P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s a very low risk, based on that evidence, but those same findings are a bit concerning about how long the virus hangs around after an infected person has been in a room.

They liken it to a room someone has smoked in and if you open a window it weakens it.

If you are in a room stood chatting to an infected person then chances are you would 

contract covid regardless of how many times you have washed your hands, that's where 

the face mask would come in as protection , same as you Harry  it's a bit concerning  and 

we have to be aware of the risk's involved . As stated by others hand washing can only be 

a good thing for all the other viruses out there as well .:classic_smile:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

They liken it to a room someone has smoked in and if you open a window it weakens it.

If you are in a room stood chatting to an infected person then chances are you would 

contract covid regardless of how many times you have washed your hands, that's where 

the face mask would come in as protection , same as you Harry  it's a bit concerning  and 

we have to be aware of the risk's involved . As stated by others hand washing can only be 

a good thing for all the other viruses out there as well .:classic_smile:

I think you and I might have the same concerns, for similar reasons, Kalos.  Happy to read all the advice and statistics, but putting them into practice depends very much on your own health, your own view of the risk to it, where you live, and what you do.

I'm very comfortable chatting to people outside in the garden, on the patio, distanced, but meeting with those same people in the summerhouse would bother me.

For the first time ever (and I've always been dead against them for environmental reasons) we've bought a patio heater.  Seems crazy, but if it means we can still safely meet family and other people outside in the autumn, maybe even winter, should we have a third wave, then it will be worthwhile.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s the report I saw referred to in the US papers. Quite how the Mail managed to translate 1 in 10,000 into 1 in 200,000 escapes me, but they always have their own agenda.

It’s a very low risk, based on that evidence, but those same findings are a bit concerning about how long the virus hangs around after an infected person has been in a room.

I imagine that the same data would be applied to someone infected with flu, but we don't panic unnecessarily about that sort of situation, we just need to become used to covid in the same way.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I imagine that the same data would be applied to someone infected with flu, but we don't panic unnecessarily about that sort of situation, we just need to become used to covid in the same way.

That's a popular line in some quarters,  John, but it takes no account of the much higher infectivity and mortality of Covid.

I'm sure we will get used to living with Covid, but probably not for a while. 

• Like 3

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

That's a popular line in some quarters,  John, but it takes no account of the much higher infectivity and mortality of Covid.

I am no expert, but I guess that the infection and death rate is because it is a totally new infection.  None of us have had any immunity to it, but after the initial pandemic and the vaccination roll out, I would hope that future infection, hospitalisation and death rates will be significantly reduced.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s the report I saw referred to in the US papers. Quite how the Mail managed to translate 1 in 10,000 into 1 in 200,000 escapes me, but they always have their own agenda.

Sorry guys - 1 in 10,000 is correct. A combination of inattention whilst posting and not reviewing prior to posting caused my mistake. Mea culpa.

But, I think the figures still show that contracting CV19 via surface contamination is very low. And, how it can be determined that an individual contracted CV19 through surface contact versus airborne transmission is beyond me!

So, don't worry about touching anything, don't worry about being outdoors, don't worry about being indoors in a well ventilated environment.  But don't meet up with your family in the living room  unless you keep the doors and windows open!

30 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am no expert, but I guess that the infection and death rate is because it is a totally new infection.  None of us have had any immunity to it, but after the initial pandemic and the vaccination roll out, I would hope that future infection, hospitalisation and death rates will be significantly reduced.

We’ll need to be on our guards for a considerable time to come, unfortunately.

The virus is mutating all the time, and the vaccine may be less effective against these new variants. It’s very fast moving - they can give us booster shots, but the virus will always be one step ahead.

India is now in the grip of a new wave of pandemic and there’s reports that a new ‘Indian variant’ is fuelling it.

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think we will get used to a Covid world eventually, but it will mean an acceptance that our way of life has changed.

I don’t think we are anywhere near that point yet  as a society

• Like 4

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I think we will get used to a Covid world eventually, but it will mean an acceptance that our way of life has changed.

I don’t think we are anywhere near that point yet  as a society

I think you need to be more positive.

Covid deaths are now virtually zero, there is much more awareness of mutant strains, with concomitant vaccines being available to be used as boosters, and herd immunity, in the UK at least,  is virtually achieved.

So, I for one, am feeling very optimistic. Tomorrow I will queue up for a haircut, then have a pint in my local pub "tent" and look forward to better days.    

• Like 3

I hope the optimists are right

I remember the low case and death numbers early autumn.  I look around the world at the near continent and India and Brazil.  There are still potential pratfalls

It is wonderful that we have vaccines and ongoing vaccine developments but I still think a degree of caution is required.  That’s how I’ll operate for the foreseeable future anyway.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I hope the optimists are right

I remember the low case and death numbers early autumn.  I look around the world at the near continent and India and Brazil.  There are still potential pratfalls

It is wonderful that we have vaccines and ongoing vaccine developments but I still think a degree of caution is required.  That’s how I’ll operate for the foreseeable future anyway.

Quite - I find the situation in Chile worrying too.  A high vaccination percentage, but sharply rising case numbers put down, perhaps, to complacency.

