P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

We will be spending 4 days next week at Warner’s in Nottinghamshire. Not sure whether it is Turkey and Tinsel (hopefully not because it is only November) but good to know it will be warm. 

It seems it is Martinis and Mistletoe which sounds a little ominous. 🫣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

We will be spending 4 days next week at Warner’s in Nottinghamshire. Not sure whether it is Turkey and Tinsel (hopefully not because it is only November) but good to know it will be warm. 

Well we went to a local garden centre today and Christmas was in full swing. Came home and neighbour next door but one had the Christmas stuff up in the window .............. merry Christmas !!!!!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It's a nice one.. Reminds me of Downton Abbey.

• Like 1

At last a sensible answer to keep warm this winter... the Brockham Bonfire parade!

_DSC2455.thumb.jpeg.fd8c650ade4691f2ca9a5c2984c66bb3.jpeg

A chance to huddle around the bonfire...

_DSC3283.thumb.jpg.b02dd2112f5ab4b94a63b130e552d9e0.jpg

Roast a pig or two...

_DSC2223.thumb.jpg.2a8e5c71c2136d9e2e8109e80a5dc269.jpg

For those who like the squibs... the biggest display in the UK... and the rain held off!

_DSC3177.thumb.jpeg.327a383a38e336ec50f165ff2f6cf1a7.jpeg

And for all those who appreciate their food... dinner in the local pub.

IMG_6251.thumb.jpeg.7ea6c1c4ad4cdcef7db53e7939487874.jpeg

IMG_6256.thumb.jpeg.f6e72108e3caa1f9874a23bcd3975562.jpeg

IMG_6274.thumb.jpeg.620a2e15746615244f2e40d2ffb972e7.jpeg

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

At last a sensible answer to keep warm this winter... the Brockham Bonfire parade!

_DSC2455.thumb.jpeg.fd8c650ade4691f2ca9a5c2984c66bb3.jpeg

A chance to huddle around the bonfire...

_DSC3283.thumb.jpg.b02dd2112f5ab4b94a63b130e552d9e0.jpg

Roast a pig or two...

_DSC2223.thumb.jpg.2a8e5c71c2136d9e2e8109e80a5dc269.jpg

For those who like the squibs... the biggest display in the UK... and the rain held off!

_DSC3177.thumb.jpeg.327a383a38e336ec50f165ff2f6cf1a7.jpeg

And for all those who appreciate their food... dinner in the local pub.

IMG_6251.thumb.jpeg.7ea6c1c4ad4cdcef7db53e7939487874.jpeg

IMG_6256.thumb.jpeg.f6e72108e3caa1f9874a23bcd3975562.jpeg

IMG_6274.thumb.jpeg.620a2e15746615244f2e40d2ffb972e7.jpeg

Did they find the witch?You were lucky with the weather,looks good.

16 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Did they find the witch?You were lucky with the weather,looks good.

We had a light drizzle instead of the expected heavy rain that arrived late and fell overnight.

The "witch" is an effigy of Guy Faulks which is paraded through the village on a cart by folks in Elizabethan dress. He's taken to the bonfire followed by hundreds of torch bearers... anyone can join on the night. The Guy is carried to the top and then the torch bearers form a huge circle and all throw their torches into the base of the bonfire on a given signal. It's the biggest bonfire in Britain. The earliest photo dates way back to at least 1888 but the bonfire and probably began in the early 1600s... which is when our family were active in the area... brewers and had a pub!  

Over the last few years the Bonfire Society has raised almost £ half a million for good causes. It's difficult to fully imaging just what that amount of love and kindness from just one tiny village means to so many people in the surrounding community.

Individual Fireworks are often sponsored and dedicated to people who've departed recently... what a way to be remembered! 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We had a light drizzle instead of the expected heavy rain that arrived late and fell overnight.

The "witch" is an effigy of Guy Faulks which is paraded through the village on a cart by folks in Elizabethan dress. He's taken to the bonfire followed by hundreds of torch bearers... anyone can join on the night. The Guy is carried to the top and then the torch bearers form a huge circle and all throw their torches into the base of the bonfire on a given signal. It's the biggest bonfire in Britain. The earliest photo dates way back to at least 1888 but the bonfire and probably began in the early 1600s... which is when our family were active in the area... brewers and had a pub!  

Over the last few years the Bonfire Society has raised almost £ half a million for good causes. It's difficult to fully imaging just what that amount of love and kindness from just one tiny village means to so many people in the surrounding community.

Individual Fireworks are often sponsored and dedicated to people who've departed recently... what a way to be remembered! 

That bonfire is like the illegal ones we had as kids.In Dagenham there are culdesacs we called banjos and everyone including adults used to build one like yours in the round bit at the end only yards from the front doors.The council were never happy, it melted the road.The good old early 60s,lol.

• Like 2

Update on delivery of my new car from dealership, it’s been completed and is on boat to UK will arrive mid January. Dealer is confused the car was built at a factory in Northern France, so should only take a short time to get here, he will chasing up the delivery time this week.

