P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Another cold morning currently 2C, but another dry day ahead with no rain forecast, need a few more of those days so we can see the flooding subside in the area, we went to Coalport yesterday and had lunch at a pub by the River Severn, the gardens were closed as partly under water, not that we would have sat there.

This is a view of the Coalport Bridge yesterday with the river flowing high beneath it, glad to say the river gauge reports a drop of just over 1m in the last 12 hours from a peak of 4.8m yesterday afternoon to 3.68 this morning. Some respite for those living near the banks of the river and fearing an increase in levels. 

IMG_1840.jpeg

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

mum came home from hospital yesterday. The Home Care team brought her home and did an assessment in her own home watching her do things. A carer came yesterday too to help her have a bath although she managed it by herself they were there in case she needed it. They are only coming in once a day at tea time to help her. She is doing amazingly well.

I am collecting my new car at 10am this morning so looking forward to that.

I’m Glad you’re mum is home Michelle and is moving around a lot better now , I’m sure she’ll be back to her fit self in a few weeks , slow and stronger is better.

Enjoy picking your new car up , how exciting 😃

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Having never visited your region,it is the only part of England I haven't visited.Would you recommend Shrewsbury over Gloucester.Just done a dummy booking on NE and can get there for 50 quid return for 2 of us although the bus doesn't leave Victoria till 13.00.That may be a gamechanger.TIA,Brian.

Shropshire is a beautiful county to visit,  I would definitely go for Shrewsbury though there are probably many people who would say the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All my family are Maidstone United  fans but two work there full time, and one part time.

They are all off to Coventry today en masse.   If the outcome is not a good one I will be keeping my head down for a while🤣 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

All my family are Maidstone United  fans but two work there full time, and one part time.

They are all off to Coventry today en masse.   If the outcome is not a good one I will be keeping my head down for a while🤣 

Good luck to Maidstone United in the FA cup at Coventry.

• Like 2

@Peanut006

I'm pleased your Mum is back home and settling in well. It's amazing how much better we feel in our own familiar surroundings and to be able to look after ourselves a little. I'm sure she'll come on in leaps and bounds now and ready for her holiday in June.......and Wimbledon of course😉

Avril

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

@Peanut006

I'm pleased your Mum is back home and settling in well. It's amazing how much better we feel in our own familiar surroundings and to be able to look after ourselves a little. I'm sure she'll come on in leaps and bounds now and ready for her holiday in June.......and Wimbledon of course😉

Avril

Never knew she was playing tennis down there 🙃😉

@Peanut006 Glad to read your mums back home ,she's getting there 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Never knew she was playing tennis down there 🙃😉

@Peanut006 Glad to read your mums back home ,she's getting there 😃

She is a bit old to  play tennis now but I do have a video of her playing swing ball in the garden with one of her great-grandchildren 

Michelle

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

She is a bit old to  play tennis now but I do have a video of her playing swing ball in the garden with one of her great-grandchildren 

Michelle

I was advised years ago never to date a tennis player ,as love means nothing to them 🙃

• Haha 13

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Just been reading about problems aboard Norwegian Dawn. Scary! 

Yep just been reading the same .

Also the sad news about a guy rowing his boat over the Atlantic from Porthmadog, set off on his 2,942-mile solo challenge from Gran Canaria to Barbados last month to raise money for two charities.

Has passed away. The boat he used was Welsh named Mynadd,.

• Like 6

On 2/24/2024 at 10:33 AM, Snow Hill said:

A cold but sunny morning, currently 3C, most of early morning frost has gone.

Have been watching the Test Match this morning with 20 year old England spinner Shoab Bashir confusing the Indian batters, he has 4 wickets so far and considering he only made his debut for Somerset last June he has come a long way in such a short time. 

Will be booking a 4 day break in Yorkshire this morning, have found a place just outside York, ideal location for visiting the city, Castle Howard and few other places. 

