P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, things here have gone downhill weather wise and otherwise!

On Monday John was on his day off so he picked me up from work and we went to Bluewater for a late lunch and a bit of shopping. Got home about 4.30pm (after leaving the house at 7.30am) Five minutes later got a call from mum’s home, she was having trouble with her breathing and they’d sent her to hospital!

So … got to see her in resus , they’d stabilised her and got her on fluids and oxygen. Said they’d look to get her onto a ward the next day.

Tuesday they’d moved her to ‘majors’ which is sort of an overspill to A&E, it’s like hell on earth! It’s packed and noisy. We couldn’t get any info out of anyone - I fed her a yogurt which was the only thing she’d eaten all day 😡

No sign of space in a ward.

Yesterday I phoned at 6am (seems best time to get through!) and they said she was ok but still not on a ward. Walking home from work I get a call from the Home telling me she’d arrived back to the home on hospital transport!! They had not called me to tell me! If the home had not called me we’d have being going to the hospital to visit! 

Obviously pleased she was back we rushed up there to find her sitting in her chair in the lounge treated like visiting royalty! The staff thought she looked a bit rough but we said she looked so much better than when she was in the hospital. What a performance!!

Sounds like she's better off in the home Sue.A lot of older people seem to get worse in hospital.Do you have an LPA for her,would that give you more control of what happens.Brian.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On Monday John was on his day off so he picked me up from work and we went to Bluewater for a late lunch and a bit of shopping. Got home about 4.30pm (after leaving the house at 7.30am) Five minutes later got a call from mum’s home, she was having trouble with her breathing and they’d sent her to hospital!

So … got to see her in resus , they’d stabilised her and got her on fluids and oxygen. Said they’d look to get her onto a ward the next day.

Tuesday they’d moved her to ‘majors’ which is sort of an overspill to A&E, it’s like hell on earth! It’s packed and noisy. We couldn’t get any info out of anyone - I fed her a yogurt which was the only thing she’d eaten all day 😡

Yesterday I phoned at 6am (seems best time to get through!) and they said she was ok but still not on a ward. Walking home from work I get a call from the Home telling me she’d arrived back to the home on hospital transport!! They had not called me to tell me! If the home had not called me we’d have being going to the hospital to visit! 

Obviously pleased she was back we rushed up there to find her sitting in her chair in the lounge treated like visiting royalty! The staff thought she looked a bit rough but we said she looked so much better than when she was in the hospital. What a performance!!

What a worry. Glad to hear that she is back in her home and she continues to improve

• Like 6

Good Morning,

Shh, the sun is shining 😲 and supposed to stay that way until this evening, although not very warm. 

Waited in all day for my son's parcel yesterday and also had one delivered here for my daughter, who has informed me there is another being delivered today. I feel like a sorting office with the number of parcels and letters we get delivered here them.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sounds like she is back in the right place.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Sounds like she's better off in the home Sue.A lot of older people seem to get worse in hospital.Do you have an LPA for her,would that give you more control of what happens.Brian.

I do indeed have an LPA!

Anyway the nurse at the Home suggested to me yesterday if all they do is give her antibiotics they can do that there. She said to talk to mum and get back to her but it sounds good to me. They have their own GP so she said they could get him to prescribe it.

I couldn’t confirm with mum yesterday as when I came out from talking to the nurse the carers were taking her for a shower and she looked shattered so we went home. John and I think it sounds much better.

This is instead of just sending her to hospital each time.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds like she is back in the right place.

Absolutely! The two ladies who arrange the entertainment are the ones who see my mum the most . I told them yesterday my mum calls the residents’inmates’!! One of them replied ‘oh I love her even more!’ 😁

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

That all looks yummy Graham.  Is Sarah well?  Is her new friendship progressing?  I remember you talked of her “young mam” a while back.

It’s a sunny morning here.  Always nice to wake up to clear blue sky.  Polls open in half an hour.  I get my vein procedure this morning (eek) and that’s all the plans I’ve made for today.  We’ll see how it pans out.

Hope everyone has a good day

Thank you.

She is happy and her new boyfriend is good for her.

Good luck with your vein procedure today.

12°C and sunny here at the moment.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sending you and your dear mam our best wishes Sue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning

Happy Election Day.

I also have a postal vote but the trouble is, I've changed my mind a few times since sending it off last week. Not good. Hopefully I'll still be alive next time there's an election and I will change back to an on-the-day vote. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Anyone staying up to watch the results coming in?

@Eddie99 Good luck with your vein procedure today. I have no idea what it is but hope it's not painful.

@P&O SUE sorry to hear about your to-ing and fro-ing with mum. Majors sounds like a nightmare. I had an exact same scenario with my mum before she passed - almost every day came a call about a fall or a fainting episode and an ambulance being called. In the end she was happiest in the care home - hospital was neither effective nor useful and she was desperately unhappy. Warm and safe in the care home she responded well. I feel for you Sue.

@grapau27 Lovely news about Sarah's new boyfriend Graham. I hope she flourishes in her relationship. Good luck to her.

