P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Good evening everyone, hope you have all had a nice Easter.

We are back from out TA on Arvia, we had a lovely time and we liked the ship.

The food was lovely, we ate in MDR, Epicurean, Green & Co(exceptional), Sindhu, Limelight Club x2, The Beach House. 

Our cabin was good one we got a new mattress put on the bed as it had practically collapsed at one side and I was getting awful backache.

Lift etiquette wasn’t too bad from a disabled point of view with most people giving me time to get in the lifts, but I have to say they are the smallest lifts I have seen on a cruise ship,

The weather from Tenerife wasn’t good with 7 metre swells, thankfully we were both ok.

We met up three times with one of our CC Members, Jennizor and her husband, lovely to put a face to a name.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

I agree with you regarding the lifts Michelle, and I have no idea why they are so small, if you check the gap between lifts, there must be ample room to fit lifts about 50%+ wider than the current ones.

• Like 3

Well good morning to everyone, I think you are all having a lay-in it’s very quiet here.

Its bright and sunny out and the birds are sing , since a few hours ago actually which woke me up.

Anyway I brought what looks like a foot torture chamber 😂 but it certainly isn’t, I have had plantar fasciitis for 10 months now along with heel spurs, and been in quite some considerable pain first thing in the mornings and during the day , but hence all my stretches and correct footwear it has never got better, so I brought a foot brace for this after watching a lot of YouTube videos of others experience and after wearing it for 1 night I was pain free in the morning when I got up and also this morning !! I am amazed at how quickly this has worked , it’s not too uncomfortable to wear at night so I will see how long I need to wear it before it’s fully healed but it’s certainly going on the plane with me tomorrow, squeezing it in my hand luggage 😁.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

My life saver 😂😂

IMG_5519.jpeg

Our daughter took the kids to the Tower of London yesterday.They didn't see that there,lol.Have a good flight Purdey.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Morning 6.c and bright this morning ,looks like it could stay dry .

We had the pleasure of a visit from our Granddaughter with our lovely 

Great grand daughter who we was warned that she don't take kindly 

to men , so don't be upset if she won't come to you .

Well I called her name and she looked towards me instantly with 

a big smile and was happy to sit with me for hours.

So she hadn't forgot me 🙂

Hope @Purdey16  your foot gets better and you have a great holiday .

That photo looks a lot like the top of a platform sole stack heel boot that

the girls wore in the 70's 😃

Everyone have a good day -Take care .

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Our forecast is for "Wet, Wet, Wet." for the foreseeable future but currently enjoying sun through a gap in the clouds... and the warmth is streaming into our study. We'll take as much of that as we can get!

Ages ago there was a long chat about energy usage and prices. We've now sorted out all of our figures for the last 4 years... the amount that we've used has dropped by about 20%... so the replacement windows and new fans in the kitchen and bathroom have more than paid for themselves.💰🤓💰😀

Best Wishes to all.

• Like 9

Got back from Iona on saturday. Never again. Food hit and miss. Couldn't get a seat anywhere, spent most of our fortnight in our cabin. Disembarkation absolute chaos. When we were going down the ramps to collect our luggage I looked over the side was like a cattle market. Took us an hour to find our luggage (and we kept to our timed disembarkation). Alot of people were not happy when we got our keys for the car we both said the experience had put us off cruising. I never thought we would say that. If we do cruise again it will be with another line. Have sailed various lines over the years, mostly cunard, and never had this problem. It seems p&o want to pack as many in as possible and then forget about them once you have paid your money.

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

Got back from Iona on saturday. Never again. Food hit and miss. Couldn't get a seat anywhere, spent most of our fortnight in our cabin. Disembarkation absolute chaos. When we were going down the ramps to collect our luggage I looked over the side was like a cattle market. Took us an hour to find our luggage (and we kept to our timed disembarkation). Alot of people were not happy when we got our keys for the car we both said the experience had put us off cruising. I never thought we would say that. If we do cruise again it will be with another line. Have sailed various lines over the years, mostly cunard, and never had this problem. It seems p&o want to pack as many in as possible and then forget about them once you have paid your money.

