P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

We'll wait and see.

Personally, I know that things can go awry, and a personal apology is all that is required. Anything else is nice, but unnecessary.

We all know that things can and do go wrong and I agree that a personal apology is all that is required.  After our breakfast problem courtesy of uncontrolled children we were contacted by the restaurant manager and offered a dinner in Sabatini's which we accepted. 

We will be back on this ship in June and are hoping for a more peaceful experience.

I hope that you get an equally good outcome.

We have decided that we will go to Sabatini's one evening on our next cruise because it is really well worth the cost.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4

On 4/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, grapau27 said:

A nice bottle of wine delivered to your table is the minimum they should do imo.

We were given a very nice bottle of wine tonight.

So, things went wrong, apologies given, and a gesture in the form of a good bottle of red wine.

Good customer service in my book, and am quite happy.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So, things went wrong, apologies given, and a gesture in the form of a good bottle of red wine.

That is great news wowzz.

I'm pleased for you both that Princess customer service have given you a nice bottle of red wine to make up for their poor restaurant service you received.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

But not really of much real benefit to you,  since you have the drinks package.

Morning 🙂 A bit of a chilly start this morning 2.c and risen to 4.c in the last hour .

They say the warmer weather is due back over the weekend , hope so .

Does anyone go on those sites " Movie stars , how they look now "

I was a big fan of Star Wars but shocked to see this photo 😉

Off to drink gallons of water as today the NHS will attempt to get me to part with 

some blood again . Take care 🙂

66331-754208f0-cc59-4bdd-bf38-2416dfa97317.jpg.f953141598ae6a32e4c71ba0dd81c4e1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

That is a posh chippie, doing skate.  You don't get that round  here.  One of my favourites, though usually with melted butter  and capers, and the best bit is how easy it is to get off the bone.

Pretty standard fare in the south - as you say, though, far less so further north.  We used to get it occasionally from Waitrose, along with Dover Sole as a treat, but we now get a weekly visit from a fish van selling really good fresh fish, including proper Grimsby smoked haddock (not the yellow stuff). As the guy running the smokery says - never eat yellow snow or yellow smoked haddock!

They won’t touch cod anywhere near Grimsby either - they know it too well!  Always, always haddock.

With you entirely on the skate!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But not really of much real benefit to you,  since you have the drinks package.

Actually, it was quite a benefit, as the wine was vastly superior to the plonk you get on the package.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Pretty standard fare in the south - as you say, though, far less so further north.  We used to get it occasionally from Waitrose, along with Dover Sole as a treat, but we now get a weekly visit from a fish van selling really good fresh fish, including proper Grimsby smoked haddock (not the yellow stuff). As the guy running the smokery says - never eat yellow snow or yellow smoked haddock!

They won’t touch cod anywhere near Grimsby either - they know it too well!  Always, always haddock.

With you entirely on the skate!

Hi Harry and LL,we normally avoid deep fried fish and chips to stay healthy but that was good.We used to use that chippie a lot years ago.Fish like Rock used to be cheap are now dearer than cod.I remember a chippie van in Keighley years ago.All they sold was fish,no description,lol.Brian.PS still cheaper than a Ruby or Chinese.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi Harry and LL,we normally avoid deep fried fish and chips to stay healthy but that was good.We used to use that chippie a lot years ago.Fish like Rock used to be cheap are now dearer than cod.I remember a chippie van in Keighley years ago.All they sold was fish,no description,lol.Brian.PS still cheaper than a Ruby or Chinese.

Nothing wrong with the occasional fish and chips, Brian!  The Keighley van was almost certainly haddock - very much the standard in the north.  A lot of people won't eat cod, because it's considered a dirty fish and contains worms.

Pangasius (aka Basa) is getting more common and sometimes sold as haddock, fraudulently.  Whether it's safe to eat depends very much on the source - the Pangasius my wife was given in a restaurant near Covent Garden made her so ill that she collapsed on the floor in Liberty not long afterwards.  They owned up to the fact after a couple of emails and very kindly offered to pay all her medical bills!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

That’s a nice gesture 

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nothing wrong with the occasional fish and chips, Brian!  The Keighley van was almost certainly haddock - very much the standard in the north.  A lot of people won't eat cod, because it's considered a dirty fish and contains worms.

Pangasius (aka Basa) is getting more common and sometimes sold as haddock, fraudulently.  Whether it's safe to eat depends very much on the source - the Pangasius my wife was given in a restaurant near Covent Garden made her so ill that she collapsed on the floor in Liberty not long afterwards.  They owned up to the fact after a couple of emails and very kindly offered to pay all her medical bills!

We never, knowingly, eat Basa. Just not worth taking the risk.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think that used to be called Vietnamese river cobbler.I read stories about it containing toxins from industry there.I've never touched it even though they changed the name,lol,Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

In Scotland it is usually/often the case that it is either single fish supper or double fish supper on offer at the chippie...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I think that used to be called Vietnamese river cobbler.I read stories about it containing toxins from industry there.I've never touched it even though they changed the name,lol,Brian.

That's the one, Brian.  It's all over the place now, including a lot of supermarket fish dishes.  To be fair, it does depend very much on the source of supply, but you certainly don't want to be eating any that was sourced in the far east.  

• Like 1

Just pillaged our freezer and managed to rustle up 2 Ruby's for tonight.Our favourite takeaway does "happy nights" where they offer 1 of almost everything for 12 quid.We have 2 of those and end up with loads left over to freeze.So it's a "free" takeaway tonight.

• Like 3

Well today we are managing a Fundraising Auction for a charity golf day being held at Turnberry Golf Club. Yesterday we managed an auction at Aintree Racecourse and we drove up from there.

What a stunning place Turnberry is. Regularly voted number 1 golf course in the world. Owned by Donald Trump but don't let that put you off! I'm typing this from the Clubhouse. Not a bad view from here. Ive also posted a picture of the hotel. Cheapest room tonight 512 for bed and breakfast! 

Ps how do you rotate images on here?

So sorry mine go sideways!

IMG_20230414_1550349.jpg

IMG_20230414_1545071.jpg

• Like 3

We like to enjoy ourselves when working away so this morning we went to a village called Daillie where I had read about a short walk by a river through a woodland track which leads to a deserted castle and mansion. So I knew what was coming. My wife had no idea. Imagine going on a walk and arriving here without expecting it. (We had it to ourselves)

My wife was stunned when we turned a corner and found this incredible place entirely deserted!

IMG-20230414-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0006.jpg

• Like 16

Then we look a short drive to Girvan for fish and chips next to the beach. 

One of the finest beaches you could wish to see in the UK. Would not think we were in Scotland in April that's for sure!!

Travelling to the legendary Torridon Hotel tomorrow. For 3 nights holiday. Cannot wait. It's another 4 hrs drive north of here!

IMG-20230414-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20230414-WA0011.jpg

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well today we are managing a Fundraising Auction for a charity golf day being held at Turnberry Golf Club. Yesterday we managed an auction at Aintree Racecourse and we drove up from there.

What a stunning place Turnberry is. Regularly voted number 1 golf course in the world. Owned by Donald Trump but don't let that put you off! I'm typing this from the Clubhouse. Not a bad view from here. Ive also posted a picture of the hotel. Cheapest room tonight 512 for bed and breakfast! 

Ps how do you rotate images on here?

So sorry mine go sideways!

IMG_20230414_1550349.jpg

IMG_20230414_1545071.jpg

Perhaps that's why it's called Turnberry.

• Haha 4