P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

They don't seem to be in decline here, there are plenty of them. They are a right pain in the neck!

I didn't feed any in June...promise I didn't...honest...ok, perhaps the odd pasty crust.🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Yes I meant 300mg aspirin.

I take 75mg every day now.

When I had my heart attack I took 3x 300mg before going to A&E.

Beware all of my tests were clear and they were about to send me home until we said my grandfather died of a heart attack aged 50 so they then did a blood test which showed enzymes that indicated a heart attack and I was rushed into cardiac care.

The consultant said the early aspirin possibly saved my life and definitely saved any heart damage when I had my angiogram where they fitted a stent.

I have been taking 75mg a day for about 30 years. No effect on me.

20240620_125711.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry folks but I don't think that we should be giving advise about taking over the counter meds. Aspirin like other things can be dangerous for some people.  I have an allergy to Aspirin that makes me violently sick and DH cannot take it because of the meds that he is on for his heart problems.

A person at Pauline's office had chest pains so Pauline gave her a 300mg aspirin.

She went to A&E and they confirmed a heart attack for this person and the Aspirin saved her life.

I would only advise Aspirin even 75mg only if someone was having chest pains.

After my heart attack I was told I had to take 75 mg Aspirin for life.

Winter is definitely coming. My flu jag appointment is in for early September. I hope this one is not painful like last years.

The second portent of winter is the fact that ASDA have their Christmas area up on line so one can already purchase the ubiquitous box of celebrations or roses, snow balls, Terrys chocolate oranges etc.

The garden centre has an area boxed off ready for the Christmas display, it’s August!

I think we should have a photo competition on here for the most ostentatious and far too early Christmas displays!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Winter is definitely coming. My flu jag appointment is in for early September. I hope this one is not painful like last years.

The second portent of winter is the fact that ASDA have their Christmas area up on line so one can already purchase the ubiquitous box of celebrations or roses, snow balls, Terrys chocolate oranges etc.

The garden centre has an area boxed off ready for the Christmas display, it’s August!

I think we should have a photo competition on here for the most ostentatious and far too early Christmas displays!

Tesco had Christmas chocolate on display last weekend, I bought 2 chocolate Santa's as a joke for our teenagers, they both laughed but still ate them.

The boxes of Celebrations, Roses etc seem to pop up earlier every year and for every possible celebration time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Tesco had Christmas chocolate on display last weekend, I bought 2 chocolate Santa's as a joke for our teenagers, they both laughed but still ate them.

The boxes of Celebrations, Roses etc seem to pop up earlier every year and for every possible celebration time.

chocolate Santas in August, that must be a record.

The boxes get smaller every year as well. They used to be useful for transporting cakes to events so you didn’t need to worry about getting a decent Tupperware cake carrier back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

chocolate Santas in August, that must be a record.

The boxes get smaller every year as well. They used to be useful for transporting cakes to events so you didn’t need to worry about getting a decent Tupperware cake carrier back.

Yes when the tins used to be really deep. My sister and I would argue over who was going to use it for home economics at school. Does anyone remember the roses tin from not too long ago when you looked at it a certain way the roses actually wobbled?

• Like 2

Are there English or Welsh school holidays in late November? (I want to avoid any such possibility).

Looking at a cruise and they seem to be offering free child places for the last week in November?

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Are there English or Welsh school holidays in late November? (I want to avoid any such possibility).

Looking at a cruise and they seem to be offering free child places for the last week in November?

The schools around here don't have holidays at the end of November but that doesn't mean that other areas in England don't, we fell foul of that problem a few years ago when we booked Britannia because the cruise finished a week before our local schools summer holidays so we thought that there wouldn't be lots of children but the ship had a lot of children from other areas.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

To be honest these days many parents take their children out of school during term time, so there will always be a few on board whatever the date.

A bit different from when I was at school in the 60s and 70s when you practically needed an act of parliament for a day off🤣

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

To be honest these days many parents take their children out of school during term time, so there will always be a few on board whatever the date.

A bit different from when I was at school in the 60s and 70s when you practically needed an act of parliament for a day off🤣

I don’t mind a few, it’s a tsunami of them that worries me. We made the mistake once of going in a school holiday. Not fun (for grumpy old me).

• Like 4

We had a brilliant evening bowling we won against the team that plays half a mile away from our club so there is a bit of local rivalry.  We only had 1 loser,  I won 21 6 so a great result for our team.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Our half term school hols is end of October. When I was a kid it was called tattie picking, where the older kids earned a few bob in the fields. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Our half term school hols is end of October. When I was a kid it was called tattie picking, where the older kids earned a few bob in the fields. 

It was called tattie howking up here and yes children did it from any age.

I started work at age 14, we were consequently thought of as “posh” as it was as a waitress at weekends and not in the fields. I even had the black and white uniform and frilly cap.

People would throw their hands up in horror now at the thought of children being employed as cheap farm labourers (or indeed a waitress). 

• Like 3

You didn't disturb me, but I m awake for a while (though must have had 6 or 7 hours), and having my mug of tea naughtily laced with a drop of the hard stuff this morning. 

I hope you get another hour or two, and that everyone will have a good  day today.   Some sunny weather  to come for a day or two for many of us.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Yes when the tins used to be really deep. My sister and I would argue over who was going to use it for home economics at school. Does anyone remember the roses tin from not too long ago when you looked at it a certain way the roses actually wobbled?

Do Roses have brandy liqueurs.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Called Spud Bashing week around here. A tractor and trailer would come to the village to pick them up.

My dad would not let me go but we had a golf course that I used to go to and caddy for them earning owt from ten bob up to a fiver per round if the tournaments were on.

• Like 3

Are any if you off on Iona tomorrow ?

We have friends going on her for a family get together, "no children allowed because they are all old enough to look after themselves"  I didn't point out that last week of school holidays there are probably going to be lots of families with children taking a last break of the summer 🤣

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Very much doubt it as October half term will have come and gone and the  Christmas one too far away. 

Re children not in school ...it is harder than it's ever been to get an authorised absence but parents are happy to pay the fines as it is still loads cheaper than the price they pay term time. 

• Like 1

Lovely sunny morning here and 18c.

Later we are walking the 3 miles to and from the Nantwich Food Festival that’s taking place this weekend. It’s a really good day out and a vast choice of stalls for buying lunch. We will break the walk on the way back by having a drink at a pub that is about half way 🍺🍷

Edited by Splice the mainbrace