P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 11/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, kalos said:

Sorry about the delay but I am no @Selbourne when it comes to Vlogs and others who 

can do these things so fluently and easily and am glad to read Mrs S and himself had a good cruise.

I have been busy sorting things out and with what happened I have had to hit the floor running

with this and as you can understand ,family wanting a few answers as well. So I hope you 

all understand ,it was done in segments as I do not do vlogs and wanted family to know what happened first as some have been known to lurk on here to read my posts .

I will now jump /fast forward to the night before Cadiz. Mrs K wanted an early night as she had got a backache which we put down to some jolts within the ship. 

I told her take a couple of Paracetamol and she said it also made her feel a bit yuk ,so she took a sea sickness as well.

Going on a few hours to midnight she woke me up and said that "her back was still playing up and the pain had radiated into her ribs ,causing a pressure onto her chest "

Taking into account she already has heart problems I got her to ring the medical team,as our cabin was central we then made our way down to deck 4.

The nurse started to do blood tests looking for heart attack signs with in the blood .

By now a half asleep doctor turned up in his boxer shorts a tee shirt to look at cardio graph and blood results but due to her past heart results, he wanted her to go to Cadiz  Hospital  once we docked . 

I must say if your going to take ill then a cruise ship is the best place to do it, no sat in A&E for hours but it does come at a cost, a big one at that ,so make sure you declare everything and have suitable cruise cover insurance .

Lucky for Mrs K the tests came back clear but the doctor said and said he was happy for us to cruise if it was not for her past history so off to the hozzie to make sure..

With this one of the P&O staff were assigned to us (care team ) who now wanted me to pack all our luggage and gave us a few options leave them with the ship to be collected or take the suit cases with us or have a luggage company bring them to our house once home . we chose the latter 

It was now going on for 3am ,so off I went to clear our cabin of our things and pack a travel bag each . If Mrs K was kept in hospital the care team would arrange a nearby hotel for me and flight back home once she was deemed fit to travel .

If the hospital gave her the all clear and gave her a letter stating this then we would be let back on board .

Eventually a paramedic ambulance came and took her off board and they did further tests at the shore side before heading to the hospital in another ambulance they had sent for her .

Thankfully all other tests they did were clear and the ships doctor gave us clearance to re-board the ship and continue with the cruise .

With that baggage was returned to us and we just carried on cruising .

Lots of paperwork still to sort to reclaim our costs but we have a great care team and insurance team giving us help and guidance, so I will leave it at that.

As I said in my opening post ,lots of things we were expecting and a few we were not . 

Sorry to hear what you both went through Kalos which must have been very scary.

I'm so happy to hear your dear wife was given the all clear and you were able to continue your cruise.

Best wishes

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone ,an overcast 6.c here today .

Great to have Graham @grapau27 back posting again with us mate .🙂

14 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I went for my first Physio appointment this morning, nursie was well impressed with my progress and joint flexibility. "How are you doing with the exercises Phil?" "To be honest I am finding them a bit too easy"

Glad your on the mend ,I remember my physio and I found it easy by following an article out 

of a news paper for the over 60's  . I will dig it out and post it below for you to follow 🙂

Have a good day everyone  !   

64586-232f44ff-09e4-4d75-83c1-42a1efd0b560.jpg.2525b85437813ac820afb71b133bece1.jpg

• Haha 26

Good morning everyone, it’s cloudy here this morning and doesn’t look like there is much wind thankfully.

Graham, it’s good to see you posting again and yorkshirephil glad to seem to be recovering well.

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good to see you back, Graham.  I guess I was probably wrong about you being on a cruise (as I often am).  Look forward to your news in due course.

