P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You cannot be there 24 hrs a day and if they are after ducklings which I think is rare for herons then they will get them sometime.

Last year I think only one little moorhen didn't survive out of 7 ( I think it was). Not sure why.

I am not good with 'nature' though ---- I am too soft and stress too much !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Presto - Interestingly, we were in Wales yesterday and came away proud and pleased owners of a static caravan on a site you are familiar with. I tried to suggest you should get rewarded for recommending the site by being so effusive about it on here but as I couldn’t tell Joe your name, he couldn’t do it. Next time you see him, may be worth mentioning Pete in A070 learnt about the site from you online and see what he says. Apparently, had we not bought it, he could have sold it to three people today who had seen it online and turned up hoping it was still available. We are not on the front but the plot is in an elevated row with a panoramic view of the sea. Hopefully the plumbing will be all connected by Friday so we can spend our first weekend there. Mrs Pete says can you think of anything we will need to take with us that we won’t have thought of?

I know Harry is back and hope he doesn’t find the baby moorhens I saw in the pond near Packmoor today.

Very exciting Pete!

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We weren’t favoured enough to use the buggy. Our son was with us as was Charlie the dog and we walked the short distance. We aren’t right up at the top, we are in a group of about 6 vans, about halfway up the slope on the left, rather than at the top on the right. Seems very exclusive, I just hope the neighbours are OK, although I am conscious that they won’t be there every time we are.

I can empathise with setting up costs have just spent about £300 in Dunelm.

Know exactly where you are - a nice spot and great views. Wait until you see the rainbows and sunset skies !!! Made us laugh as you look down on us from above ---- ha ha. We are on the flat part right on the front and you will come past us every time you visit and walk Charlie !!!! What sort of a dog is he and we can come out and wave when we see you !!! 🙂

£300 ----- mmmmmmm. Hate to say this but it gets far worse 😉

Re what you need --- it is everything you need in your house but on a smaller scale ....

25 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Know exactly where you are - a nice spot and great views. Wait until you see the rainbows and sunset skies !!! Made us laugh as you look down on us from above ---- ha ha. We are on the flat part right on the front and you will come past us every time you visit and walk Charlie !!!! What sort of a dog is he and we can come out and wave when we see you !!! 🙂

£300 ----- mmmmmmm. Hate to say this but it gets far worse 😉

Re what you need --- it is everything you need in your house but on a smaller scale ....

This is Charlie in the snow a few months ago. You are perfectly welcome to wave whenever he drags me past. He is being groomed on Thursday for the first time since lockdown so may look more presentable at the weekend.

£300 is just the latest bill and not the last. We will be nipping down to the Wedgwood outlet tomorrow hoping to find some cheap but presentable crockery. 

1A2BED21-1E10-44A7-B4AC-F987693C3306.thumb.jpeg.fe576cdb54d8e2c83532ba919587a9a2.jpeg

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, pete14 said:

This is Charlie in the snow a few months ago. You are perfectly welcome to wave whenever he drags me past. He is being groomed on Thursday for the first time since lockdown so may look more presentable at the weekend.

£300 is just the latest bill and not the last. We will be nipping down to the Wedgwood outlet tomorrow hoping to find some cheap but presentable crockery. 

1A2BED21-1E10-44A7-B4AC-F987693C3306.thumb.jpeg.fe576cdb54d8e2c83532ba919587a9a2.jpeg

We will keep a look out. We tried to stock up with Potteries pottery but gave up and spent a fortune at Denby Potteries at Cheshire Oaks as it was all made in the UK. How sad is it that nothing in the Potteries we thought was half decent was local ...

Hubby says something silly We forgot was a television aerial cable and could not get one anywhere local. 

If you are over this weekend think high tog for the duvet ! 

A tip We were given is to use electricity for heating and cooking as much as you can as the gas is LPG and far more expensive.

Padlocks for your decking underneath the caravan as it is a great storage space.

Finally .... a bottle opener ............

Am sure we will think of loads more .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Last year I think only one little moorhen didn't survive out of 7 ( I think it was). Not sure why.

I am not good with 'nature' though ---- I am too soft and stress too much !!!!!!!!!!

That is why some bird species lay large clutches of eggs or have many chicks they dont all survive thats nature for many reasons and dont think the Heron is all to blame.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

That is why some bird species lay large clutches of eggs or have many chicks they dont all survive thats nature for many reasons and dont think the Heron is all to blame.

