P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Much of the spread is not actually people behaving badly (though there are some selfish idiots out there doing stupid things of course). People have to have health care, have go to work, have to food shop,  schools etc. 

The business of even very careful daily life spreads this virus. 

If that was how people actually did act during the covid restrictions then I would agree with you, however, surely you must have seen the stupid actions in England during and after the first lockdown, and even more so since yesterday. 

Avril

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Much of the spread is not actually people behaving badly (though there are some selfish idiots out there doing stupid things of course). People have to have health care, have go to work, have to food shop,  schools etc. 

Exactly. And until we get a sufficiently high proportion of the population vaccinated, with a sufficiently effective vaccine, not a lot changes - except that you’d hope to see the rates of infection and pressures on the NHS falling again.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It is and this year is special. Jupiter and Saturn rising can be seen with the naked eye for the first time since the Middle Ages.

I have been logging the sunrise/sunset times for the last few days, better than talking to the furniture

Thursday - 07.58/15.50

Friday - 07.59/15.50

Saturday - 07.59/15.51

Today - 08.00/15.51

Tomorrow - hope so

The sunrise/sunsets are not symmetrical around noon GMT so I looked it up and now have brain strain. GMT is Greenwich MEAN Time and you need a good sundial for local noon. Apparently it is because the Earths orbit around the Sun is an ellipse not a circle so its speed increases and decreases as the months go by. It gets really complicated after that 😵

That black cat could not get through the fence and it was not happy because its tail was thrashing around, probably not helped by the magpie the other side which I am convinced was taunting it. 😁

It is now 2-1 to the cat, I am catching up 😈

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thaks. I think my middle daughter and her husband in London both have it (awaiting test results, but have all the symptoms). If so, the only place she's been is one day in the office about 2 weeks ago (no option), 5 days before first symptoms appeared. Her husband got it 4 days later, thus caught it from her.

Graham caught it during an eye procedure in hospital. 

I'm not sure what any of these people could have done to avoid getting it.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If that was how people actually did act during the covid restrictions then I would agree with you, however, surely you must have seen the stupid actions in England during and after the first lockdown, and even more so since yesterday. 

Avril

Yes I did see them and these are some the idiots I was referring to. There are many examples of idiots.

I do however feel that the silent majority are all doing the right thing. All of my family and friends have, we follow the rules. My neighbours do, no people round except the odd coffee, in the garden in the cold. 

Some of those who follow the rules and indeed contribute to society in very positive ways get the virus by just doing their job.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Some of those who follow the rules and indeed contribute to society in very positive ways get the virus by just doing their job.

Indeed so. Two of the cases in our village are good people who put themselves out delivering food etc to the elderly, and my son’s fiancée caught it as a hospital consultant.

Unavoidable - though of course it’s made even worse by the fools we all see, unwittingly spreading it to the sensible.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s the shortest day everyone.  Here, at least, it’s a lovely day

Me beginning of the end, let’s cope with 25 December (it’s only a date) and let’s look towards the longest day, in 6 months time, and to us all seeing a positive future

Ho hum

Keep smiling.  Be happy with what you have; don’t make it worthless grieving for what you haven’t 

Was I complaining?

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I did see them and these are some the idiots I was referring to. There are many examples of idiots.

I do however feel that the silent majority are all doing the right thing. All of my family and friends have, we follow the rules. My neighbours do, no people round except the odd coffee, in the garden in the cold. 

I agree it’s very quiet round here and all the friends I talk to are doing the right things and many planning a much smaller Christmas than people were “allowed”.

I’m actually horrified when I see things like the London train pictures. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Thaks. I think my middle daughter and her husband in London both have it (awaiting test results, but have all the symptoms). If so, the only place she's been is one day in the office about 2 weeks ago (no option), 5 days before first symptoms appeared. Her husband got it 4 days later, thus caught it from her.

I hope your daughter and son in law get over it quickly, younger people usually do thankfully.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

My favourite was Hayley Tamaddon, her Jai Ho was simply wonderful!

Yes she was good too. I actually went to see the Tour at the O2 the year she won. So I saw her perform Jai Ho and luckily for me Ray Quinn was there too. Torvill and Dean also performed so it was a great show!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I saw a short clip this morning of the mass migration at London train stations, and then they wonder why this virus is still spreading!!!! Honestly, I give up😲

Avril

I saw that as well Avril, but can’t help but feel that it might be a bit of press over exaggeration, a bit like the summer beach scenes where low down panned shots made it look like everyone was cheek by jowl, yet overhead drone shots showed a very different picture of people in spaced family groups.