And whatever government ministers like to say about trusting the great British public, anyone with any common sense knows that self-evidently, you can't!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/11/is-vaccinating-against-covid-enough-what-we-can-learn-from-other-countries

• Like 7

Good morning everyone on this chilly -2 morning  but at least it's sunny here .

All this excitement people going shopping .Anyone going to the big one's  like 

Meadowhall ? Just remember Shopping centre's,  you've seen one, you've seen the mall :classic_wacko:

A man is shopping without a mask on looking at store items without wearing a mask 

Shop assistant says "excuse me but , you can't shop hear without a mask on."

Man replied " but  I have a Medical condition that makes it hard for me to breathe."

Shop assistant "Sorry to hear that what's condition?"  Man: "Covid-19" :classic_ohmy:    

I think sometimes it's easier to shop online but not always .I tried to look up lighters
All I found is 14.849 matches.:classic_unsure: Also the last time my wife and I went grocery shopping

with our masks on when we got home and took off our masks, I discovered I brought home

the wrong wife. So be careful  people ! 

Whatever you get up to today be it going out shopping or staying put for your own personal

reasons, remember it's ok, in our own time will be just fine but everyone of us carry on taking

care and being safe ! :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite - I find the situation in Chile worrying too.  A high vaccination percentage, but sharply rising case numbers put down, perhaps, to complacency.

The FT had a good article about the situation in Chile.  The issue seems to be caused by the country coming out of lockdown too quickly,  no ban being put on Chileans travelling to Brazil for their holidays,  and social distancing not being maintained,  due to lockdown fatigue.

I think it fair to say that the UK government is making sure that we are not making the same mistakes as Chile.

• Like 2

Good morning. Lovely sunny morning, very cold but you can't have everything.  Life is about to start up again and I for one am determined to be careful but positive. Not desperate for a pint outdoors until it warms up, weather not the pint !

Stay safe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And whatever government ministers like to say about trusting the great British public, anyone with any common sense knows that self-evidently, you can't!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/11/is-vaccinating-against-covid-enough-what-we-can-learn-from-other-countries

It appears that the Chinese vaccine used in Chile is not as effective as the ones we are using, which is why they have this current spike in infections.

Good morning, on the first big step towards freedom(again). We however, shall continue  to wait to venture out until  after our 2nd jabs, as Barnsley still seems to be having problems again at the minute, being the third highest in the country with 110.1 cases per 100k, and still rising. Our local paper and Dan Jarvis have been warning about being too complacent, so we can wait a little longer, better safe than sorry.

Quite a hard frost this morning, -3c, but the sun is out and the forecast is to reach 9c. I might have an hour in the garden later, we shall see.

So whatever you're up to today, visiting the hairdressers, making a dash for freedom or staying home, be careful, take care and stay safe. You too Andy and Michelle.

Avril

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Happy haircut day everyone💇‍♂️💇‍♀️

I couldn't get an appointment until Wednesday.1st haircut in UK for 2 years.I normally walk in and say to my guy il solito (the usual).I've got to start all over again with a stranger,lol.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think you need to be more positive.

Covid deaths are now virtually zero, there is much more awareness of mutant strains, with concomitant vaccines being available to be used as boosters, and herd immunity, in the UK at least,  is virtually achieved.

So, I for one, am feeling very optimistic. Tomorrow I will queue up for a haircut, then have a pint in my local pub "tent" and look forward to better days.    

If I recall correctly, you were saying that the deaths were virtually down to zero last summer........ and look what’s happened since.

I will also be having my haircut when my appointment comes round in a couple of weeks time and will be getting a cup of coffee in an outside cafe on a nice day, and will enjoy these freedoms. 

But I’ve learnt enough over the last 16 months to understand that just because the U.K. is Ok right now, it doesn’t mean that we will be always be ok.

The global pandemic is still raging, and if a vaccine resistant variant gets into the U.K. and starts to spread, then the whole cycle starts again.

We will need to be on our guard for a long time to come, and, as I said, most people haven’t grasped that yet. 

None of this is to do with ‘pessimism’ or ‘optimism’, it’s just the way it is. 

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning, on the first big step towards freedom(again). We however, shall continue  to wait to venture out until  after our 2nd jabs, as Barnsley still seems to be having problems again at the minute, being the third highest in the country with 110.1 cases per 100k, and still rising. Our local paper and Dan Jarvis have been warning about being too complacent, so we can wait a little longer, better safe than sorry.

Quite a hard frost this morning, -3c, but the sun is out and the forecast is to reach 9c. I might have an hour in the garden later, we shall see.

So whatever you're up to today, visiting the hairdressers, making a dash for freedom or staying home, be careful, take care and stay safe. You too Andy and Michelle.

Avril

Avril,, this is a perfect example of ‘living with coronavirus’. 

You are monitoring the incidence of infections locally, and are taking action accordingly.

Just one example of a way that our behaviour may change in the medium term 

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The FT had a good article about the situation in Chile.  The issue seems to be caused by the country coming out of lockdown too quickly,  no ban being put on Chileans travelling to Brazil for their holidays,  and social distancing not being maintained,  due to lockdown fatigue.

I think it fair to say that the UK government is making sure that we are not making the same mistakes as Chile.

All of which shows that we still need to be on our guard, as long as it takes 

• Like 1