Talking of phones,  my landline is about to come under the new BT thing about changing everything - this would mean that you would no longer have a line available in the case of a power cut, apart from your mobile.  I hate using a mobile, and just have one for dire emergencies.  However, people with no internet and those over a certain age can refuse to join in, which my son advises me to do -  I also have a Lifeline which would be affected and knowing BT would not get sorted properly.  I hope everyone here knows all the  facts to be able to make the right decision when necessary for themselves or the 'aged parents'.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

However, people with no internet and those over a certain age can refuse to join in, which my son advises me to do -  I also have a Lifeline which would be affected and knowing BT would not get sorted properly.  I hope everyone here knows all the  facts to be able to make the right decision when necessary for themselves or the 'aged parents'.

I do believe that under these changes people without internet will have a receiver box fitted 

to make your phone work as it does now .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had forgotten about Wordle, and then a few days ago (awake early) did one - didn't get it at all. Felt annoyed, thought I would do another and lo and behold got it first go.  The secret of course was 3 correct letters at the start, two of which were in the right place.  Luck does have quite a lot to do with it.  If that is any consolation.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Good to see you back, Graham.  I guess I was probably wrong about you being on a cruise (as I often am).  Look forward to your news in due course.

Talking of phones,  my landline is about to come under the new BT thing about changing everything - this would mean that you would no longer have a line available in the case of a power cut, apart from your mobile.  I hate using a mobile, and just have one for dire emergencies.  However, people with no internet and those over a certain age can refuse to join in, which my son advises me to do -  I also have a Lifeline which would be affected and knowing BT would not get sorted properly.  I hope everyone here knows all the  facts to be able to make the right decision when necessary for themselves or the 'aged parents'.

We were switched last year. Yes you can refuse the switch initially but they eventually contact you to say switching off totally in 28 days.

With the lifeline you need to speak to them immediately as special arrangements have to be made for that to continue to work.  Don't stress about it, it's very simple but eventually you have no option as we found.  Much better to put it in place before they threaten the deadline which in my case caused a bit of panic about alarms and aids for deafness etc.

• Like 2

Thanks, luckily my family will make sure I do whatever is necessary when the time comes.  I think it will be pretty difficult for them to cope with all those who have no internet access - though obviously a dwindling number.  As it happens my router is right next to the phone line into the house.

• Like 1

We are looking at the possibility of going on Iona in 2024, the cabin that we are looking at is one of the front facing ones on deck 10.  Has anyone one on here been in one of these cabins if so what did you think of it and was it quiet ?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We were switched last year. Yes you can refuse the switch initially but they eventually contact you to say switching off totally in 28 days.

With the lifeline you need to speak to them immediately as special arrangements have to be made for that to continue to work.  Don't stress about it, it's very simple but eventually you have no option as we found.  Much better to put it in place before they threaten the deadline which in my case caused a bit of panic about alarms and aids for deafness etc.

Does the fibre connection to the house come through the same existing copper wire conduit or do they have to lay a new connection in the ground?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are looking at the possibility of going on Iona in 2024, the cabin that we are looking at is one of the front facing ones on deck 10.  Has anyone one on here been in one of these cabins if so what did you think of it and was it quiet ?

If you use a certain social media site ending in book there’s an Iona group on there that has reviews of most of the cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

On the other new ship but will give you an idea 

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Good morning everyone, it’s cloudy here this morning and doesn’t look like there is much wind thankfully.

Graham, it’s good to see you posting again and yorkshirephil glad to seem to be recovering well.

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Yes, a very welcome return, but we are a bit cheated. There should be a backlog of Greggs, or McCafe pictures, or perhaps a few shots of Graham's feet enjoying  Benalmadena.🤣

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Dobbers said:

Grey and cloudy here.

Im off work with a lousy head cold, watching rubbish tv and drinking lots of tea (getting steps up with toilet visits 😳)

I’m so sorry for myself even the dog is avoiding eye contact 🤣IMG_6398.thumb.jpeg.fc41a9b180ce4cdb159c0d667ff136e1.jpeg

Gorgeous dog.  Does he/she have a name to share please?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank him very much. I'm glad you have such lovely company while you're under the weather. I hope you feel better very soon.

Thank you, my first look at this thread. One of the other threads I was following was giving me a headache this morning 😉

• Like 2