Snow Hill,  have a look at The National Railway Museum.  It's really interesting and best of all, it's free! #yorkshire. I also recommend the McArthur Glen outlet. As Grapau says, there's lots of shops and the parking is free and there's plenty of parking spaces. If you've time, a trip to Harrogate is highly recommended. It's a really nice town. Fountains Abbey is about 1 hours drive from York and is again well worth a visit. Its not cheap though. Its £19 for an adult.  The Royal Armouries in Leeds is about 40 mins from York Centre. It's brilliant and best of all again, it's free!!. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Janine

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elliejay said:

Snow Hill,  have a look at The National Railway Museum.  It's really interesting and best of all, it's free! #yorkshire. I also recommend the McArthur Glen outlet. As Grapau says, there's lots of shops and the parking is free and there's plenty of parking spaces. If you've time, a trip to Harrogate is highly recommended. It's a really nice town. Fountains Abbey is about 1 hours drive from York and is again well worth a visit. Its not cheap though. Its £19 for an adult.  The Royal Armouries in Leeds is about 40 mins from York Centre. It's brilliant and best of all again, it's free!!. Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Janine

We have already been to National Railway Museum, we have a McArthur Glen outlet centre not far from where we live so not likely to visit the York one, Fountains Abbey is on out possible list, wouldn’t cost us anything as NT members, we went to Harrogate in 2022 when we were last in Yorkshire. The trip this time is to do things we didn’t manage then which includes York, we plan to visit Minster, Shambles, Clifford Tower and few other places, plus a trip to Castle Howard and if we have time Fountains Abbey. 

8 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Apparently given the all clear to dock now. Probably the dreaded Noro striking again! 

We disembarked QM2 this morning and for the 26 days onboard from Cape Town there were gastro precautions for the whole time. The first few days and the last few were just that you couldn’t serve yourself in Kings Court but in between very strict cleaning procedures and restrictions. Many well seasoned cruisers who have been ok in the past caught an infection this time, the various people that we talked to had been in isolation for between 1 and 6 days. We were told by a passenger who went to the medical centre that at one time about 200 people were in isolation at the same time and their cabins were being specially cleaned with cleaners in full protective clothing and masks. The common consensus was that there were various gastro infections around including a particularly virulent noro virus strain.

• Like 8

It is a cold frosty morning here and It looks like it might be one of those sort of days. 

I noticed when I went into to our bathroom last night that there was a bit of water lying on grouting between the floor tiles next to the basin so I mopped it up but it is back again this morning so I pulled off the kickboard and had a look and there was a small amount of water underneath so we obviously have a leak.  I have just texted my niece's husband to ask him to call around to take a look but that it isn't urgent because he is a plumber and he has just texted back that he will call round after work. I will see if the children want to have dinner with us tonight as dad will be coming here.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I thought that £18 was rather steep for York Minster last week. Having said that, we spent nearly two hours there. 

Westminster Abbey now 26quid even for us OAPs.In the summer hols as a kid I used to get a red rover and go in all these places for free.The red rover was 5 bob,lol.

• Like 3

Morning all, sunny this morning after a really nasty day yesterday, the wind was horrendous, it was bitter when I walked home from work.

@Peanut006 so pleased your mum is much better, hope she continues to improve.

In a moment of madness I agreed to cover the late shift tomorrow (1-6) instead of my normal 8-1. I shall enjoy a bit of a lie in but it mucks up visiting mum tomorrow so we’re going today. On Thursday it’s my normal late day but I work from home then, tomorrow I have to go in the office.

• Like 7

Good morning.

3°C and raining here.

Pauline and I were saying there are lots of TV adverts on mainly Electric cars.

The theory is good but in practice the full charge just doesn't allow you drive sufficient miles.

Our 325 mile drive to and From Southampton would concern me especially if it was raining and we had lights and windscreen wipers on.

Hybrid is one issue but I am not convinced.

I hope everyone is well and we all have a good day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

3°C and raining here.

Pauline and I were saying there are lots of TV adverts on mainly Electric cars.

The theory is good but in practice the full charge just doesn't allow you drive sufficient miles.

Our 325 mile drive to and From Southampton would concern me especially if it was raining and we had lights and windscreen wipers on.

Hybrid is one issue but I am not convinced.

I hope everyone is well and we all have a good day.

Quite right Graham.I think the higher end Teslas have a longer range but cost an arm and a leg.I've heard stories of "charger rage" at motorway services.Too much,too soon to appease the greens.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Quite right Graham.I think the higher end Teslas have a longer range but cost an arm and a leg.I've heard stories of "charger rage" at motorway services.Too much,too soon to appease the greens.

I also said to Pauline how many AA advertisements are on at the moment.

I wonder if the rise in Electric cars will increase the number of calls outs to the AA for running out of electric charge.

• Like 4