I know ... once saw an orphaned load of ducklings picked off one at a time by a load of crows and there was nothing  we could do.  It was heart breaking but nature at its cruellest as the crows had young too. I do understand but hubby says that as long as something it alive and breathing I will.stress ... so am happy to be that way as there are too many who don't care.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Have been looking into my ancestors and it is amazing that the families had between 8 and 10 children. How sad it was the same for our ancestors with the number of children they had  just a century ago... and in some ways for the same reason. 

We regularly have a visit from a Sparrow Hawk who takes Sparrows feeding on our bird table and to see him pluck the feathers and then eat the bird is not a pretty sight but thats nature he has to eat and it is a beautiful bird. Plus there are loads of sparrows about

7 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Magpies are probably the worst for taking others birds young.

Suppose it is called the pecking order ... not long after we saw the ducklings attacked I saw  a magpie attack and carry off a sparrow. May sound mushy but the two events really upset me. Nature I know, but cruel none the less

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We regularly have a visit from a Sparrow Hawk who takes Sparrows feeding on our bird table and to see him pluck the feathers and then eat the bird is not a pretty sight but thats nature he has to eat and it is a beautiful bird. Plus there are loads of sparrows about

Yip - same with the ducklings ---- to be blunt heard the little ones cry out. Really upset me then and still does.

Sadly not as many birds of any sort around as we want at the minute ------ mankind has sorted that one !

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

End of the day the worst animal in the world for killing other animals is the human being.

So true - I remember flocks of birds flying over the house every evening as a child to go to the local park. It was like huge clouds of black birds. Now - nothing at all - same house. 😞

Good morning on this very sunny 2.c morning but a very chilly look to it.:classic_smile:

Lovely photos of the caravans with views as well. I'm sure Pete and Presto

will have many happy times sat in their caravans taking in those views.

When we had our static caravan when the kids were younger we also loved 

kitting it out . What we did was buy things like new slippers for use in the caravan

only and a fair few clothes save lugging them there every time we travelled to the van .

Also kept made sure we had teas /coffee and a few long life milk and a few tinned foods,

That way it was a case of pick up the caravan /car keys and go. Great feeling knowing 

you did not have to pack/unpack the car every time we travelled to the van . I hope you 

have some brilliant times in your new holiday home's .Enjoy :classic_smile:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning on this very sunny 2.c morning but a very chilly look to it.:classic_smile:

Lovely photos of the caravans with views as well. I'm sure Pete and Presto

will have many happy times sat in their caravans taking in those views.

When we had our static caravan when the kids were younger we also loved 

kitting it out . What we did was buy things like new slippers for use in the caravan

only and a fair few clothes save lugging them there every time we travelled to the van .

Also kept made sure we had teas /coffee and a few long life milk and a few tinned foods,

That way it was a case of pick up the caravan /car keys and go. Great feeling knowing 

you did not have to pack/unpack the car every time we travelled to the van . I hope you 

have some brilliant times in your new holiday home's .Enjoy :classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos. Whenever I go to the coast, my iPad will come with me so I can read your morning thoughts which I hope will continue when things get back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Suppose it is called the pecking order ... not long after we saw the ducklings attacked I saw  a magpie attack and carry off a sparrow. May sound mushy but the two events really upset me. Nature I know, but cruel none the less

It's not nice to see the baby birds being pecked off by magpies, crows or sparrow hawks but I hate domestic cats prowling around. We chase off cats when ever we see them, most now are scared and run off out of the garden as soon as they see us. Cats the pets that people share with others!!

This year we have had a very early baby Woodpigeon and Blackbird nests are very active in the Pyracantha.

6 degrees here and foggy, less dense than earlier. Fog becomes mist when visibility is more than 1 km.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It's not nice to see the baby birds being pecked off by magpies, crows or sparrow hawks but I hate domestic cats prowling around. We chase off cats when ever we see them, most now are scared and run off out of the garden as soon as they see us. Cats the pets that people share with others!!

This year we have had a very early baby Woodpigeon and Blackbird nests are very active in the Pyracantha.

I completely agree with you about cats. We have several around where we live including two bengals, closely genetically related to wildcats you may see in a zoo. They look beautiful but can be vicious with other smaller animals, including weaker and older cats. I find that having a dog helps to keep them out of our garden.

• Like 2