P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Afternoon all, struggling to like and quote again but good wises to all.

Yesterday we went to Wingham Wildlife Park near Canterbury with grandson and his parents. Amazing weather for October, blue skies and sunny. Joshua was fine at first then got very whiney and didn’t want to walk. Bless him, he had his flu vaccine - up his nose late afternoon Thursday so the only thing we can think is he’s had a bit of a reaction to that. He slept well last night though and has perked up a bit today so hopefully he’ll be his useful self soon. Hate to see him ill.

John back to work today and me tomorrow, how quick that week has gone!

Harry, petrol seems back to normal hear in the SE now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I'm trying to invent a snail/octopus combo dish.I might get a Michelin star,bro.

Brilliant bro. a new tyre design is good idea. It would certainly have better grip that's for sure, even if the speed is slower🥴

Sis😁

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you tried Heston Blumental,s recipe for snail porridge, it is very, very tasty.

Not tried it, but I do get threatened with it occasionally!  His recipes are notoriously difficult - is this one simpler?

Always fancied eating at Fat Duck, but £300+ a head has always put me off. I gather it barely breaks even, even at those prices and in more normal times. He’s probably worrying about his fuel bills at the moment.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Brilliant bro. a new tyre design is good idea. It would certainly have better grip that's for sure, even if the speed is slower🥴

Sis😁

Now, now Avril I don't  want a new tyre design that goes slower, I don't think people want their vehicles going slower and I depend on people buying tyres to protect my pension. 😇🚗🚗

Edited by Josy1953

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not tried it, but I do get threatened with it occasionally!  His recipes are notoriously difficult - is this one simpler?

Always fancied eating at Fat Duck, but £300+ a head has always put me off. I gather it barely breaks even, even at those prices and in more normal times. He’s probably worrying about his fuel bills at the moment.

Yes it’s quite simple to do with some small tweaks.

You can use canned snails and just revive them by sautéing in butter before adding to everything else. This saves hours of prep.

The biggest faff is making the stock as prescribed by HB but you can cut this short a little. Just use a more basic chicken stock which tastes just as good (well it does to my untrained palette).

You do need the other basics though like a decent quality ham, oats and walnut oil which all adds to the flavour.

I love cooking with oats. The winner of the porridge contest this year used pin head oatmeal and made arrinchini with it -  very clever. I only use pin head for potatoes and fish cakes so something new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Sis😁

I feel deflated now sis,I've got a slow puncture on my motor,bro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Now, now Avril I don't  want a new tyre design that goes slower, I don't think people want their vehicles going slower and I depend on people buying tyres to protect my pension. 😇🚗🚗

I'd like cars to go slower Josy, then I'd have a better chance of crossing a road without the risk of a sprained ankle or a heart attack.😊

Avril

12 hours ago, Beckett said:

This site is so frustrating! I've been unable to do a thing but "like" etc. for a good 48 hours. I just managed a "quote" to Michelle which I think has registered but I tried to do one for Sandra and it won't let me again.

So this post is for Sandra:  I am so sorry I didn't acknowledge your difficult few days -it wasn't for lack of trying. I am glad the funeral went as well as it could and I loved that Sweet Caroline was played at the end. What a happy way to end a sad occasion. After such a length of time caring, everything will feel very empty at first but please look after yourself while you adjust. As you said to me Sandra - this is your time now. Very best wishes. Jane.x 

Thats lovely Jane thank you very much, and please don’t worry about not being able to quote or like , I think we are all experiencing it at some point but don’t last to long .

We are of to Luton airport tomorrow to send dad and sister in law back to fuerteventura, dad is going for a good few weeks and I’m going to sort and remove all of mums things while he is away , that’s what he wants me to do so I’ll still be busy for a while, I’m looking forward to London next week, going to dinner at the Ritz and going to see phantom of the opera for the 13 th time , just love it so much .