Sorry to hear that. I know from experience that Iona can be choc-a-block during school holidays so that probably meant that your cruise too was crowded. However it didn’t put me off as I quite liked Iona and our next cruise is on her, but during term time!  

1 hour ago, delgirl said:

We were also on this cruise and agree with some of your comments. We thought the food quality was reasonably good, but the choice was limited for for non veggies, which is probably 90% of passengers.

Disembarkation was poor, not helped by the 90 minute delay in arrival time, I have given my views on this elsewhere.

We did not experience your problems with finding a seat, possibly helped because my wife sits in her wheelchair, but the reluctance of most people to share with others leaves lots of empty single chairs. 

Despite the poor weather we really enjoyed the cruise, and met many interesting dinner companions.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Just returned from our first cruise on Ventura although have travelled on several Princess Grand class ships. 
Weather was not brilliant but was good in Oporto which was a new destination for us. Think @happy v was on this cruise as well. 
We felt the food was fine in the MDR, selection good and various vegetables.  We had freedom dining on a table for two and sometimes ate early and other times had a pager. 
We had two nicely spiced meals in Sindhu and also ate twice in Epicurean. 
Facecloths were no longer available. Drinks selection was limited especially cocktails. Embarkation at 2.15 was good and disembarkation ok but haphazard. We don’t do shows so can’t comment on that. The piano player Tony Williams was especially good and we were surprised that the Metropolis was a good substitute for the Crows Nest. Did miss having any classical players. There was one speaker but it clashed with other things. Lots of craft classes. 
All in all a lovely cruise and we shall going on Ventura again in the future. 

Yes, you are right we have just returned from Ventura. We had a fabulous time and thought all the food was very good. I only had one mediocre meal. Like you we went to Sindhu twice and I had the best fillet steak I have ever had. Perfectly spiced and cooked. Our steward, C deck, had a laundry bag with face cloths in it. We were very lucky with embarkation and disembarkation. No problem with either. We travel by coach and I wish all my cruises left on Sunday.

I'm glad you had a good time and will be cruising with P&O again 

Edited by happy v
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, delgirl said:

Sorry to hear about your experience on Iona, we were on Arvia following you I believe. I have to say our experience was completely different, could always find somewhere to sit and the food was good. 

It was busy in the lifts on disembarkation day but that’s always the case on any ship. As a disabled passenger I was expecting problems but it was a very smooth procedure and straight to our coach for journey to Manchester 

Michelle

• Like 8

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Yes, you are right we have just returned from Ventura. We had a fabulous time and thought all the food was very good. I only had one mediocre meal. Like you we went to Sindhu twice and I had the best fillet steak I have ever had. Perfectly spiced and cooked. Our steward, C deck, had a laundry bag with face cloths in it. We were very lucky with embarkation and disembarkation. No problem with either. We travel by coach and I wish all my cruises left on Sunday.

I'm glad you had a good time and will be cruising with P&O again 

Our steward was new and maybe the old hands have collected all the face cloths and keep their own little stash. Likewise we found the travel home on a Sunday was great. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Sorry to hear that. I know from experience that Iona can be choc-a-block during school holidays so that probably meant that your cruise too was crowded. However it didn’t put me off as I quite liked Iona and our next cruise is on her, but during term time!  

Wasn't in the school holidays got back day before easter, departed 16 march. There were children onboard but only about 400.

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear about your experience on Iona, we were on Arvia following you I believe. I have to say our experience was completely different, could always find somewhere to sit and the food was good. 

It was busy in the lifts on disembarkation day but that’s always the case on any ship. As a disabled passenger I was expecting problems but it was a very smooth procedure and straight to our coach for journey to Manchester 

Michelle

They got the coach passengers off 1st after self disembarkation. We left just after 10 and departed car park at 12. Thats how bad it was. Finally managed to find luggage up the far wall, hubby tried to get through queue with trolley asked politely if he could come through the gentleman (and I use that term loosely) said no. My hubby said I only want to collect my luggage not jump the queue so he reluctantly let him though. Should have seen hubbies face he was flabbergasted🤣

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We were also on this cruise and agree with some of your comments. We thought the food quality was reasonably good, but the choice was limited for for non veggies, which is probably 90% of passengers.

