P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Harry and thanks, as always, for your kind comments.

I am lucky to be part of a very proactive PCN. We, the Practice Managers, meet online every Monday morning to discuss the forthcoming week and, given that we all have something different to offer, it works well. We all did our own patient searches last Monday according to the annex listings in the letter you attached. The searches are quite fiddly, involved, and not foolproof. Without getting too technical, if the GPs have not coded their consultations correctly, patients can be missed from the searches. However, when our partners review the searches, their knowledge of their patient population usually picks up any missing names or anomalies.

We decided as a group not to wait for the official searches to be available in the knowledge that we could do our own in order to get started asap. The official searches, when available,  should match our own, with the knowledge that we can do a "sweep" of any missed patients at the end.

I am sorry you're not having the same experience with your own practice but, as I said, I am lucky to be part of a very proactive PCN. Hopefully it won't be too long before you are called.

Keep well Harry. Best wishes as always. Jane.x

Jane, I do, as ever, very much appreciate your very helpful comments. I did wonder whether you were the Practice Manager from your previous very knowledgeable comments on matters medical.

The GP I spoke to is aware that the immunosuppressant in question, at a daily dose in excess of 1mg, is covered, but chose to do nothing more than add it to the record to ensure that the searches pick it up later on, perhaps in October.

The Practice Manager is usually very good, and I’ll try to talk to her tomorrow to move things forward if I can. It may be though that arranging the vaccinations themselves, even after identification, is a block job that they’d rather postpone to do in one go. I’d estimate maybe 250 out of around 30,000 patients.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well I was really looking forward to our holiday, driving round the UK, but on Friday my husband complained of nasty back pain and by the evening he couldn't bear weight on his right leg.  He is in severe pain and we are going nowhere.  I imagine he has prolapsed a disc.  Poor soul can't even get comfortable in bed.  😪

Your poor husband. Frank has a crumbling vertabrae in his lower back and the pain can be debilitating at times. It's so frustrating when you can't do anything to help them. I hope he soon recovers and maybe you can still have that holiday, if a little later than planned.

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Your poor husband. Frank has a crumbling vertabrae in his lower back and the pain can be debilitating at times. It's so frustrating when you can't do anything to help them. I hope he soon recovers and maybe you can still have that holiday, if a little later than planned.

Avril

Think it might be next spring now Avril.  We will be moving our April cruise to 2023 and trying this holiday again.  One thing after another.  My hip is still painful at times too.

29 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Think it might be next spring now Avril.  We will be moving our April cruise to 2023 and trying this holiday again.  One thing after another.  My hip is still painful at times too.

Maybe we can book ourselves in next to Azura for a refit😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Well I was really looking forward to our holiday, driving round the UK, but on Friday my husband complained of nasty back pain and by the evening he couldn't bear weight on his right leg.  He is in severe pain and we are going nowhere.  I imagine he has prolapsed a disc.  Poor soul can't even get comfortable in bed.  😪

So sorry to hear this Jean. You really haven't had much luck this year have you. I wish him better and hope very much that it's not a prolapse. Take care and best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Jane, I do, as ever, very much appreciate your very helpful comments. I did wonder whether you were the Practice Manager from your previous very knowledgeable comments on matters medical.

The GP I spoke to is aware that the immunosuppressant in question, at a daily dose in excess of 1mg, is covered, but chose to do nothing more than add it to the record to ensure that the searches pick it up later on, perhaps in October.

The Practice Manager is usually very good, and I’ll try to talk to her tomorrow to move things forward if I can. It may be though that arranging the vaccinations themselves, even after identification, is a block job that they’d rather postpone to do in one go. I’d estimate maybe 250 out of around 30,000 patients.

Thanks once again Harry. You really are very kind.

I think it would be worth speaking to your PM tomorrow if you can -  if only to get a definitive answer on their timescale. With regard to the numbers, we alone have 196 in the group and I believe we are looking at 1050 for the whole of the PCN which is also around 30,000 patients.