Petrol seems to be back to normal down here , no closures and no ques 

• Like 6

On 10/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Peanut006 said:

My mum has just started needing more help doing things for her. She has Macular Degeneration and it has got significantly worse over the last few months. I have just got her an appointment at our Low Vision Centre for an assessment on Tuesday. She is not too happy about it but they might be able to offer us some help and advice. 
It’s difficult as I am an only child so no-one else to help and have MS myself and having a bit of a “blip” myself at the moment. Grandchildren are over an hour away so a lot is falling on my hubby at the moment who is still working. Even the dog is not well, he is at the vets today as well. 
Anyway that’s enough of me moaning!! The weather is nice here today which is always a big plus

Take Care everyone and stay safe

Michelle

Michelle I’m sorry to hear your not feeling to good at the moment with your MS you need some rest too and extra hard on you at the moment when you are the only one to look after your mum , I hope see changes her mind and goes to the vision centre there may be something there that might help her later in life , I’m a bit behind on my postings so I hope you’re feeling a lot better today, take care 

Sandra 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still nice enough weather here and I must definitely do some more planting. Yet having repeated that mantra a thousand times I still find myself tootling round doing everything that is not that. 

I have though received the box of 7 lateral flow tests ordered from the NHS late Saturday, so excellent service. I know these won't be suitable if and when they change Day 2 testing to LFTs but they will do for me taking a LFT and reporting hopefully a negative test to the NHS which I am required to show before boarding the Eavesway coach. Facebook roll call told me this as I didn't notice it on their site so I need to pay more attention as thats 2 things I have got wrong now, having selected the "wrong" Europe on the insurers website. Who knew there would be alternatives? Still all corrected.

Hopefully everyone else is well and enjoying their day.

15 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'd like cars to go slower Josy, then I'd have a better chance of crossing a road without the risk of a sprained ankle or a heart attack.😊

Avril

I would like a lower speed limit on the the local roads around here, there are places where it is a case of walk several yards away from where you really want to cross because the visibility isn't brilliant and some drivers don't seem to know that the speed limit in built up areas is 30 mph unless there are signs indicating something else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccpm said:

Still nice enough weather here and I must definitely do some more planting. Yet having repeated that mantra a thousand times I still find myself tootling round doing everything that is not that. 

I have though received the box of 7 lateral flow tests ordered from the NHS late Saturday, so excellent service. I know these won't be suitable if and when they change Day 2 testing to LFTs but they will do for me taking a LFT and reporting hopefully a negative test to the NHS which I am required to show before boarding the Eavesway coach. Facebook roll call told me this as I didn't notice it on their site so I need to pay more attention as thats 2 things I have got wrong now, having selected the "wrong" Europe on the insurers website. Who knew there would be alternatives? Still all corrected.

Hopefully everyone else is well and enjoying their day.

Slightly off topic, I read a day or so ago that there is debate in gov about stopping free NHS lateral flow tests except in special circumstances. According to the NAO 691 million have been issued but only 91 million results have been registered.

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Slightly off topic, I read a day or so ago that there is debate in gov about stopping free NHS lateral flow tests except in special circumstances. According to the NAO 691 million have been issued but only 91 million results have been registered.

I wonder how many of those ended up on eBay?

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Read that the other day as well.  People are now probably panic ordering while the LFT packs are still free.

33 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Read that the other day as well.  People are now probably panic ordering while the LFT packs are still free.

In Hornchurch there is a table full of them outside Sainsbury every day just being handed out.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

To be honest, the huge discrepancy doesn’t surprise me at all. What amuses me about all this is that you test yourself, report the negative result and a couple of days later, they send you a text to tell you that the result of the test is negative, as if you didn’t know.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Isn't the problem that when you order them, you get 7!

I felt a bit groggy, so ordered the test.  All OK. What do i do with the other 6 ?

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Isn't the problem that when you order them, you get 7!

I felt a bit groggy, so ordered the test.  All OK. What do i do with the other 6 ?

Keep them for next time you feel groggy or for testing in the couple of weeks before you cruise. My current pack has a use by date of June 2023

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Keep them for next time you feel groggy or for testing in the couple of weeks before you cruise. My current pack has a use by date of June 2023

Exactky - and that is why 600 million are unused.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Exactky - and that is why 600 million are unused.

The last batch remained unused because I could not get the foil of the test vials so went back to the chemist and yes, lots of people report the same problem. Used 3 1/2 packs so far. 

another explanation may be that you get 7 tests, use one and it is negative so don't bother with the other 6