P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I've just heard from one of my friends, her 8 year old daughter is very unwell with Covid, the rest of the family at the moment have tested negative, so according to current rules, her 10 year old son should still go to school on Monday and her husband should go to work as normal, he works with special needs children. My personal opinion is that households with Covid cases should have to self isolate, especially unvaccinated children,

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I've just heard from one of my friends, her 8 year old daughter is very unwell with Covid, the rest of the family at the moment have tested negative, so according to current rules, her 10 year old son should still go to school on Monday and her husband should go to work as normal, he works with special needs children. My personal opinion is that households with Covid cases should have to self isolate, especially unvaccinated children,

Sorry to hear about your friends 8 year old daughter being very poorly with Covid Sarah.

I absolutely agree with your comments.

Graham.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

You can test positive for weeks after contracting but it becomes non-infectious after 10 days.Our daughter and her family were told this.Normal life can resume after 10 days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You can test positive for weeks after contracting but it becomes non-infectious after 10 days.Our daughter and her family were told this.Normal life can resume after 10 days.

She's only just started having symptoms so has at least another 6 or 7 days of being infectious and in the meantime her brother will be going to school not knowing if he will develop symptoms in the next few days, potentially spreading it to others. I don't think we should go back to whole year groups in schools having to self isolate for one case but I really do think household self isolation should happen. Knowing my friend she will self isolate the family other than school which is a requirement and her husband's job.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

She's only just started having symptoms so has at least another 6 or 7 days of being infectious and in the meantime her brother will be going to school not knowing if he will develop symptoms in the next few days, potentially spreading it to others. I don't think we should go back to whole year groups in schools having to self isolate for one case but I really do think household self isolation should happen. Knowing my friend she will self isolate the family other than school which is a requirement and her husband's job.

In our daughters case the whole family were positive within a few days.You are right regarding your friend.Those rules do seem wrong in her case.I think PCR is the only sure test even when not showing symptoms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

got to go to a wedding with about 100 guests in December.  Not looking forward to it at all.

Went to my sons wedding last month, about 60 guests, was in a hotel, the doors were open as we windows for service, so plenty of ventilation, the reception was in a large room with spaced out tables, windows open. 

No one went down with Covid post the wedding, 2 couples dropped out as had positive LFTs the day before, my son asked everyone to do an LFT in advance of wedding, no one objected. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

It could even be local - it can apparently be found in your area.  I only really know the Norfolk stuff, and that's fresh and seasonal.  A rare treat on the Norfolk coast. Emma (ccpm) might be a samphire lover too.

Correct but have not had for a good while

On 11/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, Snow Hill said:

Just been pinged by the app, appears I was in close contact with someone on Monday, PCR booked for this afternoon. Oh Joy!

The result is in and it was negative, means I don’t have stay at home for next 10 days and my wife doesn’t need to cancel a couple of things she has on. 

Email from area manager volunteers and staff must wear medical grade masks from today when on site, previously only applied indoors. After this episode I was going to that anyway both in and outdoors as can’t be sure visitors will keep their distance whilst on site tour. 

• Like 6

Glad to hear your result was negative Snow Hill.

At the school my daughter works at one of the children in her year group has covid and two others that have been in contact with the virus. As she has MS and is due for treatment on Tuesday she is now waiting to hear if her treatment can go ahead as she is not supposed to have been in contact with anyone 14 days prior.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I totally agree that the whole family should isolate as it just doesn't make sense for everyone else to continue as normal and potential spread the infection.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, purplesea said:

At the school my daughter works at one of the children in her year group has covid and two others that have been in contact with the virus. As she has MS and is due for treatment on Tuesday she is now waiting to hear if her treatment can go ahead as she is not supposed to have been in contact with anyone 14 days prior.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. Fingers are crossed for your daughter and that her treatment can go ahead.

Gill x

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I really hope your daughter can still have her treatment! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Correct but have not had for a good while

Pretty sure the restaurants/decent pubs in Holt will serve it when in season. If not, the small family Colchester Inns chain always have it on their menus in the summer (nearest to you are The Bucks Arms at Blickling and the Black Boys in Aylsham). On a side note I see the Christmas lights in Holt are going on tonight so I shall do my annual pilgrimage in the next couple of weeks😊

Hope she is ok and can have her treatment on Tuesday. 
I have MS too hubby wanted us to go to the cinema tonight but I don’t want to be sat in an enclosed room for three hours with loads of people I don’t know and  where they have been. I might be over cautious but I am doing what I think is right for me. Don’t get me wrong I do go out just been in an enclosed space I am uncomfortable with.