Good luck with the conversation and do let me know how you get on.

Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm so sorry to hear your news Jean.

I hope he recovers quickly and doesn't need hospital treatment.

Graham.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Sorry to.hear about your husband, hope he recovers soon. Disappointing not to.be able to get away.

I'm at work at present, an early shift today, and another slow day, although this morning hasn't been as bad as yesterday. Only another three hours to go! 

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

• Like 7

Hi all,in our 3rd hotel in Cassino outside Naples,the 1st one where my laptop worked.After leaving Calais at 11 due to waiting for our tests the sat nav ETA for Colmar was 5pm.After roadworks,rainstorms in the Ardennes and rush hour in Luxembourg and Metz,we arrived at 8.40pm.No photos I'm afraid.Set out for Modena.ETA 2pm.Big queue at Gotthard tunnel and then at Italian border where we thought they would check everything,turned out it was roadworks at Como on the other side.The 1 border bloke was standing there playing with his phone and everyone was driving thru.So all tests and form filling a waste of time.Arrived at Modena 5.30pm.Today on schedule 4 and a half hours,weather fantastic 32c.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That’s such a shame, I hope your husband feels more comfortable soon!

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 3:01 AM, NSWP said:

Happy travels Brian, you are brave, travelling with all that covid about. But then UK is still having 40,000 new cases a day and a 100 odd deaths so you may be safer in mainland Europe. Stay safe it is a jungle out there old son.

Cheers Les,nearly there now.Laptop not responding to the 1st 2 hotel wifi.Feel pretty safe here,Brian.

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh no Jean. Hope he’s more comfortable very soon.

Morning everyone, a miserable Monday morning here, currently raining. I know we need it but it does make it feel very autumnal.

Just about to take my car into the garage as it needs AdBlue(??) adding to it or it tells me it won’t start after the next 550 miles.

I might do some baking as well, maybe some Parkin using recipe from my Grandma. She used to be a cook at a big house in Bradford that belonged to a Mill owner, she was an excellent cook

Have a good day everyone and stay safe

Michelle

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I hope your husband is feeling a bit better today. Hopefully in a few days he will be back to normal. It’s awful having back pain, unless you suffer with it it’s hard to explain how debilitating it can be. 
Michelle

• Like 1

Hello all, very quiet on this thread today. Busy morning at work but quiet afternoon as John has also hurt his back, what is it with backs? He was gardening while I was working, we were going to drive to a farm shop this afternoon but it didn’t happen! He’s feeling very sorry for himself.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:33 PM, Beckett said:

Thanks once again Harry. You really are very kind.

I think it would be worth speaking to your PM tomorrow if you can -  if only to get a definitive answer on their timescale. With regard to the numbers, we alone have 196 in the group and I believe we are looking at 1050 for the whole of the PCN which is also around 30,000 patients.

Good luck with the conversation and do let me know how you get on.

Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks Jane. 

Just an update - spoke with the PM today, and apparently the PCN (nine GP practices of varying sizes) has decided to do nothing pending the arrival of the NHS England searches. Not impressed by that, given the request that 'where practices can identify individuals themselves in advance of this, they should.'.

The searches could take until 30 September to come down, as you know, but the PM did agree to put me on the list the PCN is keeping - how quickly that translates into a vaccination though, who knows?  It may be that they'll take no action with the list until it's regarded as complete.

I'm pushing because our plan is to get the vaccine, get an approved spike protein antibody test later to see if it's worked, and then maybe consider going to our son's wedding in December.  Ironic that the bride's parents could well be there from Malaysia, but not the groom's parents from just a few miles away!  Such is the Delta variant, and such is the effect of immunosuppressants, though!  Particularly in rooms full of medics, which is what it'll be - most from a major hospital.  Good place to pick up a virus.  💀😉

Thanks again - Harry.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1