Perhaps the car is having a 2 month cruise to relax after all that hard work on the production line. 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Eddie99 said:

If I has never done so, this picture wouldn’t tempt me to start cruising 😬

What about you?

05E945B5-777F-4688-B606-FEF298F38DC7.thumb.jpeg.ef4975df75e90418f01d9df06531a079.jpeg

I've been part-time this week and missed Graham's post so will respond now.

Whilst - as you all know - I'm not one for the big ships, I've always thought that RCI ships somehow retained a fairly sleek, almost elegant shape. They've obviously now broken that mould.

Looks hideous imho...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, pete14 said:

Ah, the lovely Thorseby Hall. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Good evening everyone I’m back off my ventures on Arcadia, we had a lovely cruise some hot weather and lovely ports except missing Mykonos due to some winds they said but mainly the pilot refused us to dock so we had extra time in Rodes which we stayed the night .

The ship was looking a bit tired in some areas but didn’t bother us , the staff were fantastic , food was good and hot , ocean grill was a big let down in food wise not up to standard, we had a better steak in the meridian restaurant so cancelled our next two appointments with them .

It was very nice to meet up with some fellow cc members silkworms ( Terri) thank you very much for turning up it’s nice to meet in person.

What entertainment we went to which was most of them was all good , I think we missed about 4 shows due to tiredness.

Finally we bumped into some friends we meet on Arcadia 4 years ago 2 days into the cruise which was fantastic again to see them and in due course met up most evenings to have a pre dinner drink with them and even go to the silent disco which was great fun .

Hope you have all been well while I’ve been away , I’m trying to catch on a few pages later tonight.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good evening everyone I’m back off my ventures on Arcadia, we had a lovely cruise some hot weather and lovely ports except missing Mykonos due to some winds they said but mainly the pilot refused us to dock so we had extra time in Rodes which we stayed the night .

The ship was looking a bit tired in some areas but didn’t bother us , the staff were fantastic , food was good and hot , ocean grill was a big let down in food wise not up to standard, we had a better steak in the meridian restaurant so cancelled our next two appointments with them .

It was very nice to meet up with some fellow cc members silkworms ( Terri) thank you very much for turning up it’s nice to meet in person.

What entertainment we went to which was most of them was all good , I think we missed about 4 shows due to tiredness.

Finally we bumped into some friends we meet on Arcadia 4 years ago 2 days into the cruise which was fantastic again to see them and in due course met up most evenings to have a pre dinner drink with them and even go to the silent disco which was great fun .

Hope you have all been well while I’ve been away , I’m trying to catch on a few pages later tonight.

I'm pleased to hear you had a great time.

Graham.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good to see you back after what looks like a fun cruise.  The very best part of cruising is all the nice people you meet.  It would be really nice to meet up with some fellow CC members.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I've been part-time this week and missed Graham's post so will respond now.

Whilst - as you all know - I'm not one for the big ships, I've always thought that RCI ships somehow retained a fairly sleek, almost elegant shape. They've obviously now broken that mould.

Looks hideous imho...

Icon of the seas looks fantastic for children, teenagers and young adults but not for us especially with my arthritis.

Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships are perfect for us with Central park being a favourite part of this class of ship for us.

Graham.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Glad you enjoyed Arcadia, we will be boarding Wednesday pending a negative covid test. How full was the ship on your cruise?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Icon of the seas looks fantastic for children, teenagers and young adults but not for us especially with my arthritis.

Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships are perfect for us with Central park being a favourite part of this class of ship for us.

Graham.

Totally agree Graham, Icon is a bit too much for us too

Michelle

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Glad you enjoyed Arcadia, we will be boarding Wednesday pending a negative covid test. How full was the ship on your cruise?

It was 1,600 passengers about 70% full one officer said and it seemed like it , no saving sun beds, no fighting for theatre seats and not too busy at the lunch time buffet, I was on 2nd fixed seating and table for two in a lovely spot , but there was many , many problems with the app for people on dine my way some waiting 1 1/2 hours and very long queues due to people just turning up , but I think after the first week it settled down but a lot had changed to fixed dining then .

Enjoy your cruise on Wednesday and fingers crossed for a negative test .

While on our cruise we had 1 helicopter evacuation, 1 coast guard evacuation, and a few ambulances waiting on shoreside my best wishes to a healthy speedy recovery for all .

There was also by the end of the first week plenty of coughing/ sneezing people around and has the cruise went on I found more people wearing the mask .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I have no doubt it will provide a very good Royal Caribbean experience but to my eyes it is aesthetically a mess...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I have no doubt it will provide a very good Royal Caribbean experience but to my eyes it is aesthetically a mess...

I agree it's not the most pleasing cruise ship profile, but RCI have always managed in the past to produce new ships that passengers seemed to love. So I am fairly confident that this new class will also turn out to be a winner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree it's not the most pleasing cruise ship profile, but RCI have always managed in the past to produce new ships that passengers seemed to love. So I am fairly confident that this new class will also turn out to be a winner.

Yes, I am sure it will. They are a very popular and successful line.