P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

So sorry,we feed loads of semiferal cats in Italy and are are quite attached to a few.Some have died in various unpleasant circumstances so can appreciate the anguish,Brian.

The Cat turned up in the Garden about 14 years ago, they fed her for a few days while they tried to find her owners without success.

She has been with them ever since, they named her Doris after Doris Day who ran animal sanctuary in California.

She had been frail for a while but overnight she got very much worse, she was due to see the vet after Christmas.

They do have 2 other much younger Cats that were adopted since so they will soften the loss.

Thank you all for your kindness over the last few months and hopefully we will all have a better New Year.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Still had no dinner, went to the Daughter in laws for a lunchtime buffet.

Found that the Cat was very unwell, ended up making a trip to the emergency vet in York.

The Cat has passed away, nobody feels like dinner now, will make do with a Chicken sandwich, what a year.

I'm so sorry to hear this, my condolences.

I was too busy to check in yesterday but glad to see most of us had a good day. Ours was very different to usual with just the mother and father-in-law visiting but we did manage to speak to my mum and sister on a zoom meeting. I think Christmas dinner was probably the best we've ever turned out, probably helped by cooking for less people than usual.

Best of all we had a brief FaceTime chat with my dad in hospital. They don't use Zoom and instead usually use an app called JusTalk but the few times we've tried there's been endless problems with it. I requested a JusTalk call but nothing came of it, next thing I knew there was an unidentified FaceTime call coming in on my iPhone. One of the nurses had got my number from my dad then used his personal phone to connect us for 10 minutes or so before the signal was lost (dad is in a basement ward at hospital so this happens regularly). The thoughfulness of that nurse, working on Christmas Day, really touched me. 

Happy Boxing Day everyone.

• Like 15

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I was too busy to check in yesterday but glad to see most of us had a good day. Ours was very different to usual with just the mother and father-in-law visiting but we did manage to speak to my mum and sister on a zoom meeting. I think Christmas dinner was probably the best we've ever turned out, probably helped by cooking for less people than usual.

Best of all we had a brief FaceTime chat with my dad in hospital. They don't use Zoom and instead usually use an app called JusTalk but the few times we've tried there's been endless problems with it. I requested a JusTalk call but nothing came of it, next thing I knew there was an unidentified FaceTime call coming in on my iPhone. One of the nurses had got my number from my dad then used his personal phone to connect us for 10 minutes or so before the signal was lost (dad is in a basement ward at hospital so this happens regularly). The thoughfulness of that nurse, working on Christmas Day, really touched me. 

Glad you got to speak to your Dad Damian, what a lovely nurse.

Our dinner seemed less stressful and turned out better than normal years, but I wonder if it was better or we have just become more thankful? 

Andy 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, DamianG said:

That was nice of the nurse so you were able to speak to your dad.

Sounds like you had a nice day.

Hope you and your family have a good boxing day.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A big thank you to all our medical staff who are working over the 

Christmas period and all others that have to do so the vets etc.

Nursing home staff ,cleaners the list is endless but Thanks we have 

not forgotten you.:classic_smile:

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Snap!!!!   I've just finished downloading crime fiction books from my wishlist to my kindle, thanks to Amazon gift cards. 

Avril

I must admit I prefer real books, to those on a digital device, I can read them for longer without getting a headache. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I must admit I prefer real books, to those on a digital device, I can read them for longer without getting a headache. 

I normally visit the library for my reading material,but during the first lockdown I finished all my own reading material some of it revisted, so after the library  closed again for the 2nd lockdown I tried out their e book download facility. I download them to my tablet and although I was always sceptical about ebooks, I found it was actually very good, and even when our libraries reopen I might use the e-book facilty instead in future.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The main advantage of a Kindle for me, is that I tend to only buy those books offered at 99p. Given that I read around 70 books a year, that's a major cost saving.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

What a lovely photo bro. he looks so different from the bedraggled little thing I saw before. I hope he gets adopted soon, someone will be really lucky to have him.

Sis

LOL,he aint gonna get to Crufts but he's our champion.

• Like 2

I hope that everyone is feeling well this morning after the over indulgence that most of of us are guilty of yesterday.

I have decided that my best present yesterday was a box of teas, I don't drink regular tea, just chamomile but my niece have me a box of fruit teas so I tried one this moning, Rose, Chamomile and Lavender and it was the best flavour I have ever tried.I

What has been your best present this year.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My husband prefers real books but I love my kindle because I have loads of books downloaded and when we are away from home I never run out of reading material, he has to take 3 or 4 books to read when ever we go away so extra to carry.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Frank must have good hearing, as Mrs W said that she only had a tiny "flatunetory dusturbance" !

I think think the wind was coming from a northerly direction at the time? I hope all's calm in Lincolnshire this morning.

Avril

The spirit of Christmas is alive and kicking in these pandemic times.

Mrs Kalos was reading a local forum from yesterday to me ..

A person wrote ... 9;10  Well that's our Christmas lunch over .. our oven has just gone !

First reply  Hi I own a café do you want me to open my kitchen so you can cook your meal ?

2 Response   .. This is my mobile please ring I can get a portable oven to you now ..

Just keep the oven until yours is fixed .

The upshot was he took the 2nd response's offer and was humbled by the kindness of 

total strangers  who reached out to him on Christmas morning to help him .

Now that's what I call Christmas :classic_smile:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

next thing I knew there was an unidentified FaceTime call coming in on my iPhone. One of the nurses had got my number from my dad then used his personal phone to connect us for 10 minutes or so before the signal was lost (dad is in a basement ward at hospital so this happens regularly). The thoughfulness of that nurse, working on Christmas Day, really touched me. 

That Damian, was the the best gift anyone could have recieved for christmas. I'm sure it made your christmas perfect.

Avril

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think think the wind was coming from a northerly direction at the time? I hope all's calm in Lincolnshire this morning.

Avril

All quiet in Lincolnshire at the monent. Waiting for the gales tonight, but hopefully less stormy inside!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good idea.

Cold and damp here this morning.

Same here too Graham. It's been windy overnight (nothing to do with the sprouts either😁 I'll get that in  first before kalos,Andy or bro) I hope storm Bella doesn't cause too much damage in the south, we've had enough problems for one year.

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Same here too Graham. It's been windy overnight (nothing to do with the sprouts either😁 I'll get that in  first before kalos,Andy or bro) I hope storm Bella doesn't cause too much damage in the south, we've had enough problems for one year.

Avril

We have had storm Bella here this morning... 

She was doing her business outside, trod in it, panicked and ran through the house... 

Right in the middle of breakfast... 

Andy 

Screenshot_20201225_195502.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Our Christmas was good just the two of us ,very nice and relaxing .

According to News the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are spending

Christmas at Windsor Castle this year due to Covid fears, just the 2 of them.

Or just the 152 of them if you include the servants.:classic_unsure:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I prefer real books as well, but unfortunately I can't hold them for long now as they make my wrists and thumbs hurt. Darned arthritis!!! Two years ago my grandson bought me a kindle paperwhite (kind on the eyes) because he saw how upset I was getting, not being able to read for long without having to rest my hands. He'd preloaded it with some of my favourite  titles that I have in my many bookcases. I was sceptical at first but now I can read for hours again and don't have to lug all the heavy books on holiday.

Still miss the feel and smell of a real book though.

Avril

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We have had storm Bella here this morning... 

She was doing her business outside, trod in it, panicked and ran through the house... 

Right in the middle of breakfast... 

Andy 

Screenshot_20201225_195502.jpg

I would have loved to have a box and found that cute little bundle inside.

Avril

• Like 1