Have a good day everyone. Jane xx

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning

Happy Election Day.

I also have a postal vote but the trouble is, I've changed my mind a few times since sending it off last week. Not good. Hopefully I'll still be alive next time there's an election and I will change back to an on-the-day vote. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Anyone staying up to watch the results coming in?

@Eddie99 Good luck with your vein procedure today. I have no idea what it is but hope it's not painful.

@P&O SUE sorry to hear about your to-ing and fro-ing with mum. Majors sounds like a nightmare. I had an exact same scenario with my mum before she passed - almost every day came a call about a fall or a fainting episode and an ambulance being called. In the end she was happiest in the care home - hospital was neither effective nor useful and she was desperately unhappy. Warm and safe in the care home she responded well. I feel for you Sue.

@grapau27 Lovely news about Sarah's new boyfriend Graham. I hope she flourishes in her relationship. Good luck to her.

Oh !. That's today is it ?.🤣

• Haha 7

@Beckett yes, I also have a postal vote and for the first time ever, I really dithered about my vote as all parties have something in their manifestos that I disagree with (not that I’ve read them all, just bullet points). In the end I went for the candidate that I thought would best represent my area.

I will have the tv on to watch the results roll in, but the end result is not going to be a surprise!

@P&O SUE - goodness, what stress you must be under, but the home sound like a great support to you and your Mum.

@grapau27 - great news that life is good for your Sarah.

I shall be watching all the Brits playing at Wimbledon today and I’m pretty sure that in a couple of matches the Brits will win!

Gill x

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

So many frail elderly in hospital when it’s not the best place for them…

it doesn’t help anyone and , atop the personal distress, must be the wrong way to use funds?

Enough - I’m off to get lasered

Hope all goes well today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

it doesn’t help anyone and , atop the personal distress, must be the wrong way to use funds?

I suppose it's better than getting Tasered 😉 Good luck,hope all goes well . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Good luck Eddie, is it for varicose veins? John has a huge one, years ago a GP told him it wasn’t worth getting it taken out but it’s huge now and he’s rather nervous!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning

Happy Election Day.

Yes Jane, sounds very familiar. Silly us thought her going into the home would cause us less worry. As she can’t always articulate herself well it’s a real worry for us when she goes into the hospital. She’s so much better in the Home where they know her well already. 

I also keep changing my mind who to vote for, off in about half an hour to vote, at least it’s sunny for the walk!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

She is happy and her new boyfriend is good for her.

So pleased for her Graham ,as we know she has not much going her way 

in the past, apart from Pauline and you .

Maybe he will be mega good to her and whisk her away on a nice cruise .

One things for sure ,she has two excellent cruise advisors at hand .😉

Our best wishes to them ,we all love a happy ending 🙂💖

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

So pleased for her Graham ,as we know she has not much going her way 

in the past, apart from Pauline and you .

Maybe he will be mega good to her and whisk her away on a nice cruise .

One things for sure ,she has two excellent cruise advisors at hand .😉

Our best wishes to them ,we all love a happy ending 🙂💖

Thank you Kalos.

Sarah is 43 and twice married and a very pretty girl.

She does the same job as Pauline and they speak to each other several times a day.

Sadly she had unloving parents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

A sunny morning here with a brisk wind and a temperature of 9C, is really July?

We have postal votes, haven’t changed it back after we applied a couple of years ago when we were due to be away during the local elections. We sent our votes off 2 weeks ago. 

Only saw 1 candidate during the whole campaign and he got our votes. Oddly 1 main party never sent us any electoral material or pushed any leaflets through the door, never happened before. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is very difficult for Homes knowing what to do when a resident needs medical care; they obviously don't dare take any risks, whereas if at home you yourself may feel that home treatment is what is needed, and if you have LPAs can decide.

This exactly.

I have LPAs for an elderly gentleman with dementia and despite it having been agreed with both the hospital and in his care plan at the home, he still gets taken to the hospital in the middle of the night from time to time when he vomits blood.

This lovely man (he's a sweetie still) was released about 2 months ago with an 'end of life' plan in place and I was asked if he died in the ambulance returning him to the care home, whether they should continue or return his body to the hospital. Those of us close to him were convinced that we had said our goodbyes that night. He will celebrate his 95th birthday at the end of the month with a chocolate cake 🎂 at his request 😁

I just hope that they don't take him to hospital again and I wish the same for your mum @P&O SUE, unless it's for something they can actually 'fix'.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:32 AM, zap99 said:

Yes, looking a bit grim for some of those folk. Poor old Granada got hit again. I hope the Cruise companies don't avoid the affected Islands. The people will need the revenue.

There is a video of Barbados cruise terminal. Grim. If that is all over the Island they will need some help.

• Like 2

This is a bit of a random question😊.

My doctor has asked me to do blood pressure readings via a monitor borrowed from the surgery (they have non in!!). I remember reading about a wrist monitor (the arm one is so painful😪) that I think Avril uses but can't find the post. If you are reading this Avril I would be grateful if you could help.

Molly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2