Have a nice Saturday evening everyone

Michelle

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Pretty sure the restaurants/decent pubs in Holt will serve it when in season. If not, the small family Colchester Inns chain always have it on their menus in the summer (nearest to you are The Bucks Arms at Blickling and the Black Boys in Aylsham). On a side note I see the Christmas lights in Holt are going on tonight so I shall do my annual pilgrimage in the next couple of weeks😊

Dun Cow at Salthouse or Jolly Sailors at Brancaster are suggestions

10 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Hope she is ok and can have her treatment on Tuesday. 
I have MS too hubby wanted us to go to the cinema tonight but I don’t want to be sat in an enclosed room for three hours with loads of people I don’t know and  where they have been. I might be over cautious but I am doing what I think is right for me. Don’t get me wrong I do go out just been in an enclosed space I am uncomfortable with.

Have a nice Saturday evening everyone

Michelle

I completely understand. I had my flu jab today , as much to protect her (she is living with us) as for myself.

Going back a few posts, samphire down here on the North Cornish coast and near me at Godrevy Head. 

I have my neice's wedding coming up in December and understand everyone's concerns with attending regarding numbers. We are not going to the one we have as it is Sicily and although we have looked into going we would have to fly out from Luton and back into Stanstead (or vice versa) and flights are only on certain days, the date makes it awkward as it is too near Christmas. We also have a cruise booked in January which makes things even tighter.

4 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Dun Cow at Salthouse or Jolly Sailors at Brancaster are suggestions

Not keen on the menu at the Dun Cow, but that's subjective of course. Not been to Jolly Sailors, so thank you for the suggestion. 

I totally agree that the whole family should isolate as it just doesn't make sense for everyone else to continue as normal and potential spread the infection.

I thought the rule was that in these situations you went for a PCR test and if negative there was no need to self isolate.

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Not keen on the menu at the Dun Cow, but that's subjective of course. Not been to Jolly Sailors, so thank you for the suggestion. 

Nelsons Shanty Men meet on a Monday night for rehearsal at the Jolly Sailors ,good bunch of guys working to raise money for charities.They have an on line web site with samples!

Edited by mercury7289
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I’d add the White Horse at Brancaster Staithe to that list too. Same ownership as the Jolly Sailors, but different atmosphere. Nice staff, great friendly service, good food, and a nice big car park leading to a footpath and a great coastal walk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Went to my sons wedding last month, about 60 guests, was in a hotel, the doors were open as we windows for service, so plenty of ventilation, the reception was in a large room with spaced out tables, windows open. 

No one went down with Covid post the wedding, 2 couples dropped out as had positive LFTs the day before, my son asked everyone to do an LFT in advance of wedding, no one objected. 

We’ve all been asked to test ourselves beforehand too. There will be over 100 guests of all ages, many of them 75+ who feel the cold/draughts so unlikely to have many windows open by the seaside in Wales in December! I can’t help thinking of the last wedding we attended, summer 2019. We were outside most of the day, apart from the meal itself, and even that could have been held outdoors as it was a buffet and the weather was glorious. I feel sorry for my niece, she booked the date/venues pre-Covid and everyone’s a pack of nerves just hoping that everything goes ahead! The important individuals concerned have been trying to self-isolate since middle of last week, and the rest of us are being super careful. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What's to do then? Is everyone having a lie in this beautiful sunny morning?

Morning everyone, a beautiful start to the day here.Just had breakfast in bed and just had a shower.  
We tidied up the back garden yesterday abd put things away for the Winter, doing the front garden today. My mum is coming round after lunch, we are having a roast for tea tonight.

Have a lovely day everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What's to do then? Is everyone having a lie in this beautiful sunny morning?

No lie in here sadly.
Just back from walking the dog before going for my booster.

A beautiful sunny autumnal morning here in Dorset……

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.

• Like 4