I have been to St Pancras International dozens of times, and it is packed at the best of times, let alone the Saturday before Christmas when thousands of foreign nationals will be heading home for Christmas. The area shown looked like Eurostar services to me, not the relatively few domestic services that go from there so, again, the ‘spreading it around the U.K.’ headline doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny. For that story to have credibility, I would love to know how many ‘walk up’ tickets were sold during Saturday evening. I would put money on the fact that the vast majority of people in those shots had tickets that they had purchased in advance of the announcement. I should imagine that most services out of that station were sold out so, in many cases, walk up tickets wouldn’t have been an option anyway.. Doubtless some people would have packed a bag immediately after the announcement and headed off early for where they were planning on going next week (by car, train or whatever) but I can’t help but feel that this might be another case of the press not letting the facts get in the way of a good headline!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Hope they are all ok and recover well if they do have it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I hope your daughter and son in law get over it quickly, younger people usually do thankfully.

Many thanks - they already seem to be getting better rather than worse - both in their 30s, fit and healthy.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I saw that as well Avril, but can’t help but feel that it might be a bit of press over exaggeration, a bit like the summer beach scenes

The one I saw was filmed on a mobile phone and was taken looking down from the platform above. 

Avril

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I saw that as well Avril, but can’t help but feel that it might be a bit of press over exaggeration, a bit like the summer beach scenes where low down panned shots made it look like everyone was cheek by jowl, yet overhead drone shots showed a very different picture of people in spaced family groups.

I have been to St Pancras International dozens of times, and it is packed at the best of times, let alone the Saturday before Christmas when thousands of foreign nationals will be heading home for Christmas. The area shown looked like Eurostar services to me, not the relatively few domestic services that go from there so, again, the ‘spreading it around the U.K.’ headline doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny. For that story to have credibility, I would love to know how many ‘walk up’ tickets were sold during Saturday evening. I would put money on the fact that the vast majority of people in those shots had tickets that they had purchased in advance of the announcement. I should imagine that most services out of that station were sold out so, in many cases, walk up tickets wouldn’t have been an option anyway.. Doubtless some people would have packed a bag immediately after the announcement and headed off early for where they were planning on going next week (by car, train or whatever) but I can’t help but feel that this might be another case of the press not letting the facts get in the way of a good headline!

I must admit I did wonder. There were loads of photos in Liverpool when they were first put in tier 3. I know people in Liverpool and they said that was the student quarter and they were all students not the local people. I had seen a news report with a reporter standing in the centre of town and it was empty, so a picture isn’t always what it seems.

I went to a few coastal areas in the summer and because I know the quiet places they were quiet.

I just checked out Jupiter and Saturn, low down in the south West. Even with my 8x30 binoculars Jupiter's disk is plainly visible. The fainter Saturn is at 11 o'clock. If the sky is clear tomorrow night I will try my field scope, that goes up to 45 X magnification

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

My brother in law and his wife have covid at the moment and Tim is sure he caught it at the hospital where he is a consultant.My nephew who is a paramedic knows quite a few of his colleagues who have caught the virus too.

• Like 7

Friends have a dilemma for xmas day. All 3 of the family at home have had Covid a couple of months ago. Their daughter, son in law and grandson were going to visit on xmas evening so the little lad could get his presents so medically there is no risk, but ethically?

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Annie.

I'm so sorry to hear your middle daughter and her husband might have caught Covid19.

I sincerely hope their covid19 is mild and they don't have to go to hospital and if they do it is only for a short time.

Very best wishes to you and your family.

Stay safe.

Graham x.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, ann141 said:

My brother in law and his wife have covid at the moment and Tim is sure he caught it at the hospital where he is a consultant.My nephew who is a paramedic knows quite a few of his colleagues who have caught the virus too.

Sending best wishes for all your family who have covid19 and hope they all make a quick and full recovery.

Graham.

• Like 3

On a lighter note the house smells nice right now. I have been making mulled wine, home made is much nicer than the sugar loaded bottles from supermarkets. 

I made a batch of syrup from fresh spices and orange and use a decent red wine and some port. 

The smell is almost as good as the wine!

• Like 2