfortable I almost past out , all the preparation took 50 minutes of pain then the laser work was 10 minutes non painful, so one leg all bandage up now with a support stocking looks very hip 😂 but at least I was able to walk out of hospital to car , and plodding around today but a restful night I had and been awake since 2 this morning. 
Hopefully all goes well with it and no complications come in a few days so fingers crossed 🤞.

• Like 10

Do your family have silly little rituals?  

When my grandchildren were small I used to give them ice cream money for their holidays (after a silly episode regarding Haargen Das, but that's another story!)

As they  got a bit older I would put the pennies in an envelope and write a message in the language of their holiday destination, or I would draw ice creams on the envelopes.

They are well into their 20s now with Partners, but my daughter tells me they would all be a bit upset if nothing arrived "as Nan always buys us a Haargen Das"   

Anyway at the moment they are all in Disney Paris. As there are quite a few of them the pennies sent will literally only buy them all a cornet each, but they love getting it all the same with the "french letters" that dear Google helped me with!!!🤣

I have heard from them and they are all having a brilliant 'family' time with Mickey Mouse and Minnie!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Indianna I love it !! You must never stop even if the pennies get less and the ice cream increases, they will never forget your generosity and maybe make it their ritual when they have children, I know I do stuff that my mother did for me and now I do for my children and grandchildren, ie buying first pram and first pair of grandchildren Clark’s shoes and first day of school shoes.

I honestly don’t know why this is coming out underlined I’ve touched something 😂

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

image.jpeg.ff08516a2d55c96a3ffd2c86d26465d5.jpeg

I lost my Beanie hat the other day, either in Costa or Sainsbury's, I asked but it was not handed in so i bought a new one in M&S. On arriving home there it was on its usual chair 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

I got a very cryptic text from my doctors surgery about a shortage of GLP-1 injections for diabetics. On doing my own research apparently the licensing of the medications for weight loss has led to a rush of prescriptions and demand has outstripped supply. Normal supplies may be restored by next summer. On collecting my prescription today the Liraglutide pens were not available 😨 

Luckily I have a reserve stock but I would have liked an invitation to discuss my options, especially as I had my annual diabetes review a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

I lost my Beanie hat the other day, either in Costa or Sainsbury's, I asked but it was not handed in so i bought a new one in M&S. On arriving home there it was on its usual chair 😵

I've got a spare West Ham beanie hat if you want it Dave.

• Haha 3

Although on holiday,  still have usual chores of putting rubbish out, etc. and it feels cooler this morning although my phone is telling me it's 20c.

I also saw the the South West, (home) is due torrential rain and potential flooding, good job our is on a hill, so I don't need to worry!

Take care and enjoy your day.

• Like 10

While I was out walking my niece's dog yesterday he was snuffling through some leaves and turned up a pound coin so when DH went to get his paper I gave him the coin and said to get a lottery ticket (he had to add another £1 because we didn't know that they are £2 a go).  I have just checked the results and we have won £30. 

I am going to get the dog a treat when I go shopping.🙂20231011_100500.thumb.jpg.5657a57d17ea3349a53ce32c330d8742.jpg

• Like 15

Morning 😃 The temperature has really dropped over night 5.c but our living room is just a bit over 19.c so no need to fire the CH up yet,

All this talk of hats reminds me of when as a child,my dad had a ashtray that was a rowing boat. As he never used it I would play with it and put it on my head like a hat .

Of course it did not fit ,that was until I found out ,if I turned it upside down ,........                                   then it was cap sized 🙃😉

Have a good day 🙂

• Haha 14

59 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Although on holiday,  still have usual chores of putting rubbish out, etc. and it feels cooler this morning although my phone is telling me it's 20c.

I also saw the the South West, (home) is due torrential rain and potential flooding, good job our is on a hill, so I don't need to worry!

Take care and enjoy your day.

Do you have organic,paper,glass and general all on different days like us?Glass is once a fortnight,embarrassed to put that many bottles out in the summer,lol.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Sorry to hear about your medication Dave and I certainly hope you get it resolved soon, as for your beenie hat well now you have that extra nice new warm woolly one ready for the winter.😊

I have about a dozen pairs of prescription reading glasses. What are the latest pair ?. I haven't got a clue as they all seem the same strength.

• Like 1