P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

30 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lovely sunny day here today. Yesterday was nice as well, I’m just hoping that the good weather extended south to Edinburgh so @Megabear2 could enjoy her adventures.

Forecast for a drenching tomorrow unfortunately.

If it moved it got washed today to take advantage of the good drying weather.

We started off lovely and sunny but it is a lot cooler and showery now. I managed to get the washing done and dried on the line before fetching it in to iron.  I always think that it smells really nice and fresh when it has been dried outside.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

In that Weymouth now. Rain's stopped. Sun will be out now until Saturday.

The Sun’ll Come Out Tomorrow 🎶 

… but I think you should abandon all hope of seeing it (through the deluge) today 😕

It’ll probably be good for the gardens.  I’m not sure the farmers welcome it at this time

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Lovely sunny day here today. Yesterday was nice as well, I’m just hoping that the good weather extended south to Edinburgh so @Megabear2 could enjoy her adventures.

Forecast for a drenching tomorrow unfortunately.

If it moved it got washed today to take advantage of the good drying weather.

Not really.   It's been a bit grey in Edinburgh.   Not too bad first thing this morning.   I've been working on Azamara Quest here for the last three days.  Passengers have been able to get out and about, both locally and into Edinburgh itself.

Wednesday looking the best day of the week (Seven Seas Voyager's visit) compared to the visits of Viking Sky and Norwegian Dawn later in the week.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I tend to think that the only real rivalry is between England and Scotland.  Understandable historical reasons.

One of my Scottish ancestors was hung, drawn and quartered by the English. Fair doos. He was very rude about the King.

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But neighbours are often only rivals when playing each other, I normally support close friendly neighbours when they are playing someone else. 

Do you reckon that United diehards support City when they’re playing in Europe?  Would Swansea supporters cheer Cardiff if they played someone else in a cup final? Don’t think so somehow. 
At least the ‘Prince of Wales’ was there to cheer you on - oh, the irony! 

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do you reckon that United diehards support City when they’re playing in Europe?  Would Swansea supporters cheer Cardiff if they played someone else in a cup final? Don’t think so somehow. 

If there’s one thing you can say about the Welsh, they take parochialism to the nth degree.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But isn’t he Patron of Welsh Rugby Union?

Perhaps we should send a gunboat to sail round Cardiff bay.I'd send a carrier but there isn't enough tugs to tow it from Portsmouth and back.

• Haha 3

Lovely sunny and warm start to the day here, it was great to be out and about without a fleece or jacket, cloudy now but still warm. Nice to be able to sit out and read.

Looking forward to some nice weather later in the week. It seemed a bit strange walking around earlier, all the flags and bunting has gone from peoples gardens. Barnsley was quiet this morning too although they had just about sold out of everything at Costa, there was a brass band function over the weekend and it was very busy. There must be something else starting as they are erecting massive teepees in the square. 

Hope everyone has a good week and gets their share of nice weather.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

One of my Scottish ancestors was hung, drawn and quartered by the English. Fair doos. He was very rude about the King.

I thought Braveheart was an Aussie,they love the poms.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

But neighbours are often only rivals when playing each other, I normally support close friendly neighbours when they are playing someone else. 

Looks like it must be a Yorkshire thing John , I do the same . My mums side of 

the family all Yorkshire and my dads all Scots .

As a kid I grew up going to watch my dads team as he had settled was Rotherham.

If I went over the border it was Rangers we would go to with my granddad .

Back to present day I no longer go due to health  but when I used to , I loved it

having the local teams playing each other and having friends who support them ,

we took an interest in each others teams .  

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I feel sure he would have still gone if it had been Wales in the final.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

parochialism 

My new word of the day ,before Googling it .at a guess I would said ..

Two parrots crashing into each other 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

If there’s one thing you can say about the Welsh, they take parochialism to the nth degree.

Well if that’s the one thing you think you know about us, then pity you. All I can say is, since being a member here, I’ve also learned how many members take pride in having Yorkshire or Lancashire roots or celebrate their Cornish or London ties (other areas are also noted) and I applaud that, nothing parochial about it. 

As regards to having a limited or narrow outlook, I would, as a proud European, suggest that recent history shows that huge swathes of the UK have shown such tendencies! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Perhaps we should send a gunboat to sail round Cardiff bay.I'd send a carrier but there isn't enough tugs to tow it from Portsmouth and back.

I could lend you one of mine.   Craigleith.   She's currently on charter to Svitzer at Southampton / Fawley.   She's a mighty beast, well used to hauling the carriers in and out of Rosyth dockyard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I could lend you one of mine.   Craigleith.   She's currently on charter to Svitzer at Southampton / Fawley.   She's a mighty beast, well used to hauling the carriers in and out of Rosyth dockyard.

Did you take out the Queen Elizabeth carrier? We watched that.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did you take out the Queen Elizabeth carrier? We watched that.

Indeed my colleagues did.   It was a very squeaky moment under the bridges.  I can only dream of working on the tugs, but in fairness, I have been on board the entire fleet for a mooch around over the years.

It's cruise ships I get to go on regularly.  Next one, Norwegian Dawn on Saturday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I have always liked to think that the close ties the 4 UK countries have rise above petty differences, and that we have far more in common than any differences that define us.

Clearly I seem to be wrong.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Of course he would but we all know which way the wind blows! 

I believe you should count yourselves lucky having the Prince of Wales, we’ve got the Duke of York (broke out in a sweat just typing that😳).

• Haha 13

4 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Had a lovely morning in Trentham Gardens, it was very very busy must be everyone trying to beat the rain which has just started here. So @Josy1953 if you saw 3 people with a crazy labrador it was us 😁

Unfortunately we didn't make it to Trentham this morning, we went to Stone first and it was trying to rain when we finished there so we came home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

Indeed my colleagues did.   It was a very squeaky moment under the bridges.  I can only dream of working on the tugs, but in fairness, I have been on board the entire fleet for a mooch around over the years.

It's cruise ships I get to go on regularly.  Next one, Norwegian Dawn on Saturday.  

Who remembers" Tugboat Annie".I vaguely remember as a kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I have always liked to think that the close ties the 4 UK countries have rise above petty differences, and that we have far more in common than any differences that define us.

Clearly I seem to be wrong.

You are correct John.

I am Scottish and proud of that but I am also British. We have indeed more in common than divides us.

• Like 12