Disembarkation was poor, not helped by the 90 minute delay in arrival time, I have given my views on this elsewhere.

We did not experience your problems with finding a seat, possibly helped because my wife sits in her wheelchair, but the reluctance of most people to share with others leaves lots of empty single chairs. 

Despite the poor weather we really enjoyed the cruise, and met many interesting dinner companions.

Yes we met some very nice table mates which was a good job as I think I might have cried if there had been some awkward ones. Can't complain about the company just some of the food.

5 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Our steward was new and maybe the old hands have collected all the face cloths and keep their own little stash. Likewise we found the travel home on a Sunday was great. 

I wondered if everyone had set off for their easter break on Friday or Saturday, we have never seen the main routes as quiet for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, delgirl said:

They got the coach passengers off 1st after self disembarkation. We left just after 10 and departed car park at 12. Thats how bad it was. Finally managed to find luggage up the far wall, hubby tried to get through queue with trolley asked politely if he could come through the gentleman (and I use that term loosely) said no. My hubby said I only want to collect my luggage not jump the queue so he reluctantly let him though. Should have seen hubbies face he was flabbergasted🤣

This is the reason why I prefer the fresh disembarkation labels that are coloured and have a time code on them. If you then disembark as they announce your colour the luggage is all in the same place, and since the earliest disembarkation luggage is at the luggage hall entrance, then the hall empties towards the exit avoiding the rugby scrum that is the P&O experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, delgirl said:

Wasn't in the school holidays got back day before easter, departed 16 march. There were children onboard but only about 400.

Your second week would have been school holidays in Wales. Easter weekend is always the middle weekend of the fortnight break here. 

9 hours ago, delgirl said:

It sounds like you didn’t have the best experience leaving the ship. You just can’t believe how unhelpful some people are can you? “Be Kind” seems to bypass some people

Michelle

• Like 6

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today. It’s looking a bit if a damp and rainy morning here today.

I have three grandchildren staying with us for a few days which is nice, they are all still asleep.

We took them to Pizza Express for tea last night. They are going to help me with a Tesco shop this morning then I am taking them to Clip and Climb this afternoon.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 11

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

This is the reason why I prefer the fresh disembarkation labels that are coloured and have a time code on them. If you then disembark as they announce your colour the luggage is all in the same place, and since the earliest disembarkation luggage is at the luggage hall entrance, then the hall empties towards the exit avoiding the rugby scrum that is the P&O experience.

+1

Our experience of leaving Ventura after our 35 night January/February cruise was awful - trying to find luggage in the scrum that ensued, made worse by the fact that people probably had more cases than normal.  I agree with you about fresh disembarkation labels being a much better system.

If disembarking in the UK, we generally self-disembark as DH wants to be off from the car park at the first opportunity and so have not experienced this before with P&O. This time we were on a coach and so went with the ship's arrangement to put out luggage the night before.  When disembarking in other countries (never with P&O), we are unlikely to be in such a rush to get off and go with the ship's 'fresh labels' approach and have never had the experience we had in February.

• Like 6

Good morning 10.c dull and damp here .

One of those days of feeling a bit washed out like the weather .

Checked my BP /o2 levels and everything is boringly normal so nowt

to worry about,just one of those off days today.

Hope you are all having a good day take care .🙂

• Like 11

Good Morning All Friends

10c here this morning and raining - again.

I hope everyone is well today. Try not to watch the news - it's even more depressing than normal.

I used to be an avid news watcher who would worry about anything and everything. My April '24 resolution now is only worry about things you can change and bin the rest.

Have a lovely day everyone. Be well and happy. Best wishes always. Jane xx

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1